Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times

Advertisements

Just remember to use sunglasses and sun block skin cream. You will get more sunshine in your first week in LC than the rest of your life in Great Britain. Don’t forget to drink a huge amount of water until your body gets used to the low humidity. Other wise enjoy a spectacular section of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
And plenty of lotion for you skin!

I remeber getting badly sunburned fishing in October here!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 12,719 times
Well it seems that we will be arriving in Las Cruces around the 23rd of May (driving from California). Are there any suggestions of "must see" while we tour around LC for a few days?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:20 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,450,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompy View Post
Well it seems that we will be arriving in Las Cruces around the 23rd of May (driving from California). Are there any suggestions of "must see" while we tour around LC for a few days?
I'd suggest the following:

1. Aguirre Springs in the nearby Organ Mountains (pronounced ah-GEAR-eh)

2. White Sands National Monument

3. Gila Wilderness (HEE-la)

4. Cloudcroft

Numbers 1, 3, and 4 will help ease your transition from the humid green setting of Britain into the arid brown setting of Las Cruces. The desert is somewhat of an acquired taste. Knowing that there are comparitively lush, forested areas nearby can soften the contrast. The American southwest is very much a 3-dimensional environment, with climate being closely related to elevation. Areas below about 6000 ft are arid. At about 6000 ft, there's a transition to juniper trees and slightly less aridity. Another thousand feet or so and pines take over. Las Cruces sits at about 4000 ft and will be hot in the summer, but with the dry air, taking refuge under any available shade makes the heat tolerable. But be aware that the combination of high elevation and desert sun makes the solar radiation intense. Sunglasses, a hat, bottled water (or cold beer), and sunscreen are not nice to have for any outdoor summer activities - they're must-haves. Summer evenings are a delight, though. As soon as the sun dips below the horizon, the air cools nicely.

You'll no doubt agree that the "anti-summer" season is heavenly, with sunshine and 60 degrees F in January. Locals call it winter. Some even say it's "cold." If you find yourself wanting snow, just make a return to the forrested areas mentioned above and you'll normally find enough to satisfy the urge. There's a decent ski area in nearby Ruidoso, NM that may be of interest if you're so inclined.

One of the joys of the southwest is the infinite variety of uses for chile in the local cooking. Again, it's an acquired taste, but be forewarned that it's highly addictive. Make the short trip to El Paso to sample the world's best Mexican cuisine. There are hundreds of good places to find it, by my favorite is Carnitas Queretaro on N Mesa.

Finally, have a safe trip and welcome!

Last edited by skoro; 04-13-2008 at 06:32 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:07 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,282,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I love that view! When I used to live in LA, everytime I drove back and saw that I knew I was home. Nice pic!

Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Visit Old Mesilla, try the food at Double Eagle (or Peppers which is in the same building) or La Posta. A drive south down Rt 28 is also very nice - the acres of Pecan trees are pretty amazing.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,717 times
By all means, wander Old Mesilla...a great place...and have a nice big Margarita in the bar at Double Eagle. But save yourself some grief and skip the meal at La P. Lot of atmosphere but substandard (I'm sorry to say) chow.
Instead, do the TigerLily drive down 28...it'll be beautiful when you get here...and stop in La Mesa (don't blink or you'll miss it and have your dinner at Chope's. It's simple, unadorned, honest New Mexican food at it's best. Nice crowd scene at opening too!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
By all means, wander Old Mesilla...a great place...and have a nice big Margarita in the bar at Double Eagle. But save yourself some grief and skip the meal at La P. Lot of atmosphere but substandard (I'm sorry to say) chow.
Instead, do the TigerLily drive down 28...it'll be beautiful when you get here...and stop in La Mesa (don't blink or you'll miss it and have your dinner at Chope's. It's simple, unadorned, honest New Mexican food at it's best. Nice crowd scene at opening too!
I agree with the above...

Old 04-15-2008, 06:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,628 times
Most of the crime that occurs in Las Cruces is between thugs who know each other. For the most part there is not random acts of crime although there are some random acts of theft and such.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 PM

507 posts, read 2,063,087 times
Pompy? As in Portsmouth? There's no place in LC to watch Premier League or Champions League, so you better get used to lousy Liga Mexicana football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces