Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times

Advertisements

This may be difficult and, if so, I will provide clues. Who is the man on the far left in this photo?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

That overlook would have been overlooking this 1842 painting of Wayne City Landing. So, I wonder where the actual site of the town was below the overlook.

Based on that winding road in the right of the picture, no wonder they had a difficult time getting the merchandise up and onto River Blvd or up to the train, which came along in 1849.

I am wondering if that winding road can be pinpointed today?
The railroad you mention is the other historically significant item. It was the first RR west of the Mississippi River. Built with wooden rails, it was powered by a pair of mules. On the trip from the Square to the river one of the mules got to ride in the train instead of pulling, since it was mostly downhill. That RR came down the valley followed by the current day Sugar Creek Boulevard north of US 24 Hiway, then meandered NW, crossing Sterling just south of the north junction with Kentucky. It then looped around to the ENE to the landing. Today's BNSF tracks are roughly in the same place.

The RR had a turntable in the street on Maple between Liberty and Osage. It wasn't for turning the locomotive, as the mules were unhitched and walked around. It was used to direct the freight cars into one of several warehouses. That turntable was accidentally dug up in later years during road work on Maple.

An 1852 flood dropped a large sandbar in front of the Wayne City Landing, thus steamboats could no longer reach it and the RR folded.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
This may be difficult and, if so, I will provide clues. Who is the man on the far left in this photo?
I don't see President Truman, myself, nor my parents, thus I shall need a clue!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I don't see President Truman, myself, nor my parents, thus I shall need a clue!
Business owner of a well-known Independence business.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:54 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Business owner of a well-known Independence business.

Don Slusher.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:13 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Fire station #2--the rest of the story.

Below is fire station #2 located at 39th and Phelps Road but #2 was not always located here. In the new area of the city at the time, this building was erected in the mid-sixties.

Below is fire station #2 located at 1215 w Elm prior to the mid-sixties move. The building was erected in 1928 and is now the Pace Bicycle shop. The tower in the back was used to hang hoses to dry. But #2 was not always located here.

This is fire station #2 located at 1213 w Elm sometime around 1916. Electric Street is to the left This #2 was a lot away from the future #2. But this was not the first location the city of Independence wanted for #2.

From The Examiner, 100 years ago, February 1916:

”In its efforts to secure a location for the new fire department station in the Fourth Ward, the council committee came back with a triangular piece of ground bounded by Electric, Walnut and Grand Avenue as the most desirable and convenient spot for the purpose. The piece of ground belongs to the Reorganized Church of Latter-day Saints. It is not for sale, but the city is negotiating for it with the proposition to make the ground a beauty spot.”

Below is a triangular area that is still there today.

Below is the triangle the city wanted to purchase. Grand Street has long since been abandoned in that area but the parcel, today, does not look large enough to hold much. But, the city could have been thinking about closing that small area of Grand Avenue to provide more room. It looks as though the fire department building would have exited on to Electric Street.

The church did not sell that triangular location to the city but Electric was eventually filled with several businesses on both sides of the street from the old William Chrisman high school, where Electric Street began, to the railroad tracks including several automobile sales areas, the Speaks Funeral Home, Jennings Furniture, and City Café on the east side. The Natatorium, Safeway, a hobby shop, a printing shop, an undertaker and a few others were on the west side. The church bought the east side properties from Walnut to Elm in the last twenty to thirty years for their expansion.

It was also proposed that the Missouri Pacific RR station be located on Electric with elevators taking travelers down to the tracks running under the street.

Since the church did not sell the triangular parcel to the city for a fire house, or maybe could not come to terms on price, the city located fire station #2 further south on Elm Street at 1213 west, just east of Electric a couple doors.

Station #2 apparently was not at that location very long as the history of the Independence Fire Department says that station was abandoned.

Then in 1928, the city built a new station #2, next door at 1215 west Elm.

That #2 station was replaced by the facility at 39th and Phelps Road around the same time period the #1 station moved to larger quarters on Highway 24.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Don Slusher.
No, this man's business was larger than the shoe store.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
No, this man's business was larger than the shoe store.
Is that Wild Mr. Woody?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Is that Wild Mr. Woody?
Close enough. His name was Ed Wood.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Close enough. His name was Ed Wood.
How about the rest of the people at that table? I'll guess the lady next to Mr. Wood should be Mrs. Wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City