Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,259 times

Advertisements

Come back and tell us how you do. New Mexico is a culture shock for many Americans. I can't imagine what it would be like for a Brit.

So good luck and let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 05:34 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Pompy im from Ireland and love life in New Mexico. Believe me, its very easy to get used to waking up in the morning and be 99% sure there willb e no rain! Meth is a problem no matter what size it is IMO. Many many people have guns in the US but its not the way the UK media portray it.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
How about for retirees from New York? How big of a culture shock is that?
I would love to hear from you if you have. Has anyone done it? Do you enjoy the weather ? How are the real estate prices there? Is it a town with activities, hiking trails, malls????

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-06-2008, 12:45 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
I relocated from NJ (grew up in NYC). I've met a lot of people here who relocated from NYC and who say it was the best decision for them as it certainly has been for me, but, the desert is not for everybody, so like so many other posters have said, if you can, you've got to come visit and see for yourself

There are all kinds of places to hike just outside the city - check out this link:
Las Cruces, New Mexico hiking

There is one indoor mall, which although on the older side, has, I think, a nice selection of stores. It is anchored by Dillards, JC Penney and Sears. Las Cruces also has two WalMarts, a Target, a Kohls, a Pier1, four Starbucks (I think), Home Depot, Lowes and a good selection of local retailers. Pretty much everything else (eg. Macy's) is available in El Paso, which is a 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic, which exit, etc. El Paso also a huge outlet mall and the closest commercial airport. The only thing we don't have within about an hour's drive is a Whole Foods or Central Market type store. The closest one of those is in ABQ.

I think real estate prices are still good compared to the NY area. As for culture shock, I didn't experience any. I feel more at home here than I have anywhere else I've lived. I don't miss anything about living in the NE, except for family and friends.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,369 times
pompy: Don't sweat it....LC is a pretty small town and you'll know what's what in a short time. Crime is pretty low, and misbehavior runs to fireworks, drunk driving, teenage stupidity and graffitti for the most part. Your personal safety should not be a concern to you here. Understand that you're in a relatively low income County, though, so the problems of poverty are here in abundance. You won't find the hordes of drug addled nitwits that curse an otherwise nice place like Eureka, though there certainly are drugs here.
That being said, there is a lot to love about LC and environs. Your dining choices will be both a pleasant surprise and a disappointment......you'll learn a lot about chile and the Mexican style food (kind of rancho style, really) here and that is a pleasure. You'll also discover that your options beyond Old Mex/New Mex are somewhat more limited.
This is a good place and a good time to buy a house...while the market here is still pretty strong, housing has come off it's highs....and you'll find that while prices have appreciated, they're still pretty reasonable here. Nowhere near Calif. prices.

Study points out city's strengths, weaknesses - Las Cruces Sun-News
Downtown revitalization a key to economic boost - Las Cruces Sun-News
All that jazz: Musical genre is a hit at area venues, schools, festivals - Las Cruces Sun-News
In today's (Sunday) paper there are a couple articles about the economic picture of LC and the downtown redevelopment, both of which are posted above.
The last link is about something totally different...the proliferation of jazz in town, in various venues and styles. Just a fun thing.
Diversity has arrived in LC, and is making it a more interesting place to be. Embrace the traditional New Mexican culture as well....there's a lot to love.
Best of luck to you and yours, and come visit us in Old Mesilla!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 12,707 times
Thanks for all the positive encouragement. I am sure we will be fine, its just a big and move for us ... and I habitually over-analyze everything . We should arrive sometime in July -- will it be +100F ?
My son is excited about the "spaceport" and the warm weather! I also hear that football (soccer) is fairly popular in the southwest; if so, that will make my son's adjustment easier.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,276,315 times
Yup, I'm afraid it could be. It'll be high nineties for sure and, the irony doesn't escape me, that's when our rainy season (what we have of one) starts. It's sure to be different from the rain in England though. You'll love the smell of wet creosotes also know as grease wood and it only rains in the afternoons for the most part. The autumn will make it well worth it. It's the best time of the year absolutely perfect weather for about three months.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Football is growing slowly over in these parts. We even have a summer league here, tis better than nothing! Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompy View Post
We are a small family from the UK moving to Las Cruces for work and school. My spouse and I are in our late 30’s and my son is 8. Unfortunately, we are not able to visit before the move – airline prices are blinking insane! Thus; I have toiled over the city-data forums for LC information – some seems helpful. I have heard about gangs and crime statistics: are all the negative comments true? I lived in Northern California in the past and the amount of stumblers (drug addicted street denizens) was stunning. Is that going to be a serious problem in LC? Is it safe to walk the streets of commercial areas? What areas should we avoid? We will probably live on the campus of New Mexico State University when we arrive.

We are very excited to have the possibility to buy a house; not a possibility anywhere else we have ever lived ($500K for a fixup). We also like the idea of a diverse community.
Thanks for the info!
There are gangs and crimes but the nice thing about gangs around here is they usually keep their violence between themselves, usually they leave everyone else alone.

It's not like some of the big cities with bad crime, property crime is fairly high all along the border, crimes like car thefts, graffiti, but violent crimes against strangers are not common. I think you can walk around pretty much anywhere.

As for the heat, it's a dry heat -- nothing like what 100 degrees is like in other places, 100 degrees is quite comfortable I think and in the SW, the mornings are downright cool, and the evenings are very comfortable and mellow. Because it's high desert, if it reaches 100, it usually won't be until 2 pm and then by 4 pm it's starting to cool down fast.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompy View Post
I also hear that football (soccer) is fairly popular in the southwest; if so, that will make my son's adjustment easier.
Yeap it's really getting big in the High Schools as it's played in the fall and i believe the Soccer teams are as large as the Football teams as far as number of players on a team during the Fall season. They always have large crowds during the State Championship Tournament every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces