Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times

Advertisements

Currently we keep our thermostat set at 65 in the winter and 78 in the summer. Not sure what were going to set it to at the new place yet.

And not only is it going to be cold this weekend but there's a NorEaster blowing in on Friday/Saturday. So the wind chill will be worse.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 12-08-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM

838 posts, read 1,876,568 times
I'm 57 ... been in Jax since '68 ... I love when it gets cold ... I love 30-35 degrees with no wind (no wind is the key ingredient)... I'll be on the front porch with my newspaper & a mug of coffee ...

Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Early 60's.

We were raised in the "snow belts" of Michigan and Indiana. Spent numerous years in So Calif before we met and after we met/married moved to Colorado. We both missed the 4-seasons and really liked living there and somewhat enjoyed the winter months. The change came when I had my hip replaced and had rotator cuff surgery (due to a fall in ice/snow). After that, and getting a few years older since moving to CO, we just didn't want anymore snow/ice or cold weather (that cold of weather anyway).
While living in Colorado, I worked in Senior Healthcare and a lot of those folks would really complain about the cold/snow. But, due to health problems and family, they couldn't move.

This cold weather brings on big concerns for older folks (like us) due to catching pneumonia. I got it back in Dec '09 and it wasn't fun......coughing up a storm!
Guess I'd better enjoy it while I can!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
LoveBoating doesn't like old age.
Either way, it beats the alternative!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM

8,951 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Actually, I think it's hard for a lot of folks to understand "body pains" due to weather that haven't had surgeries like the ones I've had. Even though my wife hasn't had the surgeries I have, her body can get aches/pains in cold weather or with a weather change coming (warm to cold). But, when dealing with aches/pains from weather, it's still better living here than it was in Colorado or North Carolina!

Anyway, add normal "old age" aches/pains to previous surgeries aches/pains that can come in cold weather and my name is right on the list saying........"ooooooh, I'm achy!" I say "old age" because sometimes when those aches/pains show up, I can definitely feel "OLD"!

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 12-09-2011 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
No heat? What temp do you set your thermostat at? Robyn
I don't even know what it's set at currently because I don't have the heat on.

Family moved down here in January of last year so we've been in this house almost a year. We turned the heat on maybe 3 or 4 nights because the kids' rooms tend to get a little colder. I think we set it at 60 or 62.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, I think it's hard for a lot of folks to understand "body pains" due to weather that haven't had surgeries like the ones I've had. Even though my wife hasn't had the surgeries I have, her body can get aches/pains in cold weather or with a weather change coming (warm to cold). But, when dealing with aches/pains from weather, it's still better living here than it was in Colorado or North Carolina!
I agree. I haven't had surgeries but I have a couple of injuries which can flare up when it's cold. I've just grown so used to the pain I don't notice it all that much. Sad, eh?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I don't even know what it's set at currently because I don't have the heat on.

Family moved down here in January of last year so we've been in this house almost a year. We turned the heat on maybe 3 or 4 nights because the kids' rooms tend to get a little colder. I think we set it at 60 or 62.
Brrrrrrrr.......

Robyn

Old 12-09-2011, 05:02 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Old people like to be warm! Thats why so many of them retire here or in Arizona.
Notice I said warm not hot and humid.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Brrrrrrrr.......

Robyn
More like, "Ahhhhh..." for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville