Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It's impossible to quantify what percent of a particular city is racist, and to what extent they are racist. They may just be racially ignorant (believe all racial stereotypes are completely true - there's no exceptions) opposed to being a racist, who has a strong dislike for particular races.

I think it's a fair assumption by the modern world that Indiana as a whole, is generally a more racist/racially ignorant state than most.

You know when posters have trouble admitting racism exists - it's something they've been conditioned to believe. There's a lot of cognitive dissonance in this topic regarding racism. In larger cities, while there is much more diversity and integration, people generally can admit racism still exists.

It's something mid-sized cities still struggle with, proof they still hold onto Main Street USA somehow.
Oooh.....cognitive dissonance. Moving on from "standard deviation"??

And how did you come to this "fair assumption"?? Through some Hoosiers you met in Chicago??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
It's impossible to quantify what percent of a particular city is racist, and to what extent they are racist. They may just be racially ignorant (believe all racial stereotypes are completely true - there's no exceptions) opposed to being a racist, who has a strong dislike for particular races.

I think it's a fair assumption by the modern world that Indiana as a whole, is generally a more racist/racially ignorant state than most.
Wow, I actually agree with you.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Oooh.....cognitive dissonance. Moving on from "standard deviation"??

And how did you come to this "fair assumption"?? Through some Hoosiers you met in Chicago??

I haven't been to Mars for example - but I know it's red.

It's well known to everyone. Indiana, especially Indianapolis has made some impressive strides, but it's still seen as backwater to most of America. Blame the NASCAR culture, being close to Kentucky, Indiana State Fair, list goes on & on.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I haven't been to Mars for example - but I know it's red.

It's well known to everyone. Indiana, especially Indianapolis has made some impressive strides, but it's still seen as backwater to most of America. Blame the NASCAR culture, being close to Kentucky, Indiana State Fair, list goes on & on.
Now I do have to stop you here. I don't think most people outside of Chicago see Indiana as the backwater to most of America. It isn't like people really say things like, "The South is full of stupid hicks. Oh and Indiana is the same way." People don't look at Indiana the same as Kentucky. I don't even think people look at Indianapolis as being conservative anymore.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Now I do have to stop you here. I don't think most people outside of Chicago see Indiana as the backwater to most of America. It isn't like people really say things like, "The South is full of stupid hicks. Oh and Indiana is the same way." People don't look at Indiana the same as Kentucky. I don't even think people look at Indianapolis as being conservative anymore.
I think it is fair to say people rarely think of Indiana at all unless they are forced.

Fun fact, Parks and Recreation was set in Indiana thanks in part to the fact that nationally, Indiana doesn't elicit any kind of immediate response from people.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think it is fair to say people rarely think of Indiana at all unless they are forced.

Fun fact, Parks and Recreation was set in Indiana thanks in part to the fact that nationally, Indiana doesn't elicit any kind of immediate response from people.
Haha that's true. Kind of sad, but true. I remember hearing during the Super Bowl that most people didn't have an opinion on whether they like Indianapolis or not.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
I don't like to generalize because it's sounds like you're speaking for everyone. It's not like Indy suffered the race riots like Detroit, LA or Birmingham did so no we don't have that kind of history of being the most racially divided place. I grew up with different cultures so no that statement isn't accurate and does not speak for me who is in Indiana or some of the people I know personally. Racism can exist in any race group and any place. Yes, sure you can have racism in Indianapolis just as you can in a bigger city. It's everywhere. You also can find people who don't always have preconceived notions and ignorance about a particular group. Why assume if you don't know "everyone" in Indiana. You need to be a bit more specific.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
A place can have race riots as part of their history - and still be a more culturally integrated place in the future.

Racism can exist in any race group is a popular ideology in the midwest. The ones who have historically had to endure racism, can be just as racist as a KKK Grand Wizard, lol.

Can a minority be racist? Yes (but not nearly to the same extent on a grand scale)

Does it matter? No (besides upsetting people)

It's not like you have majority-black police forces targeting whites in the midwest. The opposite, is true - but they have trouble admitting it. Midwesterners generally are taught from birth to see the world through a rose colored shade, "no one is bad besides notorious criminals/dictators" mentality.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
A place can have race riots as part of their history - and still be a more culturally integrated place in the future.
A lot of the homes and buildings destroyed during the riots of Detroit never recovered. Indy didn't suffer the major set backs that Birmingham and Detroit did. If Detroit and Birmingham are so integrated then why haven't all the people move back to the city from the suburbs in droves. Keep in mind as years have passed over time racism isn't at the level as it once was back then. Times have change. The race relations is much better in those two cities today.

Quote:
Can a minority be racist? Yes (but not nearly to the same extent on a grand scale)
No matter where it comes from racism is racism. The Black Panthers and KKK are racist groups. Sure you will have those groups out there but they don't speak for everyone in the Midwest.

Quote:
It's not like you have majority-black police forces targeting whites in the midwest. The opposite, is true - but they have trouble admitting it. Midwesterners generally are taught from birth to see the world through a rose colored shade, "no one is bad besides notorious criminals/dictators" mentality.
There's no justification for any group to be a racist. We're not living in the 1950's anymore get real. I grew up in Birmingham and can tell you stories about that city. Indy didn't experience anything that extreme. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
A lot of the homes and buildings destroyed during the riots of Detroit never recovered. Indy didn't suffer the major set backs that Birmingham and Detroit did. If Detroit and Birmingham were so integrated then why haven't all the people move back to the city from the suburbs in droves. Keep in mind as years have passed over time racism isn't at the level as it once was back then. Times have change.

Quote:
No matter where it comes from racism is racism. The Black Panthers and KKK are racist groups. Sure you will have those groups out there but they don't speak for everyone in the Midwest.

Quote:
There's no justification for any group to be a racist. We're not living in the 1950's anymore get real. I grew up in Birmingham and can tell you stories about that city. Indy didn't have anything like that. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis