Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

When I first saw the photo of the House on Pine Street, I "knew" I had seen this house before but recalled that it was not in Independence. The balcony over the front door really stood out.

The Rice-Treronti farm house at 8801 E 66th, Raytown, was built in 1844 and is the same style. The House on Pine Street does not have the two chimneys, so it looks like it has been completely modernized. I looked at a You Tube trailer for the House on Pine Street and the inside does look rather modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 11:01 AM

239 posts, read 257,612 times
Maybe I might get one right for a change!!!

You're right about 112 West Lexington Avenue. There's also 321 West Lexington Avenue, along with 308 West Kansas Avenue. Can't overlook Jackson County GIS on 303 West Walnut Avenue either!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Okay, that would be an interesting subject, which I don't have the answers.

So chime in everyone.

What current day addresses in all of Independence, Missouri, house Jackson County offices?

I will start it off with one place that most people would not have a clue as to the address and would have to look it up: 112 w Lexington.

The winner that has the most addresses gets a free trip to the square to look at the 326.74 marker.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Maybe I might get one right for a change!!!

You're right about 112 West Lexington Avenue. There's also 321 West Lexington Avenue, along with 308 West Kansas Avenue. Can't overlook Jackson County GIS on 303 West Walnut Avenue either!!
Doesn't the county own the old city hall at 200 S Main, also?

Old 01-24-2016, 11:18 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I watched The Last Will this evening with Tom Berenger, Tatum O’Neal, etc.

It was so bad it was good—sort of.

The scenery was really nice but most of it was in downtown Kansas City with the WWI Mall, Union Station, the interstates leading into downtown from the Kansas direction, and some other places that I was not familiar with.

Tom Berenger played a doctor who lived in a mansion that from the exterior looked like it could have been the “Phil Week’s” home on 39th Street east of Crysler, complete with circular drive and numerous trees. The Independence Police and a plainclothes detective were at the door responding to a call from the doctor’s wife, Tatum O’Neal. I could not tell if the car had Independence on it but I could see the “INDEP” part of the police officer’s shoulder patch.

One scene looking out the second floor showed the circular driveway, but other scenes from the second floor looking out showed an entirely different neighborhood without trees.

I am not familiar with the courtroom(s) inside the Truman Courthouse. I was in there many years ago and cannot remember what I saw. But if the interior shots were in the Truman courtroom, the exterior shots showing the characters showing up and leaving court were the exterior of the KC courthouse.

In the courtroom scenes, an Independence policeman was acting as a bailiff.

In the cemetery scene there were three Independence Police officers standing around.

The exterior police building shown was the Independence Police Building from Noland Road. I am not familiar with the interior as I have never been in there so I could not tell if the interior shots of the building were the IPD building.

At the end of the movie at the climax, there were clearly two police cars marked Independence in the circular driveway in front of the mansion.

On a different subject: Many years ago it was easy to tell a KC policeman from an Independence policeman. The Independence police were the boys in blue with nice looking uniforms. The Kansas City police were in olive drab uniforms that were really drab to say the least. At some point, KC switched to blue.
My Beloved and I viewed this movie last evening via YouTube (search for "The Last Will" full movie). It does have oodles of local scenes, but will never be considered for any awards. Here is a list I jotted as we viewed:

-Many homes along Ward Parkway are in the opening scenes
-Downtown KC is viewed from several different angles, including from the north end of the Heart of America bridge.
-Union Station
-Liberty Memorial
-Brush Creek in the Plaza
-The uniformed officers were in IPD uniforms, with its distinctive shoulder patch. I did not recognize any of the officers, but they may have been actual officers working as extras.
-Some of the police cars were the B&W style we had a few years ago. Others were the solid dark blue used by KCPD.
-I think the cemetery used was KC's Elmwood Cemetery at Truman & Van Brunt.
-The JC Nichols Fountain at the Plaza.
-The ambulance was from AMR, the local service provider for Independence.
-Watt's 50-plus Pharmacy on West Lexington just off the Square.
-The pedestrian bridges connecting Crown Center with Union Station.
-The main entrance of IPD HQ on the Memorial Drive side (old Noland Road). The interiors were not IPD, probably done on an Hollywood soundstage.
-The former BMA tower, which is now condos.
-Bartle Hall and the new performing arts center.
-The Brady courtroom in the historic courthouse on the Square. The courthouse entrance scenes at first view appeared to be the Jackson County Courthouse downtown, but I'm pretty sure it was actually part of the Liberty Memorial, WWI Museum complex.
-And finally, the house. It has a similar appearance to the Weeks/Vaughan/Waits home on 39th, but was actually a home in the Briarcliff area of KC North.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
My Beloved and I viewed this movie last evening via YouTube (search for "The Last Will" full movie). It does have oodles of local scenes, but will never be considered for any awards. Here is a list I jotted as we viewed:

-Many homes along Ward Parkway are in the opening scenes
-Downtown KC is viewed from several different angles, including from the north end of the Heart of America bridge.
-Union Station
-Liberty Memorial
-Brush Creek in the Plaza
-The uniformed officers were in IPD uniforms, with its distinctive shoulder patch. I did not recognize any of the officers, but they may have been actual officers working as extras.
-Some of the police cars were the B&W style we had a few years ago. Others were the solid dark blue used by KCPD.
-I think the cemetery used was KC's Elmwood Cemetery at Truman & Van Brunt.
-The JC Nichols Fountain at the Plaza.
-The ambulance was from AMR, the local service provider for Independence.
-Watt's 50-plus Pharmacy on West Lexington just off the Square.
-The pedestrian bridges connecting Crown Center with Union Station.
-The main entrance of IPD HQ on the Memorial Drive side (old Noland Road). The interiors were not IPD, probably done on an Hollywood soundstage.
-The former BMA tower, which is now condos.
-Bartle Hall and the new performing arts center.
-The Brady courtroom in the historic courthouse on the Square. The courthouse entrance scenes at first view appeared to be the Jackson County Courthouse downtown, but I'm pretty sure it was actually part of the Liberty Memorial, WWI Museum complex.
-And finally, the house. It has a similar appearance to the Weeks/Vaughan/Waits home on 39th, but was actually a home in the Briarcliff area of KC North.

If you make a list of those killed in the film, the story is outlandish.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It's Trivia Time!

The Diamond Bowl has been an Uptown fixture for many years. Can you answer any of these questions about this establishment?

-What year did it first open?

-Where did it first open?

-What occupied the first site before the bowling alley?

-Who was the first bowler on opening day?

-How much did a line of bowling cost when Diamond opened?

-Why was it named "Diamond Bowl"?

-What connection does Diamond Bowl have with the Rockwood Country Club?
And now- the rest of the story...

Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;42757159]And now- the rest of the story...

Interesting, thx. DoubleBurger w/ fries and drink of your choice awaits, check HiBoy will call window

I remember both Dick Puhr and Bill Van Velzen.

Bowling was taking off in the late 50s, Strike and Spare opened around that time and featured at least 16 lanes, a nursery, and Brunswick Automatic Lanes, with lots of parking. Diamond had the 8 lane AMF lanes with pinboys, probably some WCHS 59 acquaintances making a buck or two on weekends or after school. It was customary to tip the pinboy for practice bowling. Even though the article says pinboys were hard to find/keep, I thought it was a pretty cool looking job and envied the older kids that were employed.

I know I was in a Summer League in 1960, also VBS across the street at Methodist church. By then SnS was the "in place" so that was likely the end of my run @ Diamond. Sad that it had to change locations but on or about the time this thread started, and my interest in Old Indy was renewed, I was thrilled to learn that DB was still in business. I would have guessed not.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:43 PM

[quote=MRG Dallas;42769633]
Quote:

Interesting, thx. DoubleBurger w/ fries and drink of your choice awaits, check HiBoy will call window

Bowling was taking off in the late 50s, Strike and Spare opened around that time and featured at least 16 lanes, a nursery, and Brunswick Automatic Lanes, with lots of parking. Diamond had the 8 lane AMF lanes with pinboys, probably some WCHS 59 acquaintances making a buck or two on weekends or after school. It was customary to tip the pinboy for practice bowling. Even though the article says pinboys were hard to find/keep, I thought it was a pretty cool looking job and envied the older kids that were employed.

I know I was in a Summer League in 1960, also VBS across the street at Methodist church. By then SnS was the "in place" so that was likely the end of my run @ Diamond. Sad that it had to change locations but on or about the time this thread started, and my interest in Old Indy was renewed, I was thrilled to learn that DB was still in business. I would have guessed not.

Thanks, but I prefer the onion rings over the fries! Yup, Diamond Bowl is still going. A couple of years ago my SS class had a group party there. The pizza came from another McClain biz, Square Pizza.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Our Newest Poster's (welcome!) interest in Englewood piqued my interest in Independence "neighborhoods" Wikipedia often compiles lists of hoods for cities (see, e.g. KC link below), but I couldn't find anything in Wiki nor on the City's website.

I was wondering if we could compile a list of "hoods," given the variety of posters here. Definition is open to question, but areas that are/were commonly considered smaller units of town. I'll start with

EW
Maywood
The Square
Tomasha
Manor Oaks

You see, I'm out already. Gimme some names here, Experts, and let's make a list. Here's KC List as a guide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighb...s_City,_Kansas

Old 01-25-2016, 02:13 PM

[quote=MRG Dallas;42769633]
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City