Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times

Advertisements

i would love a publix i hate driving all the way to fountain city to go to the grocery store. Its always crowded also no matter what time you go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Default Publix is coming!

I've just made JMT's day, along with several other people. I like the store and love healthy competition.

I'm getting a bit burnt out by my local stores. I like Fresh Market and Earth Fare but the prices are high, although you do get what you pay for. Fountain City Kroger has slipped in meat and seafood quality, lately and the Clinton Highway/Merchant's Drive Food City is hit or miss and usually a freak show. I love Ingle's but not the one near Cedar Lane.

It says they are going to be at the new Northshore Town Center.

Oh, and I don't know if you've heard, JMT, but there is a Target going in over there, too.

Publix confirmed for Northshore Town Center » Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've just made JMT's day, along with several other people. I like the store and love healthy competition.

I'm getting a bit burnt out by my local stores. I like Fresh Market and Earth Fare but the prices are high, although you do get what you pay for. Fountain City Kroger has slipped in meat and seafood quality, lately and the Clinton Highway/Merchant's Drive Food City is hit or miss and usually a freak show. I love Ingle's but not the one near Cedar Lane.

It says they are going to be at the new Northshore Town Center.

Oh, and I don't know if you've heard, JMT, but there is a Target going in over there, too.

Publix confirmed for Northshore Town Center » Knoxville News Sentinel
It'll definitely be nice to not have to drive all the way to Ooltewah for one of Publix's key limes pies!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,811 times
YAY, that is good news.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
How is Publix price-wise? I've been in their stores, but only on vacation and as such, wasn't really worried about pricing. I've found that Food City and Ingles are more expensive than Wal-Mart and Kroger. Hopefully Publix is more comparable to Kroger and not Food City.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 PM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
Ahh.. probably the only thing i have missed about Florida since moving here 3 years ago. I grew up about 30 minutes from their headquarters in Lakeland... my old engineering firm did a lot of work for them in the late 90's...i miss their deli sandwiches, birthday cake and sweet tea.. so happy!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Cool, wonder how this will affect Food City, Ingle and Food Lion, maybe Earthfare and The Fresh Market in the area? I think Kroger will continue do so well with them in town.

The Ooltewah (NW Chattanooga) store seems to be always busy. Probably due to lack of Kroger stores in the area? Loved their submarnies (hoagies)!

Publix really need to put up a warehouse in Tennessee rather than having grocery items trucked in from suburban Atlanta.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Cool, wonder how this will affect Food City, Ingle and Food Lion, maybe Earthfare and The Fresh Market in the area? I think Kroger will continue do so well with them in town.

The Ooltewah (NW Chattanooga) store seems to be always busy. Probably due to lack of Kroger stores in the area? Loved their submarnies (hoagies)!

Publix really need to put up a warehouse in Tennessee rather than having grocery items trucked in from suburban Atlanta.
I agree, I don't think Kroger will suffer much although they'll certainly have to upgrade their stores the way they did in Atlanta when Publix came sweeping into town (and boy did they). I wouldn't be surprised to see Ingles as a casualty, as well as some Food City locations.

Publix does have awesome subs, don't they? Their entire bakery/deli area is superb to anything around here. They even have pretty authentic Cuban bread which, to those of us who grew up in Florida (Tampa here), will be like mannah.

There are three Publix stores in Chattanooga and over 20 in the Nashville area. I think it's safe to say that Publix will eventually have a half-dozen, at least, in the Knoxville area.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Default Publix hints at more stores

Publix hints at more stores | Property Scope | knoxnews.com

Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I worked at Publix when my little one was a baby. The prices are very low. They constantly price shop at the other stores to beat their prices. They will also get you ANYTHING you want. Ask the manager and they will get it for you.

You can also eat off their floors in the back rooms. Very clean stores.

Walmart opens their stores with the lowest prices and then slowly raises them. Oddly enough, they thought their customers weren't noticing.

Well, some did.

Walmart has drastically cut their prices, although that was only a few months ago. I've kept an eye on them. We'll see if the snakes raise them up when they think no one's looking. Doubtful, though. Walmart is running scared. The dollar stores have took a big market share, others have left because of pricing cons or due to various principles. They are still one of the big boys but being the bullies that they are they hate healthy competition.

It's going to be nice to get a sub that I don't have to make, for a change. As much as I love my Knoxvile, I've yet to find a decent sub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville