Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Just received this 5 minute video, wow, so many memories. Well worth your time to view it.

Warning: pictures go back quickly so have your finger on the Pause button. Photos from all around KC including some of Independence.

Kansas City Wrinkles on Vimeo
One of the photos was that of the drug store on the northwest corner of Lexington and Union Street, right across from the old WCHS. That place must have made a mint from soda fountain sales to the school kids.

Dont know the fate of the drug store but that entire block is now vacant and belongs to the Community Church of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Just received this 5 minute video, wow, so many memories. Well worth your time to view it.

Warning: pictures go back quickly so have your finger on the Pause button. Photos from all around KC including some of Independence.

Thanks for the memories! That was a whole lotta pausin'!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Here are my four suggestions.

1. You got to kidding..............

2. The interior of the building that started out in 1961, or so, as the Central Missouri State College classroom building on Mechanic Street. It is now a high school of some sort. However, That interior does not look like it might be fifty some years old. I took several night classes there in 1962 and 1963.

3. Interior of the Independence City Hall, although I have never been in there.

4. Interior of the Independence Police Building although I have never been in there.
Quote:
Yeah, really, this looks way too new and "Common" to figure out so let me "process of elimination' strategize here:

This is NOT a Courthouse hallway

This is NOT a corridor of The San

This is NOT a hallway in HST Library

Otherwise, there's that Elephino guy again.
Quote:
One of my other thoughts was that it might have been a hallway in the closed off work wing of the Truman Library. Harry Truman had an office in that area that he was supposed to have visited daily, at least in the early after Presidency years.
So far you are 100% correct on where it isn't.

I now offer the following clues:

-Somewhere over the last 200+ pages we have discussed this place (probably more than once).
-I am certain each of you have been in the structure, and possibly this hallway.
-I am certain that we had a discussion related to this hallway.

Tomorrow I shall add another photo from this place.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:

One of the photos was that of a bag of Kitty Clover potato chips. All of the grocery stores I worked at carried Guys potato chips and Kitty Clover.

Guys was a normal type of potato chip. Kitty Clover was different. I don't know how to explain it as to how they looked an tasted but they were different. Both were pretty good.

I read a number of years ago that each major metro area had their own brand of potato chips because transportation was an issue with chips. They just could not be shipped that far. I suppose that Lay's or Ruffle's has bought a good number of the old potato chip makers.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Thanks for the memories! That was a whole lotta pausin'!
You're welcome! Sure makes us long for and appreciate The Good Ol Days. I saw a couple of shots of Kelly's, Raytown Jr High @ 2:41, Fairyland, even the Pine Tar Incident lol...and a whole host of other stuff I could recognize.

On the "Independence Drug Co." by 1960 it's listed as "High School Pharmacy" The rest of the 800 block was residences. Again, I hate that block has been leveled.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
So far you are 100% correct on where it isn't.

I now offer the following clues:

-Somewhere over the last 200+ pages we have discussed this place (probably more than once).
-I am certain each of you have been in the structure, and possibly this hallway.
-I am certain that we had a discussion related to this hallway.

Tomorrow I shall add another photo from this place.

The corridor under the Blue Ridge Mall? Only place I can think of where I might have been (and discussed here)

Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
The corridor under the Blue Ridge Mall? Only place I can think of where I might have been (and discussed here)
We have a WINNER!!!!

A few more shots from that Iconic location...

Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Good show MRG Dallas. MAD, do you have any shots exterior or interior of the current police department or current city hall or even the old city hall and police at Kansas and Main?

Last edited by WCHS'59; 02-09-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Good show MRG Dallas. MAD, do you have any shots exterior or interior of the current police department or current city hall or even the old city hall and police at Kansas and Main?
We'll start with these and see what else I find...

The last one was taken around the time we moved to the new building. I worked in the annex, at Liberty & Kansas. The main building housed the command staff, records, dispatch, courtroom, and jail.

The stoplight in the yard was a safety lesson. It was green if there were no injury auto accidents in the last 24 hours. Yellow meant an injury within 24 hours, red was a fatality. It was yellow most of the time.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
We'll start with these and see what else I find...

The last one was taken around the time we moved to the new building. I worked in the annex, at Liberty & Kansas. The main building housed the command staff, records, dispatch, courtroom, and jail.

The stoplight in the yard was a safety lesson. It was green if there were no injury auto accidents in the last 24 hours. Yellow meant an injury within 24 hours, red was a fatality. It was yellow most of the time.
I was always interested in that balcony over the front entrance that had access from the second floor. Back when mass meetings of the populace were popular, the mayor must have addressed interested citizens from that balcony.

At one time, the police department was entered via a sidewalk off Kansas entering through that side door in the photo. The booking desk was right inside and up one level, I think, and there were two cells, one for each sex, upstairs that I am aware of. Other city departments occupied the rest of the building.

The current occupants appear to have made a window out of the former police entrance or it is entirely blocked with trees and there is no longer a sidewalk entrance from Kansas.

Would be nice if you had photos of the "new" police and "new" city hall. I have never been in either of those buildings.

Also, the 6623 taxi company was in a very small building next to that police walk up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City