Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 PM

562 posts, read 1,791,697 times

Advertisements

Ha I can see where Rynae is coming from, but youll find that in any state where there is a rural presence, no wonder you hated it. How can you honestly compare Evansville to New york? If you had been in a larger city in Indiana perhaps your views would have been different. Yes you could move somewhere else (which I did to Philly, now NC) but on the East Coast and the West coast you are gonna get raped by high real estate prices, high taxes, and a general high cost of living. And in NC trsut me do we have our share of rednecks and ignorant people, not to mention it is hotter than hell down here in the summer with humidity, and almost everyone has allergies. I mean Indiana has everything such as all the great schools, sports, shopping, restuarants, etc in cities like Indy? The many top universities such as IU, Purdue, ND, VU? Cheap taxes, a cheap cost of living, nice geography, etc. Yes I decided to move, but all my friends ended up in Indy or in Chicago and they all love it. I primarily decided to move due to the weather, and love it down south, which is the one place I would say beats Indiana. But as everyone else said if you like the cold, then I would say Indiana is comparable to most other states.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 AM

413 posts, read 1,846,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynae View Post
I don't like Indiana, that is why I moved. I grew up in a very rural area (population of 1,000) and unfortunately I chose to go to college in Evansville Indiana to avoid paying out of state tuition. After I graduated from college at the age of 22, I moved to New York City. To the original poster, yes it is true that the people in Indiana are generally very 'narrow minded' and for some reason nobody can seem to grasp why someone would want to venture outside of the state. Whenever I talked about my plans to move across the country people would look at me like I was an alien and ask, 'Why'. Everybody that I met and knew lacked an education, any intelligence, creativity, goals, and ambitions. Most of the people I met in college weren't very intelligent either, most ended up dropping out and they were all locals who commuted to school because they were too scared to leave their families and go to school elsewhere. Basically if you aren't an ignorant redneck who wants to work in a factory your whole life then you are automatically an outsider and everybody will sense that you aren't one of them and will stare at you everywhere you go. It also seemed as if everybody in Indiana only liked to make babies. Halfway through my high school career there was hardly anyone in my class anymore because everybody had dropped out and had six kids by the age of 16, then went off to work some menial jobs and were just as content as could be living off their welfare checks and driving their pick up trucks around, listening to Rascal Flats. People there also like to talk about what good christians they are before they turn around and tell you how much they hate 'n*ggers'. Bascially if you're an underachieving, stupid, racist homophobic closet homosexual who hates anything that's different and loves to make babies all day while listening to country music then Indiana would be the ideal place for you.
Couldn't agree more. While Indiana is definatly not the worst state, it does have that strange way of pulling people in. My wife and I got that to, when we told the family and friends that we were moving to Cali many of them looked in shock as to why we would want to leave. Many people here in Indiana are happy to call this home, and that's fine, good for them. Hoosiers by nature are very content people (it seems). They don't have much interest in venturing out to see the world. NOT to say ALL, but I'd say at least a good 2/3 of the population is this way.
Christianity in Indiana: I've seen that done a million times, a "good christian" talks about how "good" thier grandbabies are then turn around and use the N word. That's really not just here in Indiana though, it's everywhere. Bigots. Once again NOT ALL of them are like this, but many are. I don't like to slap labels on anyone and I have met a few "good" christians too, so I wont elaborate anymore on religion, causes too many fights.
Babies: hahaha! That was funny! It's sad but true. Seems many of the woman here want to have babies and settle down and it doesn't even cross their mind that theres an ENTIRE WORLD out there to see!!! So many cultures, so many different lifestyles and so many interesting people and places this earth has and to lock down here is unthinkable for us. No babies= freedom.(for us anyways) It's a big big planet and Indiana and America are only tiny fragments in the large scope.
I cant eat Corn Flakes everyday. I crave change.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:14 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,870 times
Jakehorror- You will love California. I lived out there for awhile and loved every second of it. Great people, diverse culture, and there is ALWAYS something to do no matter what your interests are. I'm totally jealous!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Ha I can see where Rynae is coming from, but youll find that in any state where there is a rural presence, no wonder you hated it. How can you honestly compare Evansville to New york? If you had been in a larger city in Indiana perhaps your views would have been different. Yes you could move somewhere else (which I did to Philly, now NC) but on the East Coast and the West coast you are gonna get raped by high real estate prices, high taxes, and a general high cost of living. And in NC trsut me do we have our share of rednecks and ignorant people, not to mention it is hotter than hell down here in the summer with humidity, and almost everyone has allergies. I mean Indiana has everything such as all the great schools, sports, shopping, restuarants, etc in cities like Indy? The many top universities such as IU, Purdue, ND, VU? Cheap taxes, a cheap cost of living, nice geography, etc. Yes I decided to move, but all my friends ended up in Indy or in Chicago and they all love it. I primarily decided to move due to the weather, and love it down south, which is the one place I would say beats Indiana. But as everyone else said if you like the cold, then I would say Indiana is comparable to most other states.
Just remember, most high cost of living places pay more also. It may not quite be equivalent to the COL increase, but life is usually of better quality. My friend lived in Indy after getting his Aviation degree and he liked it. He also lived in Birmingham Alabama and liked it... then he went to Tucson Arizona... now he likes it there so much that he refuses to even visit the South or Midwest again. It's all personal preference. You may see "high tax" or "high cost of living", I see opportunity to network and make a good living and have sunshine most the year.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Jakehorror- You will love California. I lived out there for awhile and loved every second of it. Great people, diverse culture, and there is ALWAYS something to do no matter what your interests are. I'm totally jealous!!!
HAhahaha! Thanks! We have visited so many times in recent years that we just decided it was time to pack the bags. March 1st!!!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post
And please stay in New York.
No kidding! I'd hate to live in a place where girls have 6 babies by the time they are 16 ... Holy Moses!! That would mean, they are getting pregnant at 10 years old or having multiple sets of multiples!

I love NYC, truly I do, but you're awfully bitter about Indiana and I hope NYC helps you deal with that. Chicago helped me deal with my bitterness and I haven't regretted coming back. Don't turn your back on this state. We'll always welcome you back.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,988,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynae View Post
I don't like Indiana, that is why I moved. I grew up in a very rural area (population of 1,000) and unfortunately I chose to go to college in Evansville Indiana to avoid paying out of state tuition. After I graduated from college at the age of 22, I moved to New York City.
I moved the other direction 7 years ago (from NYC to Indiana) and had a different experience. Frankly I don't think NYC can be fairly compared to any rural location in Indiana... it's like apples to bananas (not even oranges). Not to mention you didn't state which borough you moved to.. since each is very unique I think it's relevant. All that said it sounds like you've found home in NYC, that's cool. My wife and I couldn't wait to leave as the cost of living was ridiculous (food, auto insurance at $2,500 per vehicle, etc), the commute time to work likewise (over an hour each way), real estate costs were unattainable for a young couple (trying to quickly save enough money for a $400-900k mortgage for a 50-100 year old place when you have a rental cost of $1,350.00 per month is tough), and of course although unimportant to you we wanted to have children and that simply isn't practical when having to work/commute for at least 11 hours per day and when other than a few museums and a nice zoo there was very few affordable things to do with children in the vicinity. No I don't miss those things at all.

Now I can say I did the "big city" thing and no one can pull the wool over my eyes (it's ironic how many people in the country or suburbs idealize life in a big city without ever having been). Perhaps NYC is better to some people than others - actually I have no doubt that is true. I can tell you that in the mid-sized city of Fort Wayne life here for my family is "just right" with a decent pace, great cost of living, and I'm surrounded by a lot more friendly people (who in the service industry also speak English) than I was in NYC.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:55 AM

My point exactly. If your heading in the direction of raising a family and settling down, then Indiana has ALOT to offer. On the other hand, those like me who live a faster lifestyle it really lacks what we need.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,822 times
Indianapolis I believe is the name, a large city but to me its really nothing. I would dislike to see my city grow large but have the feeing of nothing. Again Indiana its so odd, its just something about it. Its like a place that may have what you want but you dont want it there.... difficult to explain at the moment

Old 12-20-2007, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 38,714 times
i myself do not care for Indiana and am trying desperately to move away!!! I can't stand the public school systems in Elkhart county!! I am hoping to move in the next month or two to North Dakota or Minnesota!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana