Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Illegal immigration made this country, were Europeans legal? Did they overstay their visas?
Nonsense.
Explain that to the earlier groups if Indians when the later ones arrived.

None of which is relevant since we are now a sovereign nation along with Mexico, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Illegal immigration made this country, were Europeans legal? Did they overstay their visas?
Nonsense.
You're joking, right? It was immigrants who came here within whatever immigration laws were in place at the time who helped build this country. If there weren't any immigration laws then they weren't illegal under those circumstances either. After a generation or two it was native born Americans who finished building this country along with legal immigrants.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Nonsense.
Please expound on how illegals “made” this country.

Furthermore, workers “make” cars, but that doesn’t entitle them to drive them home.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 23,931 times
Default what nonsense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I again have to agree with Arizonabear on this. Justice should be blind, brains or not, and the fact of the matter is this guy broke the law. There is already enough of a difference in justice for Harvard men and others who are fortunate enough to be smart and/or wealthy and those who are not so lucky. Why do you want to expand on that gap? The law clearly states that if someone is here illegally they should be detained, deported, and a banned from entering the US for a period of time. If you do not like that work to change it, but the law is the law and it needs to be enforced no matter who the offender is...whether they are a Harvard man or a day laborer equality before the law is what our legal system is based on and to say that this guy should receive special treatment because he was "the top of his class in high school and being smart enough to get into Harvard." undermines the fundamental basis of our justice system.

OK so if justice should be blind or brainless as how you make it sound , then why were governments like the one of this country and other countries that are free and open set up?? the reason democracy was made? the reason why people came to America!??? The only reason government was set up was so that people can go a have the right for life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness as stated in the Declaration of Independence and so that the government can PROTECT those rights! ALso found in many countries' BIll of Rights!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:54 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wish we had a thousands more like him that we could grant citizenship to. Kind of like recruiting the best players for your team. LOL. I only wish we could trade some too.
I second that motion

Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I second that motion
we already have a process for people to come here legally. https://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...ream-must.html

Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is infuriating. Why should ANY illegal alien receive scholarships in this country? They are using us to the max.
So your position is that a private institution like Harvard should not be allowed to grant scholarships to whomever they want? Sounds like government interference in the private sector to me.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 PM

77 posts, read 102,615 times
I'm so proud of this kid, I'm moved.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:56 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please expound on how illegals “made” this country.

Furthermore, workers “make” cars, but that doesn’t entitle them to drive them home.
On the contrary, Illegals "show up" and demand social services and a free key to the City.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:41 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default No,

No human being is illegal, just undocumented, put this kid on the road
toward citizenship and do ot be jealous or covetous of his genius and his success. Some people need a hand up. Not criminals or terrorists, just
people with enormous potential to contribute. This country was founded
upon immigration. Period. You should not be some sort of precedent,
you are not the yardstick by which am measured, I could care less
about your example.
I do not break laws but laws are imperfect and fallible.
You did the right thing within your opportunity and circumstance- that is all.
One's race or circumstance of birth does not make one a lawbreaker. You
are judging his morality as God would and not his character..... and
of course you are not the Almighty.
The kid did nothing except be gifted beyond mmost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
There are four words I am going to spell out because I do not think you understand them...HE BROKE THE LAW end of story. As to an American in England I was there I did that and I got a visa to do that. One of my roomates also on that program received a visa to study there, but not a visa to intern there. Guess what rather then breaking British law and just interning anyway she just stayed in the dorm and did course work when we all did internships I told her it sucked, but she made the right decision not to break British law.

As to your question "What gives us the right to get treated better than this kid." Let me pose another question what gives him the right to be treated better then the many other qualified foreigners who attend Harvard who go through the visa process? And once more what makes him better then others who are qualified and go though the legal process, but for whatever reason do not have the ability to get a student visa? When I was interning in London one of my co-interns was a student from the People's Republic of China. He attended The London School of Economics and could have and wanted to go to Harvard, but lacked the credentials to get a US visa. Why should a Criminal get a higher preference then him?

You are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about. You in your response made all sorts of unfounded inferences about me and your argument is full of ad hominims and faulty moral appeals simply because you cannot address the fact that a crime is being committed and you do not like what must be done to rectify the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration