Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
It's definitely not Kroger, they're building a new one there at Cedar Bluff and Kingston Pike.

What about Ingles? Not sure how prevalent they are in Knox (I'm new to the area), but they don't seem to be a power player at all with the minimum ones I've seen in the area.

Bud
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
My guess is that it is not Ingles because FC seems to have a greater number of stores that might make for quicker and greater market penetration, which Publix would seem to want. And it is possible that neither would sell to Publix as well. Time will tell.
Ingle's has 20 stores in eastern Tennessee stretching from the Knoxville area up to Kingsport and Johnson City. The chain has been improving existing locations in recent years. It is unclear if it will aggressively add stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAlton View Post
Thanks BadBird, I look forward to your update.

MBC, I have not heard of any plans for the Memphis area. As far as I can tell focus is going to be on establishing a presence in the Knoxville area and developing a market between Chattanooga, Knoxville and Nashville. Publix has always been cautious in expansion and will not overextend themselves. If anything were to happen in W Tennessee my guess would be it would be at least a few years down the road.
Publix appears to be doing well having presences in the Nashville and Chattanooga markets. Entering Knoxville and eastern Tennessee will continue its increasing presence. Is there a chance a new distribution center is in the cards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 AM

108 posts, read 198,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ingle's has 20 stores in eastern Tennessee stretching from the Knoxville area up to Kingsport and Johnson City. The chain has been improving existing locations in recent years. It is unclear if it will aggressively add stores.

Publix appears to be doing well having presences in the Nashville and Chattanooga markets. Entering Knoxville and eastern Tennessee will continue its increasing presence. Is there a chance a new distribution center is in the cards?
The official word out of corporate is only that a store is planned to open in the third quarter of 2012 for the Northshore area of Knoxville with others to follow.

However, word around the proverbial water cooler is a 20+ store expansion into Knoxville.

The following is pure speculation on my part, but seeing how the nearest distribution center to the area is in Atlanta, one would have to be in the cards. I am of the opinion that the Knoxville vicinity is key to this. It would be a hub to growth in TN and expansion into NC making it a prime location for a distribution center.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
And Knoxville already has a lot of distribution centers so it makes sense.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The official word out of corporate is only that a store is planned to open in the third quarter of 2012 for the Northshore area of Knoxville with others to follow.

However, word around the proverbial water cooler is a 20+ store expansion into Knoxville.

The following is pure speculation on my part, but seeing how the nearest distribution center to the area is in Atlanta, one would have to be in the cards. I am of the opinion that the Knoxville vicinity is key to this. It would be a hub to growth in TN and expansion into NC making it a prime location for a distribution center.
Could distribution centers also be in the cards to service another new market, Charlotte, North Carolina, or distant markets like Birmingham, Huntsville, and Montgomery, Alamaba?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:36 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Could distribution centers also be in the cards to service another new market, Charlotte, North Carolina, or distant markets like Birmingham, Huntsville, and Montgomery, Alamaba?
Publix is already in Alabama.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Publix is already in Alabama.
The Alabama markets were referred to as distant markets in my previous post because they are the westernmost stores of Publix's footprints.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 AM

21 posts, read 31,261 times
Just be careful their “Moose tracks” ice-cream can be addictive.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:22 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
The Alabama markets were referred to as distant markets in my previous post because they are the westernmost stores of Publix's footprints.
Sorry about that, I misread your post.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 PM

26 posts, read 71,913 times
Quote:
If you can keep me posted on progress I would really appreciate it.
You bet. I'll be watching closely.

I watched two Publix being built in my old area (Atlanta Metro), both not far from my house at the time. The tend to be a very SLOW build for some reason. Based on what I've seem, my guess (no expert here) would be April or May of 2012 before it's open. Maybe June.

I'll keep everyone posted here.

Bud

Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
You bet. I'll be watching closely.

I watched two Publix being built in my old area (Atlanta Metro), both not far from my house at the time. The tend to be a very SLOW build for some reason. Based on what I've seem, my guess (no expert here) would be April or May of 2012 before it's open. Maybe June.

I'll keep everyone posted here.

Bud
I have also seen several Publix stores built. They take a long time to rise and open, and they are worth the wait. Publix puts a lot of effort into their new stores from being warm and friendly on the outside, to being excellent inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville