Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,343,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
i have always maintained that there is not a truly bad area in Las Vegas [ive driven thru Camden NJ] and ive lived in nearly every part of town ....there are pockets all over.... and there are scum all over .....it is what it is..... i personally wouldnt live in the Scummerline area on a bet.....put thats a personal preferance....op on the side of the hill where Scoop lives is Great [used to live on Turtle Hill ] but you drive thru some lesser arease to get there [WOW ma LOOKIE there thems WORKING people]
I've not been everywhere in and around LV, but this was the impression I got, too. I went through some of the supposed bad areas mentioned here on CD and didn't think they were THAT BAD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times
I got lost in Naked City once. It wasn't pretty. I knew I wandered into a bad area, and needed to get out NOW.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I got lost in Naked City once. It wasn't pretty. I knew I wandered into a bad area, and needed to get out NOW.
I know a guy who used to be a process server. He had some crazy stories from that area.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM

^
I bet.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,193,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A lot of the houses, duplexes, apartemnts and empty lots are for sale over in that area. There are even a couple of options to buy several plots of real estate all at once at an auction coming up. According to the map I looked at last year, almost everything is for sale in Naked City. Someone with the right amount of funds could own a great deal of real estate and start the gentrification process.

Back in April I found a 7-plex for sale for right around 100K, 100% occupied, Owner financing, only 10% down...but...owner was only able to collect 50% of the rent owed every month, half the units didn't have AC, always went with his large sons whenever visiting the property, shared utilities, over 100K in delayed maintenance costs

Naked City.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,078,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
According to the map I looked at last year, almost everything is for sale in Naked City.
Including illegal substances - it seems.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,856,689 times
There are a couple of different criteria at work here. The two big ones are school and actual crime risk.

There are however pretty nice areas that can meet both criteria at a reasonable price.

One does not need to move to Summerlin to be reasonably safe. And there are lots of new housing in the far suburbs well under $200,000. Providence for instance has lots of stuff around $150 to $175K.

There are areas in places like 89108 that are fine and have acceptable schools. Outstanding schools are pretty much limited to the more expensive suburbs but reasonable is quite possible in other areas.

Crime can be a little more tricky. There are areas worse than the naked city and the alphabet streets...and harrier appeared to be considering them. The area north of UNLV is in places more dangerous than the naked city. It is also a nicer place to live but it has pretty bad odds on getting ripped off.

I don't think I would recommend that a couple go for the area around Nellis unless the lady was hardened and packed a gun. Even a small man might well be in trouble. It is not the apartments that are bad it is the neighborhood. Simple things like getting gas can be treacherous.

So yeah, if you can't afford more you do what you got to do. But there are alternative for anyone above LVD.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,618,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
They always ask about the good area's. Why not live in a bad area? Cheaper to live there. You probably will never get your home broken into, especially if it looks like hell on the outside. You just might get mugged to and from your home, but think of the savings!
You have a point PinkString. I dont know if you remember or not but when I first got to Vegas, I lived off of Sierra Vista and Swenson Street. Not a real classy neighborhood. I never had any problems with crime and I was never the victim of a crime. Still, I felt out of place there coming from the part of Orlando I came from, the NW was a much better fit for me. Aliante or somewhere else in far North LV would have worked too

I suppose its a good place to start when you move to a new city, but if you can afford better than why would you?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM

I googlemapped the area after posting about my little misadventure. I see what you're talking about. I looks like a lot of the area got demoed. Some of those lots could be put to work in intersting ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
A lot of the houses, duplexes, apartemnts and empty lots are for sale over in that area. There are even a couple of options to buy several plots of real estate all at once at an auction coming up. According to the map I looked at last year, almost everything is for sale in Naked City. Someone with the right amount of funds could own a great deal of real estate and start the gentrification process.

Back in April I found a 7-plex for sale for right around 100K, 100% occupied, Owner financing, only 10% down...but...owner was only able to collect 50% of the rent owed every month, half the units didn't have AC, always went with his large sons whenever visiting the property, shared utilities, over 100K in delayed maintenance costs

Naked City.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,046,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
i have always maintained that there is not a truly bad area in Las Vegas [ive driven thru Camden NJ] and ive lived in nearly every part of town ....there are pockets all over.... and there are scum all over .....it is what it is..... i personally wouldnt live in the Scummerline area on a bet.....put thats a personal preferance....op on the side of the hill where Scoop lives is Great [used to live on Turtle Hill ] but you drive thru some lesser arease to get there [WOW ma LOOKIE there thems WORKING people]
I dunno, Foremaster Lane is quite bad. Not COMPTON bad. Not LIBERTY CITY bad. But still pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas