Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times

Advertisements

Valpo is the Harvard of the midwest? Wha-choo talkin' 'bout willis? I can think of better Harvards of the midwest ... hmmm .. Notre Dame? U of Chicago? Northwestern? Michigan?

Don't get me wrong, I used to teach at Valpo ... it's a good school for the area, but it 'taint no Harvard.

But I do have to give you the big thumbs up for your comment about how this state snubs the region. It's treated like the ugly stepchild of this state. When I lived there, I wished that Mayor Daley would invade and just take over.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:05 PM

799 posts, read 2,170,402 times
Default Love Indiana but bad for single life

Indiana is a comfortable place to live.
But this place is not good if you are older and single.
Marriage is an obsession here.
There must not be any older single men, because I haven't seen any.
Or they are hermits and live in caves. Or, they don't like women. Who knows.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM

131 posts, read 648,834 times
Default Living in Indiana

Folks, I moved to Indianapolis, Indiana on September 3, 2002 after having resided in the Baltimore, Maryland area for over 12 years (I grew up in Eastern PA and moved to Baltimore a few months after getting out of the Army). I had previously visited Indy a couple of times, and finally decided to take the plunge and move to the hoosier state. My intention was to build a better life for myself in Indy, after having lost my job thru no fault of my own back in the Baltimore metro area in July 2002. Well, here I am nearly five years later and I am just about ready to get out of Indy. Don't get me wrong folks, I have nothing against Indy and hoosiers. Indy is a nice place and unlike BALTIMORE CITY, it is a comparatively safe place to live. I have never had any problems here regarding crime, and if I had kids I would rather raise them here than in Baltimore, Philly, Boston or NYC.

I am planning to get out of here simply because I am getting tired of getting poked in the rear end by the fickle finger of fate. Over the last 34 months, I have experienced many setbacks, mostly job related. Thru no fault of my own I have been laid off (again), passed over for employment and regular positions by various employers despite my strong work ethic. It has worn me down to the point where I am nearly broke and nine thousand bucks in debt. Five years ago, when I decided to leave Maryland for Indiana I had no way of knowing that my decision to move to Indy would turn out to be the wrong one to make. I TOOK A RISK AND IT JUST DIDN'T WORK OUT, and the most significant thing that has happened to me over the last 12 months alone was BEING DIAGNOSED WITH GLAUCOMA. I also had a serious bout with depression after being yet again dumped by an employer (I did not find out about it until after I reported for work on July 3rd of last year).

This could have happened to me anywhere. Sometimes, I think that I would have been better off had I remained in Maryland. Sorry for making this sound like a downer. To those of you who are considering moving to Indy, I sincerely hope that the grass is much greener for you than it has been for me. In my case, the grass has burned up under a hot sun, along with my prospects in this town. I am thinking about going South, possibly down to Tennessee or possibly even Alabama. There is nothing for me here, and I am not going back to Maryland.

I am just being honest folks, and I sure as heck am not feeling sorry for myself. I have no time for wallowing in my own slop, and I am ultimately going to win the war, even though I have been whipped in quite a few battles in hoosierland. In closing, I don't hate Indy, or Indiana but am planning to get out of here ASAP.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:10 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,067,294 times
Rikrich - bad about your luck and experiences... wish you best in the future, wherever you may travel.

Curious if you wouldn't mind couple questions: what line of work were you in Indy? Sounds like, as you said, its not a matter of Indy or Indiana per se, but bad fate while in Indy... with that said, has there been any positives that you experienced while there?

If ya do head to TN or 'bama, might look at the Chattanooga area - I was there for a few years, loved it. But,,, don't know if something there in your line of work.

ps: I understand and know how fate grins her smile as she points this way and that... I wouldn't have moved 5 times if not for her ways too.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Rikrich - bad about your luck and experiences... wish you best in the future, wherever you may travel.

Curious if you wouldn't mind couple questions: what line of work were you in Indy? Sounds like, as you said, its not a matter of Indy or Indiana per se, but bad fate while in Indy... with that said, has there been any positives that you experienced while there?

If ya do head to TN or 'bama, might look at the Chattanooga area - I was there for a few years, loved it. But,,, don't know if something there in your line of work.

ps: I understand and know how fate grins her smile as she points this way and that... I wouldn't have moved 5 times if not for her ways too.
Hi, thanks for the reply. The work I have done is mostly clerical related-handling mail and filing. I also worked in Broadcasting briefly back in the mid eighties. I actually worked in such a capacity for the State of Indiana (Through a temp agency). Although there was talk of keeping me on as a permenent employee, it was just talk. As for the other work I did, it was just that-work. Light industrial related, mostly maintenance. After a certain period of time, I was let go through no fault of my own because I was deemed expendable-Hard work and strong work ethic be damned! You see, I am paying the price for not having made better decisions throughout the course of my life. Although I have a Bachelors degree, it means nothing, nor does my status as an honorably discharged veteran of the regular Army. I did not earn a graduate degree or a law degree simply because I lacked a strong level of self-confidence. This has plagued me throughout my life, and I turned 50 in March (Most folks say I look younger). In a nutshell, my skills are hardly in big demand, despite my ability and hard work ethic. What this boils down to is one hell of a mid life crisis that I would not wish on anyone. Hope I answered your question, and I apologize for rambling.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Life in Indy

The positives I have experienced in Indy. A nice, safe place to live. The locals here think the crime is bad, but believe me this city is ALOT SAFER THAN BALTIMORE (I lived there for over 12 yrs). As for the people here, people are people based on my life experience. There are good people here, and not so nice people here. But then again, I have only met a few people out here(aside from people i worked with) because I am A DIE HARD INTROVERT. The drivers are for the most part very polite, unlike the ones in Baltimore and UPSTATE NEW YORK.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,067,294 times
Rikrich - if came across as if prying/nosy, was not the intent, just curious about who, what, why, where, when,,, durn engineering trait I have. As to fate and future, sounds at least that you have a good overall positive attitude, considering all, plus a desire to work hard. Don't give up - and keep fighting, and resting every once in awhile to enjoy and/or lick wounds!

ps: check your PM...

Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times
Hang in there rk ... you may be surprised that someone here may be able to help you out. In the meantime, we'll do what we can ok? We've had a hard run ourselves. 2 of the companies my husband worked for either were bought out or bankrupt. It can be tough all over. Take care of you.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM

436 posts, read 1,349,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Come up to Indy....We're here...We'll show you a good time. Just remember, the grass is always greener on the other side. I've been to Dallas area and I hated it. It's way too big, too hot and just wierd. Not to mention, you're stuck watching the Cowboys!! YUK......... Go Redskins!!!!!
X-Greensboro,
You've lived in the Dallas area or you've been to the Dallas area? What, did you connect through DFW? Is that how you decided you didn't like Dallas? Wierd (sic) -- do you know what (sic) means if you can't even spell weird? What's weird about Dallas? We're really a fairly conservative city which isn't traditionally thought of as weird. What, too many stores, restaurants, churches, parks, schools, museums and professional sports teams for you?

Indy is fine. My sister has lived there for 10+ years. I visit 1-2 times a year yet I can honestly say that I couldn't judge an entire city based on 4-5 days per year. I do like visiting Indy. I root for the Colts and did even when they sucked in the 90's. I could probably find things I don't like about the city if I was pressed. Why bother? You sound like someone who instead of bragging about his school would rather knock another school. Very mature and what good sportsmanship!

DFW is big because it's two cities with many suburbs in between. It may not be for everyone. Have you ever noticed that there is no perfect place? Perhaps it's what you make of it. There are certainly people who live in places considered non-desirable by the general public but it may be a desirable place for them.

BTW, the phrase is "the grass isn't always greener". If the grass was greener on the other side, that would be positive because then things would be as they seemed. Please stay in Indy, Greensboro. The first impression you make is that you're either not all that literate or perhaps you're just careless. We don't need your kind in Dallas.

BSL63087...don't move or not move based on a football team. Check the DFW threads for some good advice.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,539,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Indiana is a comfortable place to live.
But this place is not good if you are older and single.
Marriage is an obsession here.
There must not be any older single men, because I haven't seen any.
Or they are hermits and live in caves. Or, they don't like women. Who knows.
I have to agree with this....I've been "older and single" six years now and haven't even met single older men. None, zip, nada.....not even in passing and not even friends of friends of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana