Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
Nonsense! Show me the stat that says people live longer in other places. Poeple live as long here as they do anywhere else. I've got 12 clients right now and each of them is almost 100 (sorry, just doing a forum impression). I remember reading a while ago that we, Las Vegas, was the fattest city in the country. Chalk up another number one for us.
Nonsense...as of 2007 Nevada was 17th. Most of the good places though are not places one wants to live...like Nebraska. However Hawaii is the best and California is around tenth best.

So longevity is not a good reason to live in Nevada or Vegas.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I've read this post twice and each time I laughed out loud. While I realize that not everyone will agree with me on this. Everything, and I mean everything that was said couldn't be further from the truth. Every city has bad parts including Hartford where there are fair amounts of homeless just like Vegas. To state that every part is horrible and each person is trashy is ridiculous and simply not true. You think Vegas is bad, go to Atlantic City and go off the boardwalk. Vegas is like Beverly Hills compared to Atlantic City.

To the OP, your challenge is accepted. I will be in town on the 24th, if you want to show me in person all these bad parts, send me a PM. I've been coming here 3 times a year for the last 4 years, I've met some great people here which include taxi drivers, limo drivers, business owners, and other professionals. I joined Silverstone Golf Club and I've played with complete strangers who treated me with courtesy and respect. I've taken my kids to Centennial Hills park where again complete strangers come up to me and talk to me while our kids our playing. Here in DC, my wife took my kids to the park and tried to start conversations with the other parents, none of them would acknowledge her or even say "hi". This area is the by far the most self-absorbed, rudest area. Vegas doesn't even come close.

Again, I've yet to see a homeless person in Vegas. Yet, if I go to a Orioles game in Baltimore, I come across at least 10 homeless people from the parking lot to Camden Yards. When I drive to Nationals games in DC, I drive under several bridges that are "tent cities" for the homeless, usually 10 or more are in each city. The statement that the cost of living in the Northeast is cheaper than Vegas is also way incorrect, studio apartments in DC start at $1,000/month and are more if you live close to a Metro station. Try finding an apartment in NYC for less than $850. Go to Boston and see how much the cost of living is there, Vegas is pennies on the dollar. Going back, I will correct myself a little and say that salaries are not as high in Las Vegas as the Northeast or DC; however, Vegas #1 industry is hospitality. It is not a financial hub like NYC or Philly, it's not a government hub like DC and that's the difference.

Going to crime, Vegas crime is a joke. How often has Metro put EVERY officer on the streets because of the crime. The answer is never because crime is low compared to DC which has put every officer on the street 3 times this year because of all the shootings that happen each and every night. Once again, DC along with PG county and Baltimore in Maryland will have over 300 murders EACH, tell me how many murders have occurred in Vegas? Vegas gets the occasional shooting like the one in front of New York-New York. DC has that every night, that's the difference.

Racism, you're joking right? To what extent has there been racism? Again, I've yet to see one instance of racism in Vegas. No city in America is perfect including Vegas, but to state that it's the worst city simply is incorrect and I'll be more than happy to prove that to anyone that wants to take me up on that challenge. My house will be ready in October, but I'm coming out early to get a job, play some golf at Silverstone, and get to know more people in the area. The people here are more real and personable than what I've got here in DC.

To the OP, I wish you good luck in your endeavor to get back to New England.
Well said and thank you Mr Golfinova

Old 08-11-2007, 01:35 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,944 times
You're quite welcome!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,832,411 times
Mr Golfinnova,

If you even need a fourth let me know!!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:05 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,944 times
You got it. It sounds like there's a few of us including gulfer, so maybe we can all get together for a round. They've really starting making Silverstone a first-class facility so I'm glad to be a member.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:48 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
The response on these sites is always---"If you don't like LV move". This response only adds to one's perception that LV is inhabited by "mean-spirited individuals. I am happy that LV is a good fit for you. For many others, LV is absolutely not like any other city, and they are asking, why. by the way, I hear Dubai is heaven on earth--any experiences there?
No, Las Vegas is not populated by mean spirited individuals. The mean spirited ones are the ones bashing the town over and over so we invite them to leave. If I moved somewhere and hated it so badly like some do Vegas, I wouldn't stay and endlessly complain, which makes the poster look really bad, I'd do something about it, which is move.
I don't see why people have such a problem with that. In the first place, people really have to quit acting on the spur of the moment, giving up their idyllic life and moving to a place they know nothing about, but fantasize that it's the perfect solution to their problems. No place will do that, it's in the head. See a counselor instead.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
I played no limit poker once in the 9 months ive been here, other then that I have been working to pay the bills(as well as some extra bills from the snakes that have taken advantage of me in my time here), I am sorry I can not fork over $900 a month just for rent to live in a nice area, maybe in your world good paying easy jobs fall off trees
LOL, in my world, I had secure employment before moving here. And I pay $860 a month house payments, taxes, insurance,etc included. Of course I bought back in 2003 when prices were lower.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Nobody that I've seen posting on here how much they hate Las Vegas has ever stated living downtown or nearby. I take umbrage with that, as I live downtown and find it to be the best place in the Valley to live.

The majority of the whiners are shocked when their Summerlin apartment is the target of a burglar (they thought that all the lowlifes were downtown!) or some other ridiculous misconception spread by the people who say "Live in GV or Summerlin, everywhere else is terrible" and they expect Utopia out there, when in fact it's not that much different.
Chest, I am referring to those cheap motels by the fremont street experience, or the so-called infamous west side which is near mlk/lake mead. Many people end up in those area's because they cannot afford other area's, then they have a bad experience in this town.
I like alot of the downtown area, quaint homes, especially Lonnie Hammergrens area off of Sandhill/flamingo.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
I remember reading a while ago that we, Las Vegas, was the fattest city in the country. Chalk up another number one for us.
It's all those "all you can eat" cheap buffets.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
How about, "Don't move to Vegas unless you can help prop up the value of my 4 BR home in Summerlin"? Does that make me mean-spirited, too?
Beautiful post, although you don't realize it. You have summed the reason LV is truly a second rate town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas