Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,140,443 times

Advertisements

Hik, I think you should just go into the Witness Protection Program and give the in-laws the slip. Just tell them how spooky smart Joe-joe Jingles is and they will be afraid to come around.

I think my d-i-l just believes that if it is your parents, you take care of them. She is the same way about gifts and greeting cards. I am from the old school, I suppose, where the woman of the family tends to be the hostess and tender of all things sentimental and nurturing.

We get along just fine, otherwise, but my son was expected to do all of the cleaning, food shopping, cooking, etc. while we were visiting. A different cultural attitude, perhaps?

Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 PM

811 posts, read 2,011,490 times
Gem, glad you're back!!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,323,340 times
I'll tell the MIL that the bank account is in Joe-Joe-Jingle's name and he is not in a generous mood. He is a also trained to smell drugs.

That should do it.

Yes, different cultures are very confusing, aren't they?

Or maybe she is just rude.

Ah, well, life goes on.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the welcome back, mysticfire. It is good to be home. I always love to go visit family, but when it is time to come home I am always very ready myself.

I am always very anxious to return to my friends in my computer.

You're onto something now, Hik. Let Joe-Joe do the cooking, too!

I would be very surprised if they actually showed up considering the warm welcome they could expect. Or, would that not be a deterrent? I will keep hoping for your peace of mind and happiness in your new home, sweet home.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,539,156 times
gem....I'm so happy you are back!!!

hik...That is one incredible cat!!!

mystic...Just so excited for you!!!

pam...I'm sure you will get more than enough to get you back home!!

Hi J&Em, suzanne, bones, bebette(so glad you are back), painter, ksurvivor, SMG, mbmouse, tenn sr, gailli and everyone else!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 PM

Mystic!!!! I just read through the thread and see that you are a new home owner!! Wow, when I left it looked kind of "iffy". Congratulations. I know you will be so happy to move into your new home.

Now, it is down to just 22,389 of us to find our new homes in E. TN!

And, Pam and Bill will soon be back in their new home. This is a very moving group of friends.

And, thank you, fallfanatic, for the nice welcome back!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM

811 posts, read 2,011,490 times
Thanks, Gem and Fallfanatic!

Off to bed I go! I need my beauty rest -LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,684,374 times
Welcome back, Gem! Guess you scrambled out of TX before Ike came stormin' in. Good thinking! Here in Central FL we had 2 whipping rain squalls from Ike this afternoon and early evening. I wouldn't want to be near Houston near the 'real' Ike for sure.

DILs can have a way of silent aggressive behavior it seems when the in-laws hit town. But, knowing you, on went the smooth gloves and business as usual.

Now's the time to start planning for that TN trip, isn't it? Let us know where you may land.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Suzanne, I have heard the same thing about d-i-ls. Mine have been wonderful. I see them all as the daughters that I waited to have after my 4 boys. When I hear my sons tell them that that isn't the way my mom makes it, or my mom always did this at home, or my mom lets my dad blah, blah, blah!!

I beg my boys to always appreciate their wives, their way of managing their own household, and just let them know that moms are for sharing lots of love and memories with, not necessarily the best recipes in the whole universe!!!

Our children, if not careful, can really break down the good vibes between their spouses and the in-laws very quickly - just by being too vocal about how great it was at home. Plus, sometimes their memories are a little shaded by time to begin with.

We were (or I was) holding our collective breath watching Ike's path and progression. Our connecting flight for Atlanta was Houston. I could just see us flying for 1 1/2 hours in sunshine and clear skies and then running into a brick wall of wind and rain in Houston coming home. Ike is a little on the slow, deliberate side. We landed in Houston, had a 2 hour lay-over, and right back up into the blue skies for another 2 1/2 hrs. into Atlanta. It couldn't have been smoother.

I couldn't help thinking as we left the ground in Houston and I looked down at all of the hundreds of neighborhoods and beautiful vistas below: What will this all look like in another 4 or 5 days? Sad, scary and devastating to think what might be headed their way.

I heard tonight on the 11 PM newscast that they are expecting storm surge of 20 feet in the Galveston area with waves of up to 50 ft. high. Unbelievable. They are telling people to evacuate or they will without question die in this storm. My thoughts and prayers are with all of those who are suffering this hurricane season.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
Hey everyone. I am just checking out info on support for single moms in the Knox area. I have been a stay at home mom for most of 18 yrs and am now back to work full-time since divorce started. Ive been working night shift to be able to take care of my 3 kids needs during the day. It has just about killed me! runnin on empty. I have been offered a 12p-8p position m-f no weekends. The only problem is I have no clue where to start to look for help w a 9yr old after school who plays little league football and my 16 yr old that plays football. my 17 yr old works after school and is limited help. plus she's 17!. Been doing it all myself and have no clue where to look 4 help. Any suggestions out there?

Moderator cut: email link removed, please email member at their screen name at yahoo.com or use DM feature

ANY suggestions greatly appreciated. I rarely ask for help and I might lose it if I keep this pace up! lol. not really.

Last edited by Beretta; 09-12-2008 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: email removed as crawlers will pick your addy up and start spamming you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville