Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
There is another vehicular bridge that was taken out near the Square without fanfare and never replaced.

That was the east Kansas bridge just after Strode Avenue.

That bridge was there when I was in high school because I remember driving across it. Kansas extended further east and went by a large greenhouse operation, but I cannot remember how far it extended. Now there is some type of healthcare facility there.

I know you weren't in HS in 1954 but Kansas extended east past N. Kiger. The last address was a residence at 1619. No greenhouse is listed. Perhaps it addressed on the crossing street.

EDIT: Same for 1960. In looking at the map, I recall us talking about the greenhouse before, and I'm sure its address was on E. Lexington. Hold on!

It was Cairns Flowers at 801

EDIT #2: The numbering on Kansas jumps from the 700s to the 1500s. Since I believe y'all have said LS Road used to be N. Kiger, then that would explain the numbering jumping 7-8 blocks to what was then N. Kiger, just as it looks on today's map, extending from LS Road only to Hillside Dr.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 06-23-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I know you weren't in HS in 1954 but Kansas extended east past N. Kiger. The last address was a residence at 1619. No greenhouse is listed. Perhaps it addressed on the crossing street.

EDIT: Same for 1960. In looking at the map, I recall us talking about the greenhouse before, and I'm sure its address was on E. Lexington. Hold on!

It was Cairns Flowers at 801

EDIT #2: The numbering on Kansas jumps from the 700s to the 1500s. Since I believe y'all have said LS Road used to be N. Kiger, then that would explain the numbering jumping 7-8 blocks to what was then N. Kiger, just as it looks on today's map, extending from LS Road only to Hillside Dr.
I forgot about that stretch of Kansas further east.

Kansas immediately east of the now gone bridge may not have had any houses, only going through the greenhouse complex and that may be why the city declined to replace the bridge.

Cairns was a big operation that extended north to south to Walnut.
I recall buying a number of Cymbidium orchid corsages for my Dickinson Road honey from Cairns and entered from Walnut at the railroad tracks where they crossed Walnut and Crane. I never spared any expense when it came to my Dickinson Road squeeze, that is, within my $1 per hour I was making at C&J, chuckle.

To my recollection their sales office was between Kansas and Walnut in one of the greenhouses.

They had a huge parking area right off Walnut that also contained big stockpiles of coal. I am guessing the coal was used to heat the greenhouses.

I was never aware of the Lexington address but think that could have been their residence or their administrative office with the entire complex extending from there to Walnut.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Speaking of Kiger Road.

C&J United Super was at 23rd and Kiger (now Lee's Summit Road).

When I toured the Bingham-Waggoner estate just recently, I got into a conversation with one of the older office ladies where the tour starts out. We were talking about the old days and she asked if I knew where C&J United Super was. Does a dog bark, chuckle.

She remembered Clarence Heflin (the C) and Jerry Fisher (the J) and she asked me if I recalled a number of customers by name there. Of course I did not, chuckle. At the time, I knew everyone's face but not their name.

At any rate, we both knew Heflin had passed on but neither of us knew if Fisher was still with us.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I forgot about that stretch of Kansas further east.

Kansas immediately east of the now gone bridge may not have had any houses, only going through the greenhouse complex and that may be why the city declined to replace the bridge.

Cairns was a big operation that extended north to south to Walnut.
I recall buying a number of Cymbidium orchid corsages for my Dickinson Road honey from Cairns and entered from Walnut at the railroad tracks where they crossed Walnut and Crane. I never spared any expense when it came to my Dickinson Road squeeze, that is, within my $1 per hour I was making at C&J, chuckle.

To my recollection their sales office was between Kansas and Walnut in one of the greenhouses.

They had a huge parking area right off Walnut that also contained big stockpiles of coal. I am guessing the coal was used to heat the greenhouses.

I was never aware of the Lexington address but think that could have been their residence or their administrative office with the entire complex extending from there to Walnut.
That is the office address and also the home of the Cairns owner, Thomas D, Jr.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
That is the office address and also the home of the Cairns owner, Thomas D, Jr.
At the Granada theater there was a clock with subdued lighted hands and numerals on the wall to the right of the movie screen facing the audience; the clock was visible during the movie and it was not distracting.

I think that clock had a Cairn's Flowers advertisement in a circle around it that also had subdued lighting.

The Englewood had a similar clock but I think a drug store might have had the advertisement there. Bunyar Drugs comes to mind.

I don't recall a similar clock in the Maywood but think there might have been one in the Plaza.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM

I remember the Granada clock but not the Cairn's ad. The clock served to tell us about how much longer the movie would last as we'd often get so engrossed in the film it'd be nearing conclusion before we knew it.

A secondary purpose was how much longer before a parent came to pick us up and spoil the day/evening

Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I remember the Granada clock but not the Cairn's ad. The clock served to tell us about how much longer the movie would last as we'd often get so engrossed in the film it'd be nearing conclusion before we knew it.

A secondary purpose was how much longer before a parent came to pick us up and spoil the day/evening
The parent aspect is why I think there might have been a clock in the Plaza. On one of Mom's shopping trips to the Square, she dropped us off when a western was playing. She checked the showtimes and then told us to be out at that time but allowing another ten or fifteen minutes for the cartoon and previews after the movie. I did not wear a watch in those younger days and I might have been around 9 or 10. The movie was so good that I and my sister stayed glued to our seats and started watching it a second time. I was hoping she would take longer to shop. Pretty soon, the usher came into the auditorium and shouted out our names--I knew I was in trouble.

The name of the movie, a western, was called Mutiny on the Blackhawk. It was a combination seafaring and western movie set in California. I never got to finish that "great" movie a second time and have never seen it on TV. It was a black and white B movie and was only a little over an hour long. I really doubt it was any good. I have looked it up and it was made in 1939 and must have been a re-release as I was watching it in the late forties or early fifties.

Sometimes on You Tube there are old movies posted full length. I have looked for this one without success. Somewhere I thought I read that there were no known prints in existence.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 06-24-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Yeah, those darn ushers. Walking up and down the aisles with flashlights helping people find seats, but also telling talkers to shut up and looking for couples making out in the back rows.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
Yeah, those darn ushers. Walking up and down the aisles with flashlights helping people find seats, but also telling talkers to shut up and looking for couples making out in the back rows.

You betcha! That's why I always liked Drive ins better. Especially on the back row! Whenever I'd go to the 63rd and "park" on the back row, it seemed like I was almost in Indep. it was so big! Just don't ask me what movies I saw! Movies?? WHAT movies?!

Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
You betcha! That's why I always liked Drive ins better. Especially on the back row! Whenever I'd go to the 63rd and "park" on the back row, it seemed like I was almost in Indep. it was so big! Just don't ask me what movies I saw! Movies?? WHAT movies?!
Chuckle, I went to the 63rd Street several times. What is there now?

I might have went to the Heart one time. Is it gone also? Seems like there was an I-70, also.

Usually it was the Highway 40, but I also went to the Twin a couple times.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City