Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 AM

548 posts, read 2,016,319 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of coming to Indy with my wife and our 10-month old for a day/overnight trip to Indy. It's my wife's birthday and she was actually born in Indy, so I figured that would be a good idea.

What do you all you experts suggest in regards to an itinerary? Any must-see's or must-do's? With our baby in tow, we may be a bit limited.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
There are a lot of museums(State, Western, Art) of various kinds, the drive up Meridian from about 38th to 58th has a lot of historic mansions.

All kinds of eating places. For a chef owned evening experience, Oakleys Bistro on 86th or RBistro on Mass Ave. Or for good food and a beautifully decorated place, Scholars Inn on Mass Ave. Great for lunch.

If your wife is a shopaholic, I would suggest with a baby, Keystone at the Crossing Mall. Very very upscale, inside, with a Cheesecake Factory, Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware, etc. There is also an art film movie theater there. I think there is a Marriot right next door and a Homewood Suites just down the road. (if you are downtown, the Circle Center Mall is there with a Nordstrums.)

It would be easy to drive from there to Meridian and then straight downtown.

Hard to make suggestions without knowing what your wife likes to do. If she likes walking on a canal, the canal in Broad Ripple is a favorite walk from Broad Ripple to Butler University. It also connects to the Monon Trail.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:47 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
You could also take in the Children's Museum on 30th & Meridian. I started taking my youngest there when he was 12 weeks old ... a 10 month old would have a good time!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:10 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,490 times
It really depends on what interests you.

For me, a perfect day would be breakfast at Le Peeps downtown, followed by a trip to the canal with the rest of the day spent in the State Museum, with possible some time also spent at the Zoo. Dinner then will be at the Old Oaken Barrel in Greenwood.

But, my interest differ from most people.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:10 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
It really depends on what interests you.

For me, a perfect day would be breakfast at Le Peeps downtown, followed by a trip to the canal with the rest of the day spent in the State Museum, with possible some time also spent at the Zoo. Dinner then will be at the Old Oaken Barrel in Greenwood.

But, my interest differ from most people.
sounds interesting. Tell me about Le Peeps.

Also, is the canal truly an all-day event?

Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 PM

79 posts, read 461,748 times
Le Peeps is pretty good breakfast.. I go to the downtown location at least once a month.

I wouldn't spend more than a 4 hours at the canal area.. There is the state museum and the eitlejorg as well as white river state park.. also accessible is the zoo. At the North end there isn't much, not sure if Bugg's Temple will be open (ice cream, restaurants). It's very peaceful and there are some nice fountains, but the canal really hasn't developed as much as it should.. There should be more shops/cafe type places.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Is the canal itself an all day affair? No, not at all. However, there are two different museums attached to it, and it's a VERY short walk over to the Zoo.

Plus on the canal is the memorial to the recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor on one end, while on the other is a memorial for the USS Indianapolis.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 PM

53 posts, read 350,699 times
If you're really into history and stuff the State Museum and the Eiteljorg (cowboys and Indians) would be interesting, if not, then you will be underwhelmed. The Children's Museum is boring for adults and I think your baby would be too young to get much from it. Not to be a party pooper.

If you are into shopping, Keystone is a great place. There's hotels and restaurants around ther (Keystone and 86th).

Definitely find some non-chain places to eat...there's a Le Peeps north too. Look up Cafe Patachou, there's 3 of them, worth the trip for breakfast.

My perfect day following b-fast at Patachou would include...

Outdoors - Holcomb Gardens at Butler - but it may be too hot to be outdoors for long with the wee one.

Broad Ripple - shops, bars, strange people.

And the best museum in the city, the racing museum at the Indy 500 !

Old 07-10-2007, 05:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Hold it ... Playscape is for babies. And I don't know, I always have a great time at the Children's Museum. Scienceworks, Dinosphere. Especially for someone whose never been, I think a good time would be had by all.

Party pooper-doody-head

Old 07-10-2007, 07:37 AM

I have to agree that as an adult I've always enjoyed the Children's Museum.

Disclaimer: I have a history degree and once I graduated I was going find work at a museum until I found out how much they made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis