Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 02:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
I lived in Halls/Gibbs. I don't think Publix would work there. Even the name is too "Public" for that individualistic area. Publix works here in FL because of the on-the-go demographic. There are lots of transplants who need Publix's top-notch deli because they don't want to cook for just one person. Halls is loaded with families. Publix might have worked in Farragut had Kroger not built a superstore there. Foodcity is perfect for Halls.
I used to work for Publix. They cater to much more than single people and will slightly adjust stores to suit the neighborhood needs. If your theory were true then there would be a LOT less Publix's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 06:36 PM

190 posts, read 493,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I used to work for Publix. They cater to much more than single people and will slightly adjust stores to suit the neighborhood needs. If your theory were true then there would be a LOT less Publix's.
Hey, maybe Publix will work there. Halls may be ready for a change since Kroger moved out. Let's see.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,052 times
aroma cafe's cubans in maryville (east broadway ave) are really good! they have been serving up cuban sandwiches for the past couple years & with salami! better than publix.
it's a small family run cafe with homemade rice & beans, flan, guava empanadas, plantains etc.........real cubans! oh, & their prices are great too.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott LF View Post
No, Publix is not coming to town. Much as I enjoyed shopping at Publix, I have been fine living up here for two years without them.

I enjoy Knoxville for being just like it is. The last thing I want to see is some sort of Florida fingerprint around here. That's because I hate it down there. I said good bye and good riddance.
Hmmm I actually lived in Fla most of my life..and just moved here to Tn..and I am having Publix withdrawals...I hope they get here very soon...and costco too.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 PM

25 posts, read 80,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
The Cuban food is about all I'll miss of Florida.
Amen! Cuban food and Publix are what I miss about Florida. I'm an ex-Floridian living happily in between Halls and Powell for 4 years now. We love it in TN so much. I was partial to La Teresita in Tampa when we lived there.

I'd definitely head toward Halls to go to Publix. I'd lived in Florida all my life and didn't places existed that didn't have them...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM

621 posts, read 1,616,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstoogood View Post
Amen! Cuban food and Publix are what I miss about Florida. I'm an ex-Floridian living happily in between Halls and Powell for 4 years now. We love it in TN so much. I was partial to La Teresita in Tampa when we lived there.

I'd definitely head toward Halls to go to Publix. I'd lived in Florida all my life and didn't places existed that didn't have them...
I used to eat at La Teresita's as well..i lived in Tampa for my first 35 years... i would always go with a buddy from work who spoke Spanish.. made ordering easier. I miss Publix too..

Old 05-10-2010, 03:56 PM

25 posts, read 80,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
i lived in Tampa for my first 35 years.
I lived in FL for 38 years, total. Most of them in Port Charlotte, but 9 of them in the Tampa area while my hubby and I went to school at USF. Since we were poor college students, we loved all the great places to eat, like La Teresita, where you got enough food for dinner and lunch the next day for very little $. We liked a little hole in the wall place called The Gardens on Busch - i think. They were Italian/Greek place kinda like Louis here. Spaghetti and Greek salad on Wed. nights for $3.99. Always a line out the door! We learned to place a phone order to go and save $ on drinks and LOTS of time in line too. lol Good times!

Off track to the Publix theme, sorry bout that! Didn't mean to threadnap..

Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM

621 posts, read 1,616,368 times
Yup, most of the spanish places gave enough food to feed an army. Ever eat at Mels Hot dogs, near Busch Gardens? Great dogs...

But yeah, i do miss Publix and their deli sandwiches...

Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM

186 posts, read 486,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
I used to eat at La Teresita's as well..i lived in Tampa for my first 35 years... i would always go with a buddy from work who spoke Spanish.. made ordering easier. I miss Publix too..
Been to La Teresita's many times, the one on 66th St. in Pinellas Park.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,683,409 times
Here's what I've heard--A retired Publix employee who now works in the meat dept. at a local Food City is telling customers that Publix will be moving into the now closed 'bi-low' facility in Halls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville