Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,512,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
PS: I've got 4 tickets to the sold out upcoming Feb 23rd Monster Truck Rally. $25,000, OBO
nah doing the soccer thing the week before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM

705 posts, read 1,577,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
There are dozens of Bass Pro Shops from coast to coast ... but when they put one here, we'll be the "unofficial capital of redneckdom"?
It's the most redneck big city I've ever lived in by a substantial margin. The Bass Pro Shop coming to town is just the icing on the cake. There may be a more redneck big city, but I honestly don't know what it is. Jacksonville is 30 miles from the Georgia border. Do the math. Just because there are a lots of transplants and everybody isn't into that sort of thing, doesnt mean it's not prevalent around here. Almost everybody I work with hunts. Other places I've lived, not so much. Put up a poll. Most redneck metro area (oxymoron, I know) in America? I guarantee we'll be in the top 3. It is what it is. It's just the culture here like surfing in California, gambling in Nevada or farming in Indiana. Here, it's huntin' and fishin' y'all.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,512,927 times
so hunting is redneck??

Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 PM

838 posts, read 1,878,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Totally agree.

Jacksonville doesn't need a Bass Pro Shop to be considered the unofficial capital of Redneckdom. (actually, wasn't that title officially bestowed upon us, a few years back?)

PS: I've got 4 tickets to the sold out upcoming Feb 23rd Monster Truck Rally. $25,000, OBO
Sigh ... I've lived here since '68 ... I know & have known hundreds of folks ... I don't know any hunters ... I know 1 fisherman ... don't know any rednecks ... not saying there aren't any, but Jax isn't overrun with them like you seen to think ...

Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM

511 posts, read 492,071 times
Quote:
Ever consider phalloplasty?

After all, isn't hunting just treating your symptom, instead of the real cause?
Ooh...those multisyllabic words from the ancient Greek...how cerebral!!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
so hunting is redneck??
Not by itself, no. However, it looks good on your resume for acceptance into the club.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Sigh ... I've lived here since '68 ... I know & have known hundreds of folks ... I don't know any hunters ... I know 1 fisherman ... don't know any rednecks ... not saying there aren't any, but Jax isn't overrun with them like you seen to think ...
Overrun? In the city proper, maybe not, but in the outlying areas, Macclenny, Baldwin, Callahan, etc., oh yeah.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 PM

589 posts, read 851,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Ooh...those multisyllabic words from the ancient Greek...how cerebral!!!!

As are moros, banausos, and ilithios.

I'll wait another 2-3 days, while you scramble to find those definitions too.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM

589 posts, read 851,631 times
Quote:

Well then, you need to get out more.............

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...lbilly-18.html

If we're not the biggest redneck city in the country, we're certainly in the 'hunt.' (nice play on words huh?)

What makes Jacksonville unique is that most of the other cities in the above link, are far smaller than we are. The very nature of larger cities tends to make them more progressive and open minded in their thinking, because of the influx of transient residents from all over the Country, and their corresponding wide mix of ideas and opinions.

Somehow, Jacksonville has managed to grow relatively large in size, while retaining most of its rural redneck nature.

Lucky us.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,348 times
Quote:
Oh, so it's not just a hunting and fishing gear store. They also have hunting and fishing clothes, hunting and fishing supplies, hunting and fishing gifts, and hunting and fishing classes for the kids. OK, now I got it.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you have some kind of processing disorder. Clearly, reading comprehension is not your friend.

-They have outdoor apparel. You do know that there are things to do outdoors besides hunt and fish, right? Put down the cheesy poofs and go outside. Bass Pro Shop carries Columbia, North Face, Under Armour, Salt Life, ....just to name a few.

-Camping does not have to include hunting or fishing. Bass Pro Shop has a great selection of camping equipment.

-Boating doesn't not always mean fishing. We have a sailboat and go out several times a week. We never fish off the boat.

-Golf has nothing at all to do with hunting or fishing. You use a little club to strike a small ball in an effort to put that little ball in a hole. You don't need any type of gun or fishing pole.

-Nature centers and conservation classes generally don't involve shooting anything. It's considered bad form to shoot at the exhibits.

Do I need to keep going or are you starting to get it? Outdoors does not always mean hunting and fishing. You can camp, exercise, play, swim, boat, golf, birdwatch ....all kinds of wonderful things happen in the outdoors. Maybe walk away from your computer and venture outside once in a while.

Oh, and take a reading class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville