Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 20,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
The life expectancy rate for Blacks is six years shorter than that of Whites
The Whites' fault, again?
The most common cause of death for a young black male is another young black male, have you ever heard this bitter joke?
Blame ghetto culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 AM

369 posts, read 682,445 times
Quote:
The federal government defines welfare as all entitlement programs funded through taxes. These programs, listed as "direct benefit payments for individuals" by the Office of Management and Budget. Social Security is the nation's largest welfare program, although many Whites prefer to call it a retirement plan. The government writes retirement and disability benefit checks to 35.4 million recipients of whom 88.7 percent are White and 9.6 percent are Black. White don't make up 88.7 percent of the population. The reason behind this shocking disparity is perhaps the most lamentable of all: The life expectancy rate for Blacks is six years shorter than that of Whites, meaning Black workers spend years paying into a retirement system only to have White retirees reap the benefits for a longer time. And lets not talk about corporate welfare.
And of those blacks who are paying into social security, how many are on other welfare programs? What is the racial breakdown of those programs? Of these working blacks who have kids, are their kids school getting more money per child than the public school of the kids the white folks have/had?

If you're going to argue racial disparity of welfare programs, that is an all or nothing deal. You can't argue racial disparity of one welfare program and claim "how unfair" without looking at other welfare programs that also may have similar racial disparity. Of course if one wants to only paint one part of the picture, then obviously they do need to only use those stats that back their side.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,914,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 098qwerty View Post
The Whites' fault, again?
The most common cause of death for a young black male is another young black male, have you ever heard this bitter joke?
Blame ghetto culture.
Did you know that the leading cause of death for a young white males is suicide at the rate of 19.5 per 100,000 as oppose to suicide for black males at the rate of 9.3 per 100,000. Do you blame that unfortunate statistics on ghetto white culture or is it just a lack of coping skills? Or how about white women making up the majority of women in custody and that between 2003-2007 there was a 51% incarceration spike in that same demographic. Crime gene or white ghetto culture? The point here is you can put a spin on anything.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,914,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
And of those blacks who are paying into social security, how many are on other welfare programs? What is the racial breakdown of those programs? Of these working blacks who have kids, are their kids school getting more money per child than the public school of the kids the white folks have/had?

If you're going to argue racial disparity of welfare programs, that is an all or nothing deal. You can't argue racial disparity of one welfare program and claim "how unfair" without looking at other welfare programs that also may have similar racial disparity. Of course if one wants to only paint one part of the picture, then obviously they do need to only use those stats that back their side.
Did you ask the poster who said blacks are on welfare at a higher per capita rate than whites to supply supporting documentation? It was obvious that poster didn't think it was fair. The poster was arguing racial disparity but I don't see you wrapping a burden of proof milstone around his neck. If one person can paint one side why can't someone else paint another side?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM

261 posts, read 501,529 times
Quote:
Did you know that the leading cause of death for a young white males is suicide at the rate of 19.5 per 100,000 as oppose to suicide for black males at the rate of 9.3 per 100,000. Do you blame that unfortunate statistics on ghetto white culture or is it just a lack of coping skills? Or how about white women making up the majority of women in custody and that between 2003-2007 there was a 51% incarceration spike in that same demographic. Crime gene or white ghetto culture? The point here is you can put a spin on anything.

Yes, whites have issues as well. You're probably right that lack of coping skills is the reason whites have higher suicide rates. For whatever reason, white seem to have a more difficult time of coping with their own personal troubles than blacks.

But it really worthwhile to pint out that white women make up the majority of women and custody? White women obviously make up the majority of women in the US so they logically should make up the majority in any statistics like that. A stat like that is only worth pointing out when it represents a statistical oddity.

And I'm not sure how how pointing out that "ghetto culture" is responsible at least in part for the high homicide rates of young black males is putting a "spin" on anything.

Blacks make up 25% of Indy's population yet account for 2/3 of it's murder victims this year and every other year. Nationally, 93% of murdered blacks are killed by other blacks, and I'd say that number is closer to 100% in Indy judging by the local news.

There has to be some reason why blacks account for majority of murder victims in large cities while making up a relatively small percentage of the population. I'd say looking at the culture in some African American communities is a good place to start if you're seeking the explanation. I think it's pretty oblivious to not recognize that culture is at least somewhat responsible for that troubling statistic.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM

102 posts, read 143,581 times
There is a ton of racism coming from Blacks toward Whites (and Mexicans) here in Indianapolis, that I do know. And Blacks are becoming more and more aggressive with their stances in that direction by the day here.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM

102 posts, read 143,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I had forgotten just how much white lower trash is in Indy.
Gee, how pleasant you are. Stupid racist.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,520,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBeano View Post
Gee, how pleasant you are. Stupid racist.
speaking of yourself. Stop trolling our forums and take your racist crap somewhere else.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM

25 posts, read 46,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
White flight has taken place in every single city in America. EVERY.

You mention the Bay Area. There's a reason that San Francisco is mostly white and wealthy while Oakland is mostly non-white and poor. Or the difference between Palo Alto and East Palo Alto. Racial segregation there as well. And in Seattle too, though in the Pacific Northwest it is less pronounced, primarily because there are just so few African Americans. Portland is the whitest big city in America, and Seattle isn't too far behind.

The state representative from the central Indiana district (much of Indianapolis) has been African American for quite some time, and is currently a black Muslim. There are many other places in this country with more profound racial issues than Indianapolis.
I have to agree with this. South Carolina, my home state, is a prime example. Racism still exists there, strongly I may add.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:07 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
To all people in Chicago, just be quiet. You all live in one of the most racist and segregated big cities in the country so don't even get off trying to talk bad about Indianapolis. Chicago is perceived as one of the most diverse cities in the country, but that doesn't mean that all of the races live near each other. I am not saying Indianapolis is less segregated than Chicago, but for the 3rd biggest city in the country, Chicago should be way better than Indianapolis.
I recently moved to Chicago a few months ago from Indianapolis.

Up until then I had never lived outside of central Indiana.

Here's a thought I've had: Mass public transportation would *probably* not work in Indy.

I can't imagine standard Zionsville, Carmel, Fishers residents taking public transportation through the "bad parts" of the city with the "bad crowd". They would rather stay in their cars and deal with the hour long commute in heavy traffic.

And to further add to this thought I have in-laws who live in Noblesville. A couple years ago we moved back into the city and the in-laws were giving advice on where to live. They stated, "You don't want to live anywhere south of 96th street. North of 106th would be better."

Really? I used to live very, very close to Washington and Belmont. I think barring living somewhere LESS than 9 miles north of Washingtons street is a little.... excessive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis