Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM

11,114 posts, read 9,753,246 times

Advertisements

Thanks J, glad to hear you have a Whole Foods. Can't afford to do ALL my shopping there though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Actually, Jab is in Johnson City or the Tri-Cities area. I'm surprised they have a Whole Foods up there. Either way, we are getting one here, too. I forget when, though.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
We don't. I was generalizing to the East TN region. Here in the Upstate we only have Earth Fare, local Natural Food Market, and Fresh Market is coming in the next few months.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
We don't. I was generalizing to the East TN region. Here in the Upstate we only have Earth Fare, local Natural Food Market, and Fresh Market is coming in the next few months.
Oh! Okay!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
So what is so wonderful about Publix???

Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
So what is so wonderful about Publix???
I wonder this myself...Since I moved to Nashville, I've heard Publix is "better" than Kroger. I have both on my corner and I always go to Kroger. I do go to Publix a little bit, but I like the Kroger/Shell gas incentive program. The employees are nicer than Kroger employees, but the Kroger has amazing samples throughout the store. Publix has a lady making stuff, but haven't tried any of it. I have also not been impressed with their lack of specialty items-I went to Publix to look for udon noodles, and hoisin sauce (2 separate occassions) and they didn't have either, but Kroger did.
I did find a pizza dough in the bag in the fresh section that I could take home and bake myself, I liked that.
I understand the excitement for Whole Foods or Trader Joe's but not really Publix...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,890 times
I'm all for greater selection (it's the American way ), but I wouldn't be heartbroken if we didn't get a Publix. I usually go to the Kroger Marketplace in Farragut, and in my experience it always has everything I need (usually much more), and the people are genuinely friendly and helpful.

Nevertheless, if Publix lives up to its reputation, I won't complain about having another good grocery store.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM

It's clean, the subs they make are very good, the employees are friendly, if you want something they will order it and keep it in stock, they are competitively priced, their meat and seafood is of very good quality as is their produce.

In Knoxville, Food City, Kroger's and Ingle's can be hit or miss. The Fountain City Kroger started out as a great store. However, more often than not the seafood department smells, the produce is underwhelming and overpriced and they don't keep certain things in stock like veal. If I want consistently good quality I got to Fresh Market and Earth Fare.

I have to get out to Farragut's Kroger. I hear they have EVERYTHING.

Food shopping is a big part of my life; of my family's life, really. We descend on Fresh Market like it's Disney World.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
A bunch of us have been asking that question for years! But seriously, Publix doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry to expand. They're still not in NC, for example, not even Charlotte. For decades they were only in Florida. It's really been only in the last 20 years or so that they've expanded outside of Florida. What took them so long to finally come to Knoxville is anyone's guess.
Publix is rumored to enter the Charlotte, North Carolina market in 2012. Four sites in York and Chesterfield counties in South Carolina are planned. Those stores' success could determine the need to open several in North Carolina. Being far from its distribution centers in the Atlanta, Georgia area, a new facility could be considered.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Publix is "ok" in my book. I have shopped there before and don't go out of my way for it. Choices are good so hurray for that aspect of their coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville