Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty71 View Post
I am a recent transplant to Indiana (Indianapolis) from Southern California (native Angeleno). I came here for matters of the heart. Also, my guy was not interested in moving to Los Angeles and getting into the rat race back home.

I must say I am surprised to be here. This is not any place (Indiana; the mid-west) that has ever been on my radar.

Although, it is 500 times slower here and things are kind of ass-backward- I intend on getting involved and making a good time for myself, while we are here for the next year and a half. Also, I am finally working (finding a full-time job in retail job took about four months and the pay is shocking low for where I came from
I moved here for a job. I have found people here to be the meanest, cutthroat people I've ever encountered, despite all their churches on every corner.
When I started my job, I was very surprised. I don't expect to be best friends with my coworkers, but being polite and professional is the rule, as far as I am concerned. I was excluded, and still am, from department parties, etc., even when they happen on company time, as I am not considered a "real employee" during my year probation on the job.
I go about my business and do my job, but I am really surprised at the territorial and parochial thinking here. It is a big world, and everyone doesn't do things the way they do them in Podunk, Indiana.
I can't wait to move. I am not of the mindset here, and I will find my place in life. Good luck to you too...I bet it was hard to leave LA.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
I hate Indiana and I've been here longer than expected. As soon as opportunities come my way I am going to high tail it out of here. There's nothing positive here. And nothing to do here. Sure I would rate it better than some other states but Indiana does nothing for me. I don't care for the people here either.
You sound exactly like me. I came here with good intentions and have met some of the meanest, mostly the women, people here on earth. Unreasonable bosses and cutthroats.
So much for the bible belt, or maybe, that is what the bible belt is?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:38 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
You sound exactly like me. I came here with good intentions and have met some of the meanest, mostly the women, people here on earth. Unreasonable bosses and cutthroats.
So much for the bible belt, or maybe, that is what the bible belt is?
100% agreed.

I've worked in Birmingham Alabama and Los Angeles California, but I've lived and worked in Indiana most my life. Just like anywhere you will have rude people, but there is an over abundance of them in Indiana. If a guy here drives a BMW he automatically thinks he prime time. I miss Cali and we actually take lease of our apartment in West Hollywood on March 1st. Yes people in L.A. can be big headed but you are in a city where that's to be expected, it's the entertainment capital after all. Hoosiers that act all big time are just laughable. This area will never be anything but the midwest. The mindset never changes, never evolves.
Any of you notice how cashiers very rarely say thanks or make eye contact???? They are too busy moping about their crappy job and wallowing in the depressing weather. I know that feeling though. But if I'm in customer service I have to show appreciation to the customer, they sign my check. Very rude people.

And god forbide you look "different", flashback the Salem Witch Trials?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,284 times
Amen to Jakehorror. I am total agreement with you. I'm outta here as fast as I can when that time comes. In the meantime, I'll keep popping some depression pills in hopes to pass time. Good luck and happiness to you. Makes me happy knowing someone has seen life outside of this blackhole.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
I don't know where you guys live or lived in Indiana that you would talk about nasty women, cutthroats, unreasonable bosses, rude cashiers without eye contact, looking different being a problem, a blackhole, "salem witch trials?"!...etc... I'd like it if you mention the town or towns you're referring to when you provide such critism because I'll stay away from them LOL! Not to mention that you could have similar generic-sounding experiences, anywhere!

Here in Fort Wayne I haven't seen problems like which you describe... sure the people working at Wal-mart seem pretty unhappy most of the time (but that is all over the country and nearly any Wal-mart - LOL, I wish Wal-mart would treat their employees better to help change this problem) but most of my customer service experiences have been way above average in Indiana. Even the really tiny small towns I've been to with my family when out exploring new areas had friendly people who wanted to chat with us. For poor customer service or rude people, or perhaps just to set a benchmark for reasonable expectations... visit Westchester NY... or Miami FL. You'll be lucky to get someone who can communicate in English and even if they can you will certainly not get smiles nor casual conversation from most workers. Perhaps other areas of Indiana really have problems as you've described... I thankfully haven't seen anything like what you've described around here.

Part of me hates to read so much negativity about my home state on a sub-forum like this geared towards people looking to potentially relocate to Indiana. Another part of me acknowledges that if it was true for me I might have been the first to say this place sucks and tell the world about it and then I would definitely leave (Fort Wayne is not close to other family of myself nor my wife --- there, that's my serious critism for Indiana)... but I've simply not seen what everyone has been describing. The friends and family who have visited us typically compare Fort Wayne to where they are from quite favorably and indeed I know in just a year a few of them will relocate out here.

I hope readers of a thread like this realize there is a natural human tendency to complain more loudly than to praise.. I think it is a ignorant thread started by someone who was leaving Indiana and who just had a lot of angst to vent. There was no altruistic reason for starting up a thread like this and the vast majority of the issues repeatedly expressed have been from people who haven't explained their points of view, background, nor even the specific area applicable.

Indiana is a huge state... you cannot even describe the weather in general terms since Southbend's weather vs that of Southern Indiana's is completely different! You certainly cannot describe the state's economics and culture in general terms either... rural to urban you get quite different job situations and people. I'm looking outside right now and it is bright and sunny and it's NE Indiana on November 7!... now I think that's not depressing folks... if you do then well good luck finding happiness wherever your travels lead you.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Wow, Jake, Neb & Wyatt should all get together before Jake leaves for California! I'm not being smug about that comment either. I remember when I left Indiana for Chicago, I was absolutely miserable for the first year. I was lonely, knew nobody, wasn't making any connections to anyone. It seemed like everyone's "friend cards" were full. I found that I didn't fit in because I was new. Everyone at work was either a native or had been there for longer than I. If I did get an invite, I was usually not included in conversation, I felt so incredibly inferior ... I guess what made me stick it out was the fact that Chicago was THE city I wanted to be in since I was 12 years old. I went out to eat alone, I biked the lakefront alone, went to the beach alone, but I was in the city I loved and that got me through. Then all of a sudden, I found a group of people that I will be forever greatful to for taking this lonley little hoosier girl under their wings and making me feel like a true Chicagoan. The next 8 years were the best of my life (pre children).

I guess my point is that there are at least 3 people on this thread who have made a common connection. Go with it guys/gals. And by all means, if you don't like it here, wow man, life's too short to be miserable living in a city/state that you hate. Find your bliss. I understand some of your comments about this state. To be honest, I felt the same dang way in my "yute". I always felt like this state is great if:

1. You love having your family close by
2. You have kids or family that you can do things with

But if you moved here not knowing anyone, believe me, I know that it's like chipping away at Indiana limestone trying to get anyone to be nice sometimes. I'm sorry. I always make it a point to make any newcomers feel welcome here because I know what it's like!

I grew up in a clannish small town in northern Indiana, the daughter of someone from out of town and an immigrant ... talk about not being accepted!!! My entire family was never accepted by that town. I went through the small school system from kindergarten through 12th grade and I had people asking me during my senior year when I moved into town! See why I bolted for Chicago as soon as I got myself "edgicated?"

Ok, I've rambled. You three take care. I can tell you that the issues you have are not Indiana specific. Jake, you take West Hollywood by storm ok? The weather alone will make any jerks you will encounter a little more fathomable. Neb & Wyatt ... hang in there ok? We're here.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Hoosier Daddy?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 AM

Thanks Domurgurl! And everyone else! Like I said before, this state is great for family oriented and country type living. But we just need a change and the weather honestly plays a big role in our decision to move also. I live in Elkhart Indiana.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,284 times
South Bend. Need I say more.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
South Bend. Need I say more.
I'm about 20 miles East of you buddy. Just know your suffering is not alone We'll all make it outta here soon! I keep telling myself "this is it, my last winter and no more snow ever!" I tell myself this every morning. Seems to help me stay positive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana