Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,438,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I've experienced something entirely different. A personal friend of my family is a legal immigrant from Ecuador was stabbed 16 times in central islip Long Island being mistaken for an illegal immigrant by very angry black people. It's a bitter recovery for him seeing investigations flounder, no justice, and medical bills that he fears will outlive him. The community has done it's best to fund raise for him, but that anger over crime is also anger at the impotence of law.

The problem of illegals not being dealt with properly is what caused this posse to exist. Poor people are being pitted against poor people and it needs to quit. The next incident was a white posse of kids who were caught. The posse is what we'll get if law and order doesn't step up. We could have this same argument about cabrini greens residents abused by criminals.

Draconian or utter neglect-- pick one? I say lets try for a better plan that respects all. Arizonas plan is the closest thing so far, do better if you're dissatisfied. Constructive endeavors works best.
It's simply opposition for some people when any one tries to anything about it, unless it's the current administration....if they ever stop talking about it and actually get busing doing something constructive to fix it. Look at all the opposition people had to the minutemen helping guard the border....they were immediately labeled as vigilantes. I'll bet you'll find people that will still call them that even though that hasn't happened....with 2,500 of them, there should have been several significant incidents from them by now, if that were even remotely the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,799,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What I find very interesting is that when most people are up in arms about illegal immigration they are referring to Mexicans or some other Latino influx and I am seeing firsthand what unrestrained Russian immigration, be it legal or otherwise, can do to drain our systems. Is anyone else on this thread witnessing this in their city?
The fact they've managed a head count of hispanics being the largest % is irrelevant. If there were 12 million irishmen doing the same I'd have a problem with them too. Can we stick to the actual issue please?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Actually, legal or illegal, it doesn't mean they left the country...it just means they left town.
Understood but my point was you have both legal and illegal people leaving this small town, the premise is that business's lost a lot of customers but how many of those customers were legal residents that would have stayed if this was a national policy?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
The fact they've managed a head count of hispanics being the largest % is irrelevant. If there were 12 million irishmen doing the same I'd have a problem with them too. Can we stick to the actual issue please?
The issue of the thread is "strict immigration laws"...how does that not apply to all immigrants? We have a Russian mafia presence in this country that has surpassed any other crime ring in its scope. Russian immigrants have defrauded our Medicare and Medicaid systems on levels that are astronomical. Again, how do our laws not apply to every immigrant population?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Honestly, I don't know anyone who lives in Mexico. I do have a Uncle (by marriage) who is a Mexican American though. Awful nice guy, speaks perfect English and Spanish.

He lives in Phoenix, so I hope he carries his papers with him, so my Aunt doesn't have to deal with INS.
I live in Phoenix too and if your uncle speaks perfect english, he'll have zero problems. The police aren't going to start asking for papers from any one that just looks hispanic (even if they're not)....there needs to be a lot more suspicion that they may be illegal than that...and let me tell you as a Phoenician, speaking perfect english will completely erase any suspicion what-so-ever that some one may be here illegally. If they don't have enough to do already, asking someone that speaks perfect english to prove that they're here legally, is definitely NOT going to be on there list new things to do (unless they've really p*ssed the police off for some reason)......I'll bet the house on that.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,799,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The issue of the thread is "strict immigration laws"...how does that not apply to all immigrants? We have a Russian mafia presence in this country that has surpassed any other crime ring in its scope. Russian immigrants have defrauded our Medicare and Medicaid systems on levels that are astronomical. Again, how do our laws not apply to every immigrant population?
Hmmm if you'll read my posts thoroughly, you'll see that I have made a note of inconsistent messages. That I didn't specify who was who or which issue-- we need one law to apply to all. Clear enough? Immigrants breaking the law have swift boot out. Illegal aliens have a swift boot and a revolving door because the beaten path is established. Forget nation of origin. Consistent law is more important.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Here in Wisconsin, the Dairy Farmers just finished backing the legislature down from enacting stringent anti immigrent measures when they showed clearly that they could not stay in business without immigrent employees. I will also tell you that those people who yell "they use welfare" about immigrents are also the same ones who yell "they take our jobs." Make up your mind. If they are working at "your" jobs then they aren't on welfare. Hispanic workers up on roofs in 90 degree weather, cleaning the barns in winter and summer, digging potatos in baking heat, cleaning bathrooms, taking care of other people's children, landscaping in all types of weather, etc. are doing what every new immigrent group has done in this country. They are working jobs that no one else wants for wages that no one else will accept until they get a foothold established and can move up the economic ladder. And they work darn hard doing it. And it might surprise you to know that some of them were educated professionals in their own countries and came here because of fear for their life and the lives of their families. Do some criminals slip in too? Yeah, they do. But there are plenty of people born and raised right here in the USA who are also criminals. And there are also plenty of European folks here "unpapered" who are working off the books too. I know that for a fact. Wonder if they'll get stopped and harrassed too?
The way it works here in Arizona, is the women will get aid because, they have children that they gave birth to while here in the U.S. The men work as day laborers or at other jobs, whether they're legally married to the woman or the father of the child she gave birth to. The men are the ones that will be at risk of being booted out of the country (or a woman that doesn't have a child she gave birth to here). The mother gets to stay even if she's illegal because her child is a U.S. citizen.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Hmmm if you'll read my posts thoroughly, you'll see that I have made a note of inconsistent messages. That I didn't specify who was who or which issue-- we need one law to apply to all. Clear enough? Immigrants breaking the law have swift boot out. Illegal aliens have a swift boot and a revolving door because the beaten path is established. Forget nation of origin. Consistent law is more important.
I have never said otherwise. The fact is that if you want to know about immigrant crime and abuses of our systems running rampant, you need to look no further than my backyard in NY. I have witnessed fraud that no other ethnic group has ever perpetrated and yet the focus is on the Latino immigrants. The lies and deception that the Russian immigrant population here has used to get into this country and milk our systems dry is deplorable. We have our share of Mexican, Guatamalen and other Latino ethnic groups here, but they are paled by the influx of illegal and criminally intent Russians. I'd like nothing better than an all out crackdown on these low lives. I suppose you cannot realte to what I am talking about until you have lived in close proximity to these people.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
So this really isn't a realistic example of what would happen with a national policy. Let's consider something else, they left because there was no longer a reason for them to live there. Can't get a job, housing etc. You could argue that your other thread about the cost of deportation is moot point becuse the same thing would happen with a national policy, instead of moving to the city next door they would be moving back to Mexico.

We don't need to deport them, what we need to do is take away the reasons they come here to begin with. Those already living here will have no choice but to go back and you no longer have a large influx of new illegals.
I was born and raised in New Jersey and I can remember people who have lived there the entire life, returning from being on vacation and referring NJ as the armpit of the country....on more than one occassion. It's not just about landing at Newark airport....there are other reasons but, that experience definitely reminds of that....lol. Maybe the people that recently fled just figured that out before they settled there for good and could still easily pack up and move again....lol.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Show me one post, where someone says we should just let anyone into the country, and do nothing about it.
Well that would be kind of dumb to do if that were their position on the issue. They're not going to announce it....they just won't care about it or say anything about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration