Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 19,124 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Bloomington and have relocated several times thinking it was too redneck or small or just a big craphole vortex...however my last move has mad me realize how much nicer it is than anywhere I've visited. I relocated to Philly and can't wait to get back to indiana. I miss drivers who know at least somewhat how to drive, people who respect others, the dramaticly low amount of racial discrimination, the cleanliness of the city (even including Indy proper). My daily commute to work, which is 22 miles (and low compared to a lot of people here) takes me over an hour due to traffic. I've been in Houston TX and hated every minute of it. Try moving elsewhere in Indiana, like further north before you give up on the state completely lol

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM

512 posts, read 862,177 times
I have to agree with you, Coffee Mate. I can't tell you how many times I've heard my big-city dweller friends say, when asked about a certain cultural thing I'm thinking of visiting in their city, "I don't know, I've never been there." I've heard it about NY, SF, San Diego, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and so on. Sure, it's there IF you're interested in going, but it's also there for us IF we decide to visit there some day.

To the uber-sophisticated one who posted about Indy having no culture, again, it's all in what you're willing to see. Is it ultra-liberal? No. Can it compete on the same cultural level as NY and LA? No. But ask around, both locals and transplants will tell you they don't want it to be. Indy has it's own culture, it's own taste, feel and sense. It's doesn't have to be like NY or LA. It's its own independent city, and that's something we're all very proud of.

Good luck to you getting back to what you want, though. I understand your need to be comfortable again. Just don't look down your nose on the way out. Some people choose to be less sophisticated as you.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,680,445 times
^great post! I can't wait to move back to Indiana (living in FL currently..) I love Indy for what so many others disrespect it for. I love that small town feel even in the city. I'm a small town girl with small children & IN is where I want to raise them. If you want culture, more nightlife, traffic, more crime then by all means, move to NY or LA or wherever interests you. I live in Sarasota currently & it is a huge culture area- you know what, I don't really care. Sitting on my back porch on a summer evening & listening to the crickets or seeing my kids roll & giggle in the snow or jumping in the fall colored leaves, catching lightening bugs, a big yard to run & fly their kites, a quiet neighborhood where they can ride their bikes- that's what Indiana gives me & I'll take that over any 'culture' anyday. I want great schools, great neighbors, low traffic & if limited 'culture' comes with it, so be it. Indy has great museums, festivals & sports- at least plenty for this gal

There are many cities that cater to many peoples wants & desires for living. That's what makes the good ole USA. People have a right to live where they are happy but one place isn't for everyone. I also think it has alot to do with where you are in life. When I was younger, sure, I wanted to get out & experience things. I did- now I'm ready to return home!

Last edited by PixiStix; 04-14-2008 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 AM

125 posts, read 427,050 times
Hi! I was born and raised in muncie, IN and i didnt like muncie, then my mom and i moved to Indy. I like it here, but i dont like the city, i was raised by my mamaw and papaw. They are from TN but like in Muncie in the country. I love it! I want to live in the country. They are always telling me how nice it is in TN, i want to live in the country. Down South! I am waiting to earn my registration to be a Vet. Tech. then i am hopfully moving to AL!!! I have been waiting to leave for about a year. But I more and likely will be back but i would like to see what else is in the world. I would like to sleep under a different piece of sky!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 13,704 times
Default I agree with you

We moved here from Minneapolis, and I miss it sooo much. You have a nightlife, a real nightlife. We live in Fort Wayne, granted. I guess I do not like the cold either, but I would definitely go back to Minneapolis if I could choose. The people are friendlier there also. I am not trying to offend anyone either, just differences of opinion, but I agree with you. There are also not many jobs in Indiana, and when we moved here I found out not alot of companies offer short term disability, what's up with that?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 43,316 times
Hello well I have to say,I'am from louisville kentucky,born and raised in north carolina up to the age of 10,then kentucky,My wife is from a small southern Indiana town Palmyra.Not far from new albany or louisville,I have done alot of traveling being in the navy and all,I really love Indiana and the people here are very friendly,you have your good and bad anywhere,I would Suggest that if you want a great place to live it would be corydon or palmyra Indiana,I lived in greenwood Indiana for awhile loved it there to.It really has alot to offer and to raise a family,However we are moving to north carolina to be closer to my family.I have to say Indiana is not bad just depends on where you go

Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 AM

125 posts, read 427,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
There are few exceptions Domergirl. I agree with Jakehorror though, the women here are nasty. I am happily married also though. Seems I snagged an exception. Jake, I'm headed West young man. Tasted it back in 2000 and it's where I want to be. No humidity, more sun, more adventure, more opportunities. I want my family in that type of atmosphere. Utah, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona. Not sure where I'll end up but I know which direction I want to go.
I dont think ALL the women here are. I am a female here and i take shower everyday, I dont go sleeping with just ol' random guy. so not ALL are, but more than half!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:57 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,291 times
I'm a Pacific NW native and have only been here since Feb 2007. I think I'm adjusting pretty well to life in the midwest...so far!

My first summer here was torture as we were living without air conditioning. As far as I'm concerned, it should be standard in every dwelling. I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever experienced...until I spent several weeks in Corpus Christi for work in August.

I was wrong. HOW do they survive that infernal sauna??

After two winters here, I'm totally ok with the severe cold (usually doesn't dip below 28 or so in Seattle). That was a surprise to me.

About the only things that still bug me a bit are a) missing mountains in the distance, b) the smell of the ocean, and c) fresh fish in the grocery store. Is that the same all over the state, or is it just the grocery stores in my area (Connersville)? I'm dying for shrimp that doesn't come in a freezer bag LOL.

Well, one more thing: my daughter gives nearly daily reports of kids making blatant racial/KKK and homophobic comments in her school. It makes me extremely angry...and a little leery of the local populace. If I had my way, we would move to a more progressive/educated area in the state (the education and literacy statistics here are appalling).

But I certainly do not miss the sound of handgun fire at 2am, which was a common occurrence in the Seattle area where I used to live.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Yow, you're quite a hike away. I'd say come join us down here in Columbus, but that's quite a way from where you are now. Well, at least Thomas the Train comes to Connersville every summer.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yow, you're quite a hike away. I'd say come join us down here in Columbus, but that's quite a way from where you are now. Well, at least Thomas the Train comes to Connersville every summer.
Rotfl!! Yes, I saw Thomas last year for a whopping 30 seconds, then dashed to the nearest spot of shade. That was my first taste of Indiana humidity--holy schnikeys!!

We went to Columbus and Brown County in November, actually. That's one of the areas I would give my right arm to move to! BEAUTIFUL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana