Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Even in your own neighborhood? I certainly don't recognize every driver I pass in my neighborhood (and many of them are visitors rather than neighbors), but I do what I consider the "neighborly" thing and wave. Now, out on other roads, no. I'm too busy driving and keeping my eyes on the road.
You didn't ask me, but.................I don't wave at people I don't know, and I think its weird when people I don't know wave at me. When I lived in Kentucky, people waved at me all the time. I thought it was strange and still do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM

613 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliJ523 View Post
I mean absolute no disrespect to people who are from Indiana or who enjoy living here, but I have to admit that the time I've lived here, I've been the most unhappiest. The people are just not what I'm used to - they're very cliquish and standoffish. We've lived here for many years and still only know a few people - ironically, the people we do know are from out of state as well.

I got used to the land being so flat and seeing cornfields everywhere I went, but it doesn't feel like home - it feels more like a prison. I'm perplexed because I've been to neighboring states (OH, IL and MI) and don't get the same vibe as in Indy.

I'm posting out of frustration. I do want to enjoy my time here, and I have tried. Anyone else experience this?
It's a very odd state, IMO. The only people I've ever known who "love it" are from there, & pretty much stayed there. And it can Definitely be "culture shock" for people from elsewhere. Last few times I went back to Indianapolis, after living all over, East Coast, FL, etc, I was bored to tears, but people I knew who lived around there were raving about how great Indianapolis had become.

And with all due respect, yeah, some of the people can seem odd there, to people from elsewhere. Not sure if I'd call it standoffish, or what, maybe insular would be an apt term. I'm from Indiana tho, & have very mixed feelings; some good memories as a kid, & some of the people there can be incredibly loyal to old friends. But the OP isn't from Indiana, so......

Last edited by WoodyWW; 05-10-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
If I know the face from the neighborhood, I'll give a nod and a smile, but out and about? No way ...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM

486 posts, read 982,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliJ523 View Post

Where I'm from, if you make eye contact with someone you don't know, you smile and acknowledge that person. Here if you make eye contact with someone, he/she just glares back. It's eerie.
I'm originally from Ohio but I have been living in Georgia. I had forgotten that people up north don't speak to each other. They actually think that you are weird if you speak and they don't know you... I am in the process of relocating to Indiana and I just told my friend today about people just staring and not speaking...lol

Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,663,393 times
Wow, good luck in Texas.

I lived there and it is not what it is cracked up to be.

Although I am from Indiana, I am not a cheerleader. My wife is actually from another, more "cosmopolitan" state, and she is the Indiana cheerleader.

Look, it is what it is.

Indiana has a decent big city, some decent small towns, and a very cheap cost of living. It is in a great location if you want to drive to other destinations.

I hope you don't want to travel if you move to a more expensive city like Dallas or Houston. Anyone in Indianapolis can get a comparable house and have money left over to fly to Paris, Rome, or Tokyo, while you are just paying your mortgage for your comparable boring house in Dallas or Houston.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
I am a native Hoosier (south side of Indianapolis) who moved away in their late 20s, lived in Wisconsin, San Francisco (San Bruno/Montara), Boston and Florida. I have traveled and worked on six continents and in roughly 70 some odd countries. I returned to Indianapolis a few years ago for a job.

I was hoping that things had progressed since I left in the late 80s. Sadly, I found that they had not. At least not amongst the people and friends I found when I returned. Granted, we're talking about native Hoosiers, many of which lived in rural areas surrounding Indianapolis.

Indianapolis as a city had made great strides and I feel was far move vibrant and livable than it was when I left, but the mentality, mindset and general culture of the natives didn't seem to have moved forward as fast as the city itself had.

There are certainly bastions of culture and forward thinking in places like Carmel and Fishers, and certainly other parts of the area, but much of what I felt and experienced was little changed from when I had left, some 20+ years ago.

I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there.

I'm not saying Indianapolis is a bad place by any stretch of the imagination, as there are still many redeeming qualities. Sadly, none of them were major draws for me. It took me two long years before I was able to bail.

And I do miss Noble Roman's deep dish sicilian pizza. Jet's is about the closest thing I can find.

RM

Old 05-12-2013, 06:42 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And I do miss Noble Roman's deep dish sicilian pizza. Jet's is about the closest thing I can find.

RM
There was still at least one Noble Roman's when I was visiting Indy sometime last year. I think it was on SR37 on the northeast side. I had been bragging about their deep dish sicilian pizza to my husband for YEARS!!! (he liked it, but he's partial to his Chicago pizzerias)

Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
There was still at least one Noble Roman's when I was visiting Indy sometime last year. I think it was on SR37 on the northeast side. I had been bragging about their deep dish sicilian pizza to my husband for YEARS!!! (he liked it, but he's partial to his Chicago pizzerias)
I lived in Avon, so I was going to the one at 10th and Girl's School Road right by Ben Davis HS. It was like stepping into a time warp when I moved back - I lived on the westside not long before I left in the late 80s, and I swear that little has changed in that Noble Roman's since.

Weird, really weird.

RM

Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM

23 posts, read 77,618 times
Indiana is America's eyesore. It's not a fun state. I think if you are past 50, you are probably just staying in Indiana for the rest of your life and have accepted it by now. The ONLY people I know that like Indiana are lifers. A lot of them(the younger ones) are extremely cocky and think they are better then everyone. My guess is its because that's the only thing keeping them from going over the edge.

My biggest 2 complaints about Indiana are the people and the weather. Being that I used to live in the south and that's where all my family is, it's a big shock how rude people are in Indiana(Most the people in Bloomington are nice due to its "south" culture) and how crappy the weather is. It can snow and be in the 80's within 24 hours of each other. No joke. Sometimes in a 7 day time period you will spend 3 1/2 days running the AC and 3 1/2 days running the heat. I'm not kidding. It's ridiculous.

Now, I will say, if I was forced to stay in Indiana due to family or a great job I would only do it if it was in Bloomington or a suburb of Indianapolis.(Noblesville or Carmel would be my choices). I am moving out of Indiana in a few weeks and I doubt I will ever come back to visit ever again but I really will miss Bloomington somedays. It really is a good place to be(for Indiana).

Also, keep in mind Indiana operates just like the good ole' USA in general...the farther South you go the nicer the people. (North of Indy=rude, stuck-up, etc.) (South of Indy=down to earth)

Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,541,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstate16 View Post
Indiana is America's eyesore. It's not a fun state. I think if you are past 50, you are probably just staying in Indiana for the rest of your life and have accepted it by now. The ONLY people I know that like Indiana are lifers. A lot of them(the younger ones) are extremely cocky and think they are better then everyone. My guess is its because that's the only thing keeping them from going over the edge.

My biggest 2 complaints about Indiana are the people and the weather. Being that I used to live in the south and that's where all my family is, it's a big shock how rude people are in Indiana(Most the people in Bloomington are nice due to its "south" culture) and how crappy the weather is. It can snow and be in the 80's within 24 hours of each other. No joke. Sometimes in a 7 day time period you will spend 3 1/2 days running the AC and 3 1/2 days running the heat. I'm not kidding. It's ridiculous.

Now, I will say, if I was forced to stay in Indiana due to family or a great job I would only do it if it was in Bloomington or a suburb of Indianapolis.(Noblesville or Carmel would be my choices). I am moving out of Indiana in a few weeks and I doubt I will ever come back to visit ever again but I really will miss Bloomington somedays. It really is a good place to be(for Indiana).

Also, keep in mind Indiana operates just like the good ole' USA in general...the farther South you go the nicer the people. (North of Indy=rude, stuck-up, etc.) (South of Indy=down to earth)
Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis