Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,163 times

Advertisements

Ive only seen a few instances of racism since living here, which is all my life lol. but most times the person retaliates. I went to Arlington High school about 10 years ago give or take....and it was pretty bad then. Im a white girl, and it was really bad for me. I left after 3 months, cant even say if its any better. But I know of quite a few neighborhoods that are not real fun to walk in, or in the summer even drive through with your windows down. I think that you will find that anywhere you go though, just due to jerks living on this planet. Whats funny is, for school I was researching to find a racism or prejudice problem in my community and I can not find anything in Indy that I can use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 22,996 times
I am from just north of Indy and I have never witnessed anything like this. I am form the younger generation and have heard some pretty crude things before. Thankfully you knew that what was happening was wrong and hurtful. Unfortunatley people in this world believe that they have the right to say things to anyone person on the street and never consider what could happen. Hopefully the woman was okay.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM

355 posts, read 819,485 times
they say it to each other all the time....so the white kids are adapting it too. You can't talk to each other that way and then get offended when someone of another race says the same thing. I was just in Indy last week and enjoyed my visit. I didn't see anything racy, disturbing, or bad period.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM

23 posts, read 65,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoism View Post
In Terre Haute, in a movie theater, they still have racist black signs, of segregation left up on the walls. Of course there is no more legal segregation. But the signs are still there. Why?
He said that blacks get everything second to best. And he said he just felt Indiana was a death trap.
As a Terre Haute resident, I would presume you are talking about Indiana Theatre and its colored section in the very back of the balcony? I don't recall seeing any signs, but you do notice one of those velvet ropes that would have barricaded it on your way in there. It's very rarely filled to even 10% of capacity, as they show movies after the Southside theaters are done with them, so pretty much anyone can get a seat they want in there. Either way, it's of historical value more than anything; it's a beautiful old 1920s era theatre that the owners probably want to mess with as little as possible.

You can unearth racist sentiments among many Hoosiers if you get to know them well enough, but that's pretty normal for most anywhere in the world I'd figure. Generally, there is very little overt disrespect. There is definitely a degree of white and black separation, but this is usually more due to cultural/behavioral differences than any contempt of the "other". I've never noticed any racist incidents when I've been in Indy, but the east side might be different from Broad Ripple/north side that I usually end up in.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,329,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistylillian View Post
Ive only seen a few instances of racism since living here, which is all my life lol. but most times the person retaliates. I went to Arlington High school about 10 years ago give or take....and it was pretty bad then. Im a white girl, and it was really bad for me. I left after 3 months, cant even say if its any better. But I know of quite a few neighborhoods that are not real fun to walk in, or in the summer even drive through with your windows down. I think that you will find that anywhere you go though, just due to jerks living on this planet. Whats funny is, for school I was researching to find a racism or prejudice problem in my community and I can not find anything in Indy that I can use.
your being very vague here...not sure what your saying...are you equating high crime with racism?
Just don't know what your saying here....

Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 PM

423 posts, read 1,249,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I'm not looking to make waves...but have to ask...

I was in Indianapolis last week on business. I stopped at a gas station over on the east side of town. A couple big white dudes staffing the place, mix of black and white patrons.

A nicely dressed black woman came in, and one of these guys says "what's up, [n-word] mama?"...and continues to make really crude comments aloud about "doing her" and throws in more racial statements.

Now...here in North Idaho, which is 99% white and people think that somehow makes us racists, one of us WHITE GUYS still would have slapped that racist piece of trash upside the head....but in this place, the black people just sort of looked down at the floor, and the white people just ignored it. I was speechless....in my life, even having worked in Los Angeles with some pretty strong racially tense situations, I never saw it just tolerated in a daily life setting like this....seeing that it appeared "normal" I was just disgusted and put down my stuff and walked out, holding the door for the woman on her way out.

I would like to think this was just completely a huge anomaly and that people aren't still subjecting people to this type of treatment. Am I right, or am I wrong? Is it truly that bad in Indianapolis?
No.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM

423 posts, read 1,249,703 times
Quote:
I reconnected with my old neighbor from my childhood, he moved to Indianapolis and lived there for almost 2 decades. We are both in our early 30s, both Caucasian, and we were both born in Hayward, California, east bay of San Francisco. In the Hayward city limits, there is a sign that says, No Room for Racism.
I wanted to know all about Indianapolis. He told me about the inside of the circle, and the White Flight, and how the white fled the circle in the 80s, and moved to the suburbs like Carmel, Nobelsville, Fishers, etc...
White flight has taken place in every single city in America. EVERY.

You mention the Bay Area. There's a reason that San Francisco is mostly white and wealthy while Oakland is mostly non-white and poor. Or the difference between Palo Alto and East Palo Alto. Racial segregation there as well. And in Seattle too, though in the Pacific Northwest it is less pronounced, primarily because there are just so few African Americans. Portland is the whitest big city in America, and Seattle isn't too far behind.

The state representative from the central Indiana district (much of Indianapolis) has been African American for quite some time, and is currently a black Muslim. There are many other places in this country with more profound racial issues than Indianapolis.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM

76 posts, read 277,386 times
Just pointing out that the original post is nearly two years old. I'm pretty sure the OP is no longer checking for answers.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 45,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
There are idiot rednecks everywhere.
After re-reading the original post, where did he say they were rednecks?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,196 times
Quote:
I reconnected with my old neighbor from my childhood, he moved to Indianapolis and lived there for almost 2 decades. We are both in our early 30s, both Caucasian, and we were both born in Hayward, California, east bay of San Francisco. In the Hayward city limits, there is a sign that says, No Room for Racism.
I wanted to know all about Indianapolis. He told me about the inside of the circle, and the White Flight, and how the white fled the circle in the 80s, and moved to the suburbs like Carmel, Nobelsville, Fishers, etc...

He said, that they still keep black people down in Indy.
In Terre Haute, in a movie theater, they still have racist black signs, of segregation left up on the walls. Of course there is no more legal segregation. But the signs are still there. Why?
He said that blacks get everything second to best. And he said he just felt Indiana was a death trap.
I realize, he was a bit of a negative guy for many reasons. So I have no opinion, I don't know if it's true or not. I'm posting through the grapevine.
But, Go ahead, and search wikipedia for white flight,
and you will gain some understanding of the history of Indianapolis racism.

There is some tension going on there. It hasn't completely died yet....

I lived in Cali and now in Washington, in the Seattle area,
and Washington is where every race walks hand in hand,
and I have not even heard of any racial issues.
California, is home of the fight for your rights, whoever you may be, woman, man, child, homosexual, vegan, gun advocate, victim, handicap, ethnic majority or minority, etc...
California welcomes debating and resolving issues. Tension is like tennis for Californians. Everyone wants to win!
People are very vocal about issues.
But WA, is very mellow, and they see the Californians as militant, loud, proud fighters!
Washington is more peaceful. But not enough sun...

Anyway,
I personally don't know about Indy, I just relayed what I heard from someone wanting to move out.

There are good and bad parts of everywhere.
Define "they", and how do "they" keep black people down.

Terre Haute is 1.5 hours from Indy.

Your last paragraph oozes a sentiment of how much better you are than Indiana, because you don't live here. Are you that naive?

Just because a neighbor of yours tells you some story about a city in southern Indiana, Indiana is racisit. Since you have not "heard" of racisim in Washington, it does not exisit? Your logic is flawed, but your smugness is up to par!

PS: Maybe you should stop looking at Wiki for your info, and then you might actually understand history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis