Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by obadiah64 View Post
I moved here from Connecticut. This place is a horrible place to live. It does not matter what section you are in. The people here are very trashy and uneducated. The cost of living is far higher than what is was in the Norteast and the jobs pay almost slave wages. I strongly encourage anyone to look on the Nevada Department of Labor web pages to see what the prevailing salaries are in the horrible, wicked place.

So when you here people says there a lot of jobs in Las vegas, they are right, a lot of low wage jobs. The average rent is $850 per month and higher.

To wit, this state ranks number 48 in terms of public school education. if you do not want your kids to be educated, then this is the place to come. Moreover, there are more criminals or criminally minded people in this cesspool.

Lets not forget the extreme racism that is pervasive throught out the town. most people, like myself, come here and are under the impression that the place would be a great place to live. But we never stop to realize THAT WE NEVER LEAVE THE STRIP WHEN WE COME HERE ON VACATION.

I challenge anyone who is thinking of moving here to venture away from the strip and see all of the homeless (this state also ranks the highest in this area also).

September 1, 2007 will be two years that I have lived in this pit. I am trying desparately to get back to New England.
I have never witnessed such bad grammar coming from such a highly educated person.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches756 View Post
I agree with the first post don't move here. I moved here to help family, I left a good paying job in California thinking I would find something comparable here. Forget it, no matter how qualified you are, there are no jobs, it's a luck of the draw to find anything.

I have NEVER encountered so many nasty, mean, down right hateful people in my entire life. I can't wait to leave.

I am currently working but, it's way below what I did before and they treat you like crap. They violate the labor laws up one side and down the other.

Can't wait to leave this state - never move here unless your so drunk you don't know where your moving to.

Perhaps, while some of us are here we can get together and console one another on our mistakes and pray for a better future.
It's probably a good thing you are unhappy with your employment in LV, as you clearly realize there are other things which make a person happy.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,671 times
I've been to the Northeast and YOU CAN HAVE IT. Have the taxes, have the snobs, have the upper (rich) folks who inherited everything they have. Take your crappy winters, muggy summers, and dream of moving to someplace warm.
It's a tourist town. Everyone (I think it was 36 million last year or some number like that) comes here to go crazy, leave behind thousands, and go tell stories and save to come back.
If your dream is to come out and be a blackjack dealer, earn a living for your family (which I would think a pretty good living), don't have 7-9% percent taken out for State Taxes, and run into rude tourists that blame you for taking their money, then expect what you get.
If you come out to get a job, enjoy what a desert climate brings (365 days of golf - 15 or so for rain), hike, boat, enjoy the top notch shows, buffets, and have people visit, I would think you would enjoy yourself more. Meet your neighbors (maybe difficult if from the NE), get involved in the local community, clubs, organizations, etc... I would think you would find just what you are looking for.
As for California man, BS, you sold your house, made 300-500K, came to Vegas and bought another house, found out wages weren't the same as Cali and the climate is different than Cali. WOW - What an eye opener.
RWF - I lived in Florida and there are just as many, I would say MORE, homeless then I have seen all over the Las Vegas area. Stay away from downtown and you don't really have an issue.
It's what you make of it, I have moved 11 times in 21 years (military) and it is always what you make of it. Over 80% of the friends I had weren't even in the military.
Other than that - very happy to see someone that is that unhappy looking forward to moving. Leave if you don't like it. You live in America, GO!

Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 PM

yes, gulfer, everyone realizes that NYC, Boston, etc are truly second-rate cities. And of course we all realize one can come out here and land a job as a BJ dealer making six figures. And what a wonderful golfing area. Especially in June, July, August, December, January and Febuary. then there of course is the cutting edge entertainment. 8 Cirque du Soleil productions, and has-beens by the dozen. Sense of community and civic pride are true strongpoints of LV.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
obadiah64 makes a lot of good points. Many people that move there have never been off the strip before moving there. The city is filled with homeless. There are tons of low wage jobs and uneducated people and the state ranks very low for education. So you all can say that this person is just bitter, but much of what he/she has said is dead on accurate.
The same could be said of most states in the US.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
It is hard to disagree with the OP, I moved here in November, I moved here for 1 reason and it was because I thought I had a chance to make a living playing poker

Now I don't deserve and sympathy and have no one to blame but myself for moving here, but all thing aside, this is a crappy town, there are some decent areas further away from the strip like in Henderson or Summerlin, but overall it is a crappy town, for the money you are probably better off moving to Phoenix if you like the hot dry weather
You've been here since November and you're an expert. And you came here thinking you could make a living gambling. Brilliant. It didn't work out so you're down on Las Vegas. You people slay me. I've been to nearly every state. I've lived in other cities. I've never found a place that could hold a candle to Las Vegas. The only thing really that is wrong with Las Vegas is it's too hot for three months of the year, and all these hoards of people who just don't get it are moving in on us all the time. The heat I can deal with.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 AM

51 posts, read 201,468 times
To those of you unhappy with Vegas..... Move! Youre not locked in.

I find the people here to be just fine. When I greet someone with a smile and a hello, I almost always get the same in return. When I hold the door for someone they say thanks. Now if youre an a-hole to people, you can expect them to give it back. Me I dont have that problem, cause i am nice first.

And whats wrong with homeless people? So there's some here. they are everywhere. big deal. It's not like they are piled up on your front lawn.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches756 View Post
I agree with the first post don't move here. I moved here to help family, I left a good paying job in California thinking I would find something comparable here. Forget it, no matter how qualified you are, there are no jobs, it's a luck of the draw to find anything.

I have NEVER encountered so many nasty, mean, down right hateful people in my entire life. I can't wait to leave.

I am currently working but, it's way below what I did before and they treat you like crap. They violate the labor laws up one side and down the other.

Can't wait to leave this state - never move here unless your so drunk you don't know where your moving to.

Perhaps, while some of us are here we can get together and console one another on our mistakes and pray for a better future.
Excuse me but those nasty, mean, and downright hateful people you are referring to moved here from California where you came from. And what labor laws do we violate? I've been hearing that one for years and when pressed those making the accusations dream up some nonsense that they think are labor laws but in fact do not exist. Seriously, I'll tell you what a guy in Albuquerque told me when I was ranting like you are...Maybe it's not bad...maybe it's just different from what you're used to.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof_ View Post
To those of you unhappy with Vegas..... Move! Youre not locked in.

I find the people here to be just fine. When I greet someone with a smile and a hello, I almost always get the same in return. When I hold the door for someone they say thanks. Now if youre an a-hole to people, you can expect them to give it back. Me I dont have that problem, cause i am nice first.

And whats wrong with homeless people? So there's some here. they are everywhere. big deal. It's not like they are piled up on your front lawn.
if you are "here", you should change your location from Spokane. You have no doubt met quite a few people in your four months "here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas