Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 PM

164 posts, read 322,447 times

Advertisements

[quote=AliJ523;29490265]I mean absolute no disrespect to people who are from Indiana or who enjoy living here, but I have to admit that the time I've lived here, I've been the most unhappiest. The people are just not what I'm used to - they're very cliquish and standoffish. We've lived here for many years and still only know a few people - ironically, the people we do know are from out of state as well.

I got used to the land being so flat and seeing cornfields everywhere I went, but it doesn't feel like home - it feels more like a prison. I'm perplexed because I've been to neighboring states (OH, IL and MI) and don't get the same vibe as in Indy.

Where I'm from, if you make eye contact with someone you don't know, you smile and acknowledge that person. Here if you make eye contact with someone, he/she just glares back. It's eerie.

My husband is being transferred to TX within the next 2 years and will be happy to move. I won't have any desire to ever come back or will I miss anything about Indiana. Again, not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to understand why things are the way they are

Also, the food is very bland here. I don't understand why they cut their pizza in little squares and not slices - I had never seen that before!!

I'm posting out of frustration. I do want to enjoy my time here, and I have tried. Anyone else experience this?[/QUOTE

Indiana and Iowa are very similar, I live in Iowa and I feel exactly the way you do! Where are you from originally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
i find it interesting that a poster that often defends the resident, immature hs student now finds it appropriate to attack one.
+1

Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM

271 posts, read 458,450 times
meh, after all its Indiana, I love it but at the same time I find it boring so I don't live here imaging my self in California, I just learn to appreciate what I have now instead of just thinking how bad the place I am in.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulfate View Post

Not exactly sure how my living situation correlates to my understanding of culture, but thats beside the point.

Now, I want you to explain the cultural characteristics that Indiana posses, or that the least, shares. You clearly feel very strongly about Indiana culture, seeing as how you launched a personal attack on me.
It's not your living situation. It's your age and lack of life experience.

Is it important that Indiana have a unique culture, as opposed to being viewed within the larger Midwest fabric?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Somewhere else can be very exciting when viewed from the outside. However, they can be much more fast paced, expensive, and limiting in their own way.

As a young person, my dream was to live overseas, anywhere. As I got older and learned more, I was not so in love with overseas. In fact, California and places like NYC are as different to me now as overseas was then.

Indiana has the peace that many find wonderful. Our lives are not lived at a spaceship speed which can also be pretty nice. Our traffic is generally nonexistent. I could, if necessary, easily live on a very low income and still have an enjoyable life.

Yes, there are things to miss like surfing in CA, going to the theater every night like in NYC, the weather in Southern CA. But without the money to enjoy them as "regular life", it gets old fast.

However, I would not keep the young from trying their wings and moving almost anywhere. If it does not work out, they can move somewhere else.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Hmmmmmm, pizza slices+lack of eye contact+bland food=Indiana sucks.

Trust me, I am truly sorry that Indiana isn't working for you. I'm not sure where you are currently residing, but your complaints about Indiana are mine as well, but I don't write off the entire state as a result. I'm not sure what your expectations were to begin with. Indiana is a provincial kind of place and I'm glad that I put a certain someone in timeout for 10 days to save you the wrath.

I've lived in a few places in the state and you can't heap all of Indiana based on one place you have lived. There are squirrelly people everywhere that won't look you in the eye or say hello if you give a nod and a smile. I found that to be true when we lived in the burbs of Indy. Total opposite here in Columbus.

We found a good pizza place and the bland food is great for my waistline and I stopped complaining and cook more.

I hope Texas works for you, I really do. Nobody should go through life being miserable in the place they live.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:34 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
The eye contact point reminds me of a conversation my ex (a Hoosier native) had with a local when we lived in Arkansas:

Local: "I drove through Indiana once. People were kinda rude. I would wave as I drove by but people didn't wave back."

Ex: "Why do you wave at people you don't know?"

Different perspectives.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
if someone I don't know waves at me, I think they need help.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
if someone I don't know waves at me, I think they need help.
Even in your own neighborhood? I certainly don't recognize every driver I pass in my neighborhood (and many of them are visitors rather than neighbors), but I do what I consider the "neighborly" thing and wave. Now, out on other roads, no. I'm too busy driving and keeping my eyes on the road.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
[quote=msamhunter;29495147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulfate View Post

Guess what, you are in high school under mommy. You don't know jack. I know teenagers think they know everything, the whole 15 going on 45. The remaining portion of your post doesn't make a lick of sense.
Agreed 100%, would rep but it says I need to spread the points around still.

And to the OP, how long have you lived in Indiana? Where did you originally come from? I don't see how you don't get the same vibe in Ohio and Illinois especially, predominantly cornfields, just like Indiana. Michigan doesn't have as many cornfields though.

There are FAR worse places you could be than Indiana. I don't understand how complaining that all the places cut the pizzas into squares is a source to make you unhappy...there are plenty of places who slize the pizza into eights, the traditional way. I'm not sure what side of town you're living on where everyone glares at you, most out of state people comment on how friendly midwest and especially Indiana people are.

I'm not overly familiar with Texas, besides the usual stereotypes, but it does seem to be one of the fastest growing states in the country with many exploding cities, perhaps you'll find more out of state people there you can relate with and finally be satisfied.

Somehow, part of me suspects you will miss parts of Indiana after you've been in Texas for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis