Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 09:49 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,076,397 times

Advertisements

If whoever organized the scholarship wants to pay for a Harvard education for an illegal, it is his/her business. He or she should understand that the student could be somehow deported.

If it's the school itself, that's the school's business. As a private school Harvard can spend its money largely how it wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
If whoever organized the scholarship wants to pay for a Harvard education for an illegal, it is his/her business. He or she should understand that the student could be somehow deported.

If it's the school itself, that's the school's business. As a private school Harvard can spend its money largely how it wants.
Does Harvard accept Federal Grants? If so that makes it everyones business.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Does Harvard accept Federal Grants? If so that makes it everyones business.
If the money this guy received wasn't money no it's not everyone's business. It's the US government's job to enforce immigration law not Harvard's job.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:17 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
If the money this guy received wasn't money no it's not everyone's business. It's the US government's job to enforce immigration law not Harvard's job.
"wasn't federal money"

Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No they are not but that is not a reason to take money from blue collars workers who couldn't afford College to provide these people a top notch education.
Huh?

Who had their money taken away?

This kid was given a MERIT BASED SCHOLARSHIP. Anyone else who would have been able to go to Harvard academically would clearly have no problem getting a scholarship either.

And there's no such thing as not being able to afford college. That's a lame excuse. ANYONE can afford college. Whether you go to a free scool like one of the military academies or Cooper Union or you obtain student loans, or you do a work-study program, or you get a job and go to a state school part-time, the possibilities are endless. Only those who are too stupid to figure out one of those ways can't afford college. I knew a teenaged runaway who paid her own way at Tulane University, a school with tuition around $36,000 (not counting room & board), she worked long hours as a waitress and had loans and took an occaisional semester off to raise her capital. Now she's getting her Master's degree and was able to save up some money. My father grew up with a family of four living in a 1 bedroom apartment in the ghetto of Brooklyn. He excelled in school and got accepted at Cooper Union, a FREE university. Now he's incredibly successful. I served in the US Navy, starting with ROTC in college. Many of my peers in the Navy were on full military scholarships, and this was not at Annapolis, but rather Tulane, a regular university. You see, making excuses doesn't help.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times
The kid was given a scholarship by a private university. He was probably studying while you were partying.

The right wing constantly talks about competition and how it should be the final decider in all things. This kid beat the competition. Too bad.

Perhaps instead of complaining, go home and study, or go home and make your kids study instead of watching Fox News and mindlessly repeating their complaints.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is infuriating. Why should ANY illegal alien receive scholarships in this country? They are using us to the max.
As a college student, I AGREE.

Why am I being punished for being a legal TAX PAYING citizen of this country?

I would love to get 50K in scholarships. I go to University of Michigan. Not cheap AT ALL.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

I would love to get 50K in scholarships. I go to University of Michigan. Not cheap AT ALL.
Yeah, it's cheap. It's a state school supported by taxes.

In state tuition is 1/7th of what it was at my university, out of state is 2/5ths of what my university charged. Your education is subsidized by the taxpayers, including those who have no intention of ever attending or sending a child to a state school.

Michigan is a great school at a cheap price, you've got a bargain there. You could just as easily be going to Pepperdine and be getting a slightly inferior education for 7x as much as your in-state tuition.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 PM

983 posts, read 1,635,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Who's punishing you? Did you apply for the said scholarship? Taxes have little to nothing to do here since funds for that scholarship are private.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
If the school is taking fed money then it should have to abide by our laws even if the school disagrees. Once a school elects to accept fed dollars then they also elect to fall under the public scrutiny.
This kid is an illegal. Let his country of origin educate him. Let the USA educate our own.
Your right it is the Governments job to enforce the law.
It is Harvard's responsibility not to aid and abet criminal behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration