Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,876,944 times

Advertisements

Magnasty,

Glad you were able to help someone from an impoverished background. Hopefully, you went beyond the whole big brother big sister thing. My brother does that in LaPorte and taking some poor kid bowling once a month hardly counts.

I lived in Humboldt Park on the west side of Chicago, an impoverished hispanic and black community, for 4 years and have sponsored several community events, some solely. Now, I choose to focus on just a few kids. It is futile to try to save everyone but if I cherry pick I can at least save a few and really make a difference.

I had forgotten just how much white lower trash is in Indy. In Chicago, we have lower income whites but poverty is way more concentrated amongst hispanics and particularly blacks.

I have never had anyone offer to buy my purchase with a stolen credit card in exchange for cash. Very trashy indeed.

The guy that offered to sell my mother the winning lottery ticket for cash was white, btw.

Southeast Indiana has very few blacks involved in crime, though we do get the occasional person from Indy who try to rip off the Wal Mart cashier by asking for change and whipping thru a bunch of ones really quickly to mess them up. I have seen this done maybe 5 times and it has always been black guys, though this is not to say other races do not try to pull off this scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,498,699 times
Default Great Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
I know I am a little late on responding here.

I love the catch phrases that are prevalent in today's society. I am not totally sure what "ghetto culture" is. It would probably be a safe bet that the closest that many people on this forum have come to a ghetto is on their TV set.

There is an old saying..."While I may be from the ghetto, the ghetto is not in me."

There is a certain mentality that comes with being raised in a poor part of [name that city]. Regardless of race, the circle of poverty is left unbroken by people who know no other life. This is why you have so many repeat offenders, young, unwed mothers and kids with limited education. The challenge for those of us who are more fortunate is to help show people that there is another way of like.

Who here has actually taken the time to mentor someone from a lower socio-economic background? Well, I can proudly say I have. While I was not looking for it, the opportunity came to me and I will consider this opportunity part of my life legacy.

The easiest thing to do is what I used to do. I would look at the situation, criticize it then turn my head and walk away. When I decided that I would put forth some effort to help make a change, it was not only gratifying, but it was a test of my character. I learned a great deal.
Great Post!...To address your uncertainty of what people mean by "ghetto culture" I think that many people equate the "ghetto culture" with the "hip-hop" culture which is most closely adopted by many (not all) African-Americans. However, many people become lazy or downright ignorant with the term and just label any lower-income Black (which mind you, may include black immigrants) and label them as "ghetto". The white "counterpart" to ghetto (I guess) would be "trash".

To answer your question, I personally have mentored children in lower-socio economic situations as well as middle-aged adults. For the children, I took them to plays, parks to play games with peers, and to visit family that they otherwise would rarely be able to see (as I believe that positive familial support is vital to one's success). For the middle-aged adults, I helped them identify the things that would help their children become successful by allowing them to see what has helped me become successful. Not the monetary factors, but the support that I received from my parents, extended family, and schooling. I realize they may not access to as many things as I did, but I teach them the very little things they can do to make a difference (like spending time reading or doing homework with their kids instead of watching T.V., for example). I find it was a very rewarding experience as well, and would encourage anybody (even if it takes them a little bit out of their comfort zone) to try this. It will test one's character, but in the end, it will be worth it!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM

355 posts, read 912,739 times
Do other cities have as many poor/ghetto/trash white people as we have in Indy? Especially on our East side as I can attest to seeing areas around here that seemed to seemlessly transition from black ghetto to white ghetto and having mixed areas in between. East washington/10th street from post road to downtown is an example of this.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
Do other cities have as many poor/ghetto/trash white people as we have in Indy? Especially on our East side as I can attest to seeing areas around here that seemed to seemlessly transition from black ghetto to white ghetto and having mixed areas in between. East washington/10th street from post road to downtown is an example of this.

You don't get out much, do you...

Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 PM

780 posts, read 1,543,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
You don't get out much, do you...
Now that's classic!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Magnasty,

You have to admit there are lots of trashy folks on the east side of Indy. Come on now.

We even used to go to Washington Square mall until the early 90s before it got really bad and the stores got really low end. Now, my folks go to Greenwood, Keystone, Circle Center or Castleton

Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Magnasty,

You have to admit there are lots of trashy folks on the east side of Indy. Come on now.

We even used to go to Washington Square mall until the early 90s before it got really bad and the stores got really low end. Now, my folks go to Greenwood, Keystone, Circle Center or Castleton

Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM

780 posts, read 1,543,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Magnasty,

Trashy, ghetto, country, rednecks.....the issue for me is that I don't get enamored with labels. They tend to be stereotypical, prejudicial and misleading and there is always some idiot who will take these labels to the next level.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Magnasty,

I realize after having lived in Chicago for a few years that Greenwood Mall now looks trashy to me. My girlfirend (mexican) commented she had never seen so many trashy people. It was interesting as there were mixed white and black couples but almost no asians or hispanics that were mixed like we see in Chicago.

Big difference between trashy and country. Big difference.

My dad is a cattle farmer who only wears wranglers and boots. He is most certainly country but not trashy.

There is also no comparison between rednecks and ghetto folks, not even close.

I know lots of rednecks who would give you the shirt of their back if you asked them. Just because someone likes Nascar does not make them bad people.

Ghetto folks are the kind that will actually offer to charge you to dig your car out of snow (we get a lot more snow than indy). These are the same folks who will beg you for money (we get lots of those in downtown Chicago, almost all black though I was hit up by a puerto rican guy today). These are the same folks who will break into your garage to steal to pawn stuff to buy drugs (crystal meth addicts fit this category).

Don't fool yourself, the east and south sides of indy are much worse than the north side as they have been for at least the last 30 years. So we don't make this a race thing, all things being equal (costs) most people would choose carmel or fishers over beech grove. Better schools and better hosuing stock along with just nicer overall.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Magnasty,

I realize after having lived in Chicago for a few years that Greenwood Mall now looks trashy to me. My girlfirend (mexican) commented she had never seen so many trashy people. It was interesting as there were mixed white and black couples but almost no asians or hispanics that were mixed like we see in Chicago.

Big difference between trashy and country. Big difference.

My dad is a cattle farmer who only wears wranglers and boots. He is most certainly country but not trashy.

There is also no comparison between rednecks and ghetto folks, not even close.

I know lots of rednecks who would give you the shirt of their back if you asked them. Just because someone likes Nascar does not make them bad people.

Ghetto folks are the kind that will actually offer to charge you to dig your car out of snow (we get a lot more snow than indy). These are the same folks who will beg you for money (we get lots of those in downtown Chicago, almost all black though I was hit up by a puerto rican guy today). These are the same folks who will break into your garage to steal to pawn stuff to buy drugs (crystal meth addicts fit this category).

Don't fool yourself, the east and south sides of indy are much worse than the north side as they have been for at least the last 30 years. So we don't make this a race thing, all things being equal (costs) most people would choose carmel or fishers over beech grove. Better schools and better hosuing stock along with just nicer overall.
There is also a big difference between someone that lives here and knows what they are talking about, and someone who doesn't live here and preaches to us as though they DO know what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis