Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
First the "nice Canadian" clue would approximate "North Pleasant" in a sort of sad sort of riddle.

As to the house, I don't recall any famous former residents. I came across the negative in my collection from the days of my youth. That sparked the memory that I had taken them while my Dad was doing some work in the house while it was vacant. I don't know who owned it or hired him.

When I found this one I was actually looking for another that I had hoped would make a good mystery. Alas, my memory of the photo was enhanced, and it was not recognizable to anyone but me.

Hold your breath though, I still have several trays of slide to digitize. They should yield some good mystery shots.

It was a Mrs Annie Jackson in 1960 Scanning the blocks, it sure looks like alot of widows (and/or divorcees) lived along there as well as my 7th & 8th grade music teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It was a Mrs Annie Jackson in 1960 Scanning the blocks, it sure looks like alot of widows (and/or divorcees) lived along there as well as my 7th & 8th grade music teacher.
You are probably referring to Mrs. Tyson, who lived just north of Farmer on Pleasant. Her son was a P.E. teacher at WCHS Jr., and lived just around the corner from her on Farmer west of Pleasant.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
You are probably referring to Mrs. Tyson, who lived just north of Farmer on Pleasant. Her son was a P.E. teacher at WCHS Jr., and lived just around the corner from her on Farmer west of Pleasant.
Or Mrs. Weddle, who lived a few doors north of the pictured house.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:

That's alot closer !

Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

I probably should have recognized this place. But when this photo was taken it probably looked more like the current day looks, above. Just across the street a slight jog is/was Independence Junior High School at the corner of Truman and Pleasant.

Today, the Truman Road side at the school has both sidewalk and grass but back then it was all concrete sidewalk. In the eighth grade after lunch, a number of us would congregate on that Truman side when we were not playing volleyball and talk. We could not have been more than 100 feet or so from this house.

That same year the city paved Truman with concrete and we would watch the construction from that side of the school. We got pretty close to the paving machine but I dont think any of the work crew ever told us to get back. I cannot recall what Truman Road looked like before paving but the city had to pass a bond issue to get the job done.

One of the guys I hung out with on that corner was my best friend that year, at least in school. We were good friends all that school year.

During the summer months after the eighth grade, I happened to read a small article in The Examiner saying that he had been killed in a tractor accident on a farm where he had been visiting. He was driving the tractor going up a hill and somehow flipped it over on to himself.

This was quite a shock to a thirteen year old, which took me a while to get over.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM

This is my old Army unit, chortle.

That is the east side of the previous courthouse.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I think I recall a Franklyn Weddle, who was a teacher at Independence Junior High.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM

These fellows look rather dapper. I wonder, though, if a horse might not have just been in there.

If it were not for the date, that could be Jesse James on the left in his "duster" coming in to do business.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Be sure to let us know how your garden grows!
Those ten cent seed packets were $9.99. They are still on there.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 AM

I am thinking that when Truman Road was paved, it soon became the 3.69 mile long M-12, which now follows Truman Road from I-435 to Spring Street.

Initially after paving, Truman Road was two-way and then at some point Truman became one-way going west from about Noland or Main to Grand, where it again became two-way.

M-12 started at about Lynn Street going one-way west. I don't recall a sign saying "Begin M-12."

Maple Street from Grand was given the M-12 designation one-way east ending at Lynn Street. There was a sign at Lynn Street that said "M-12 End."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City