Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
As a college student, I AGREE.

Why am I being punished for being a legal TAX PAYING citizen of this country?

I would love to get 50K in scholarships. I go to University of Michigan. Not cheap AT ALL.
You pay taxes?
Well, this scholarship money isn't coming from taxes.
And you aren't as bright as the kid in the OP, hence, no $50,000 Harvard scholorship for you.

No punishment, all is fair. Be happy you get to go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Huh?

Who had their money taken away?

This kid was given a MERIT BASED SCHOLARSHIP. Anyone else who would have been able to go to Harvard academically would clearly have no problem getting a scholarship either.

And there's no such thing as not being able to afford college. That's a lame excuse. ANYONE can afford college. Whether you go to a free scool like one of the military academies or Cooper Union or you obtain student loans, or you do a work-study program, or you get a job and go to a state school part-time, the possibilities are endless. Only those who are too stupid to figure out one of those ways can't afford college. I knew a teenaged runaway who paid her own way at Tulane University, a school with tuition around $36,000 (not counting room & board), she worked long hours as a waitress and had loans and took an occaisional semester off to raise her capital. Now she's getting her Master's degree and was able to save up some money. My father grew up with a family of four living in a 1 bedroom apartment in the ghetto of Brooklyn. He excelled in school and got accepted at Cooper Union, a FREE university. Now he's incredibly successful. I served in the US Navy, starting with ROTC in college. Many of my peers in the Navy were on full military scholarships, and this was not at Annapolis, but rather Tulane, a regular university. You see, making excuses doesn't help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
The kid was given a scholarship by a private university. He was probably studying while you were partying.

The right wing constantly talks about competition and how it should be the final decider in all things. This kid beat the competition. Too bad.

Perhaps instead of complaining, go home and study, or go home and make your kids study instead of watching Fox News and mindlessly repeating their complaints.
Needless to say----------the kid needs to be deported since his mere presence is a slap in the face of those immigrants who played by the rules.

Note if said illegal were a political refugee along the lines of a woman fleeing Somalia to avoid genital mutilation------------I personally would turn a blind eye.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,833,639 times
There are plenty of merit scholars that are citizens who deserve this. This is the problem in this country!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:20 PM

411 posts, read 469,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And, why not? Illegal aliens (Harvard grads or not) are criminals and need to be dealt with as such.

This "criminal" should be an example for so many people that have all the means available to them, yet don't succeed, take a look at the best academic institutions in the US, they are full of orientals, hispanics, indians etc. if we need to get our brightest from abroad, so be it....

Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,321,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
Did your college age child get a scholarship for being LEGAL???

In my opinion, now, that we know who he is and where he is, how can we deport him? That money belongs to an American child for education and not an illegal aliens.
You know what's funny about this story...
Universities have the right to make a person legal in the United States

It's called "Student visa"

Old 09-19-2009, 05:27 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You know what's funny about this story...
Universities have the right to make a person legal in the United States

It's called "Student visa"
Unfortunately once you are caught that changes the dynamics of getting a VISA of any kind.
He should be deported and then he can apply for his VISA.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,109,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Needless to say----------the kid needs to be deported since his mere presence is a slap in the face of those immigrants who played by the rules.

Note if said illegal were a political refugee along the lines of a woman fleeing Somalia to avoid genital mutilation------------I personally would turn a blind eye.
Think about the crime because of drug wars from a drug market that WE as a country create going on throughout Mexico.

As far as I'm concerned, this kid is a refugee.

Of course I'm probably delusional because its just Mexico

Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,321,959 times
The kid needs to make it right. Go home and apply for a student visa. He is illegal, Harvard student or not, and has no right to be anywhere inside the borders of the United States.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:53 AM

411 posts, read 469,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The kid needs to make it right. Go home and apply for a student visa. He is illegal, Harvard student or not, and has no right to be anywhere inside the borders of the United States.

Me, I accept him as trade in, we can send to his country several of our lazy failures, so that they learn to live without entitlements...

Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,160,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Me, I accept him as trade in, we can send to his country several of our lazy failures, so that they learn to live without entitlements...
Somehow; I doubt the kid's native country would go for such a deal...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration