Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Some older folks can handle cold weather much better than others! I was pretty much fine in Colorado winters until I had the hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery. If you've had any surgeries in the last 10 yrs and none are affected by cold weather.........you are lucky! As I said before, I worked in Senior Healthcare in Denver, CO and talked to many people in their 60's and up that sure didn't like the winters there and had aches/pains a lot.
Another thing.....I sure didn't have the aches/pains I do now when I was in my 30's/40's and some of my 50's!

Due to our love of powerboating, we do like heat, but not in the high 90's however. Wear jeans/long sleeve shirt or shorts and a t-shirt......we will take shorts/t-shirt any day! As far as "acting old", you'd never tell that we are in our early 60's when we are on our boat! Drinking some brews, eating and Classic Rock music playing on the boat while tied up at the Landing!
Thank God, my surgeries haven't stopped me from boating, fishing or going to the gun and rifle range! But, too cold of weather does stop all of that activity! When it's warm, we are having one word.......FUN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You can't make blanket statements about age either. A MAJOR part is how you have lived your life (sitting all day?) and how you think about age. If you THINK you are old, you WILL be. Just as with the weather. If you hated the cold (or heat) when you were 6, you will probably hate it at 60 just as much. Do a complete turn around because you are now "old"? Doubt that.
Personally, I hated the heat as child. STILL hate the heat. I prefer cold weather even though I am 63 now. Yes, I can shovel snow. But then, I still work for a living pushing disabled kids (and adults) in wheelchairs, lifting them, changing diapers, etc. The way some people talk, I should be the one in that wheelchair at my "old age". lol I still like to ice skate, and do. I would rather do that that SIT by a pool, on a beach, etc. Getting old hasn't changed that. Back to the OP, putting on more clothes or MOVING keeps you warm. It is easier to find a solution to the cold than extreme heat.
For all you "youngsters", all "old people" are not the same, just as all of you aren't the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
You can't make blanket statements about age either.
Yes! Actually he can, after all everyone in here is just stating their opinion. Just as it's your opinion that he can't make blanket statements.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
As a wise man once said, "it's not about how old you feel, it's about who you feel." Therein lies the secret of staying young.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
I still love the cold we have here in Northeast Florida, but it did sneak in fast last night and this afternoon!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I love this weather! Great sleeping weather. Nice hot shower weather. You can have a fire and ENJOY it. Most importantly, my JEA bill is CHEAP...no AC an no heat!
No heat? What temp do you set your thermostat at? Robyn

Old 12-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Not sure how much younger but you're probably right.

I just HATE the heat...always have. I'm a polar bear. I have always preferred it cooler. Fall was always my favorite time of the year up North because that meant snow and snow means skiing (I worked as a volunteer ski patroller for abou 7 years).

Heck, I haven't even broken out a jacket yet this year much less a sweat shirt. I have, however, worn a long sleeve t-shirt (with shorts) to a couple of my son's fall baseball games.
I think it's a personal preference (either mental or physical). My BIL is about 60 - lives in Michigan - and starts to sweat when it's about 65. I am *in sweats* - pants and shirt - when it's about 65.

I do have a recommendation for everyone here though. There's a place called The Company Store:

Bedding: We're All About Comfort | The Company Store

It sells all sizes - colors - weights in terms of comforters. Both down and synthetic. We use the two palm tree (tropical) Primaloft in the summer - the one snowflake (medium warmth) Primaloft in the winter. Excellent quality stuff. And if you buy Primaloft - it's washable (at a commercial laundry).

FWIW - they usually have sales in the summer. No surprise there. Robyn

Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
...This cold weather brings on big concerns for older folks (like us) due to catching pneumonia. I got it back in Dec '09 and it wasn't fun......coughing up a storm!
You've had a pneumovax vaccination - yes? If not - get one tomorrow. Robyn

Old 12-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I don't think it's ... LoveBoating doesn't like old age. I believe it's more a case of ... Old age doesn't like LoveBoating! It was cold this morning 33° @ 6:30AM when I left, to go down to the river, 41° when I got down there @ 6:50 (always feels a little warmer on the river in the winter) It wasn't so cold it was uncomfortable taking photo's because the wind was down some. The wind chill will cut you like a knife.
It was 44 out on my porch this morning (in PVB). And that thermostat is surrounded on 3 sides by the house. So I reckon the real outdoor temp was a bit colder. Not close to freezing though. I bought a new type of cold resistant hibiscus this spring. And - so far - so good. Robyn

Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
You can't make blanket statements about age either. A MAJOR part is how you have lived your life (sitting all day?) and how you think about age. If you THINK you are old, you WILL be. Just as with the weather. If you hated the cold (or heat) when you were 6, you will probably hate it at 60 just as much. Do a complete turn around because you are now "old"? Doubt that.
Personally, I hated the heat as child. STILL hate the heat. I prefer cold weather even though I am 63 now. Yes, I can shovel snow. But then, I still work for a living pushing disabled kids (and adults) in wheelchairs, lifting them, changing diapers, etc. The way some people talk, I should be the one in that wheelchair at my "old age". lol I still like to ice skate, and do. I would rather do that that SIT by a pool, on a beach, etc. Getting old hasn't changed that. Back to the OP, putting on more clothes or MOVING keeps you warm. It is easier to find a solution to the cold than extreme heat.
For all you "youngsters", all "old people" are not the same, just as all of you aren't the same.
I think you're wrong. Sometimes it is health problems having nothing to do with how you've lived your life. E.g., my husband with MS. Although he is unusual in that his problems don't seem to get better or worse depending on the temp.

I do agree that we all have personal preferences in terms of heat and cold. I have never liked cold weather - even when I was in my teens in college (in the snow belt in NY). And now that I am 64 - I find it easier in terms of doing active things like playing golf when I can do them in shorts and short sleeve shirts in warmer weather - as opposed to bundling up in colder weather. Also - my muscles warm up more quickly - and I don't have to worry as much about pulling this - that or the other thing.

FWIW - I am the worst ice skater in the history of the world. My husband and I once went to Sun Valley - the famous ice skating rink - and I was totally pathetic . Robyn

Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
FWIW - I am the worst ice skater in the history of the world. My husband and I once went to Sun Valley - the famous ice skating rink - and I was totally pathetic . Robyn

FWIW - I think there's probably about 700-800,000 people in Duval county that are worse ice skaters than you. Due to the fact that they have never seen ice! Heck! Who knows, you may be the best ice queen in all of NE FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville