Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Then he should change his name to Abdullah Larsen.
His real name is Azam Mohammad Mukhtiar. I wonder if his phones are tapped by the federal government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 06:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
No doubt its different. The "Arm pit" of California is what those places have been called. Ah San Jose. Was there last weekend at the Jazz and Salsa festival. Beautiful thing. People of all colors, races and ages were enjoying the salsa.
I was at the Rock the Bells hip hop festival in San Bernardino the same weekend, thinking the same thing.

I remember thinking, I wish those people on this board talking about how hateful Latinos are and complaining about multi-culturalism could see this crowd.

Tons of Latinos(it IS southern california), lots of Blacks, lots of Whites, lots of Asians.
Everything from thugs to college kids. It was an awesome event, like it is every year.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
His real name is Azam Mohammad Mukhtiar. I wonder if his phones are tapped by the federal government
Hell; Salma Hayek (also an Arabic name) is a real Mexican.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I was at the Rock the Bells hip hop festival in San Bernardino the same weekend, thinking the same thing.

I remember thinking, I wish those people on this board talking about how hateful Latinos are and complaining about multi-culturalism could see this crowd.

Tons of Latinos(it IS southern california), lots of Blacks, lots of Whites, lots of Asians.
Everything from thugs to college kids. It was an awesome event, like it is every year.
That does not prove a thing at all.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

It's lovely at events, but it doesn't work in the real world on a daily basis. It never has ANYWHERE in the world - just creates tension. I think, by nature, people tend to want to be with their "own kind" - look at the Mexicans who won't assimilate, and stay in their own groups. Or, look at blacks on college campuses who want their own dorms. Everyone seems to like being in their own group for the most part. I don't think there's anything wrong with that - it's just human nature.

However, it does not work well if a whole country is just made up of various groups who don't want the same things, and don't want to stand together for their country. We need unity - if not, we have nothing.

If we just say we'd LIKE to see everyone get together and love each other, and not have any tension, etc., it does not make it so. We can't force it. It's not reality.

If we look at it this way, we can see that a country's people has to have common ground, or else we fall apart. Sadly, that seems to be happening now in the U.S., and it doesn't bode well for the future.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Music concerts are about music. Gangs are about illegal commerce. A bit different.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It's lovely at events, but it doesn't work in the real world on a daily basis. It never has ANYWHERE in the world - just creates tension. I think, by nature, people tend to want to be with their "own kind" - look at the Mexicans who won't assimilate, and stay in their own groups. Or, look at blacks on college campuses who want their own dorms. Everyone seems to like being in their own group for the most part. I don't think there's anything wrong with that - it's just human nature.

However, it does not work well if a whole country is just made up of various groups who don't want the same things, and don't want to stand together for their country. We need unity - if not, we have nothing.

If we just say we'd LIKE to see everyone get together and love each other, and not have any tension, etc., it does not make it so. We can't force it. It's not reality.

If we look at it this way, we can see that a country's people has to have common ground, or else we fall apart. Sadly, that seems to be happening now in the U.S., and it doesn't bode well for the future.
Excellent analogy, it is my honor to rep you!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:

The common denominator is culture.

I amy be of partial Hungarian lineage (father is from there) but I sure as hell would feel like an 'outsider' if confronted by a bunch of Hungarians jabbering away in their language-----------been there, done that. This incident occurred in my 'turf'-----------here in the Phx area.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:

Good post, Sal. Reminds me of the many good souls on the forum who relate stories about how they once 'traveled alone to strange countries, where they didn't know the language....found themselves at the mercy of the locals, who helped them out, made them feel at home, and showed them around'. These folks uniformly remember the 'wonderful time' they had.

That's all well and good, and I say this as a one-time world traveler myself. But it's one thing to have an exciting international adventure when you're young, unencumbered, and on the move....and quite another thing to find yourself raising a family, owning a home, and making a living in an area where you can't 'speak to the neighbors', and they can't speak to you...or to each other...and where everyone must constantly be on guard lest he 'annoy' the guy next door.

An 'adventure' usually has a conclusion. In everyday life, though, a daily dose of 'adventure' might get pretty stale.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
That does not prove a thing at all.
Wtf? and calling yourself a threat to the United States is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration