Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,160,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont know about all that.
Are you basing that assumption on that same Latina?

Theres a lot of teasing between Chicanos and Mexicans, but I dont know about "hate".
Mexicans are the more recent immigrant arrivals in this country, so most Chicanos are going to have some kind of ties to familia "SOB".
And 20-30 years ago was the height of the Chicano movement, where people really used the terms "La Raza" "Mi Gente", and identified with Mexican culture strongly.

I understand making that assumption from a couple of people, but I'd take word of mouth with a grain of salt.

Also, if Black kids and white kids were being let into the "clikas", I dont think theyd be turning down other Mexicans.
There have always been lots of "Chicano" types who are as American as the next guy, but happened to have been born in Mexico.
I call BS on that, not necessarily from you, but at least an exaggeration from your "Latina".
For the most part from what I've seen from my family and other sources, it seems that the "chicanos" in California are more affiliated with the Nortenos street gang. This is the gang that has ties with Black gangs. And the kids who come from Mexico usually join the Surenos gang, a set of the Mexican Mafia. Don't know why.

Oh and, Menudo at this time of day? Dios mio. It's supposed to be for breakfast! Smells like fecies but tastes so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,759,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
For the most part from what I've seen from my family and other sources, it seems that the "chicanos" in California are more affiliated with the Nortenos street gang. This is the gang that has ties with Black gangs. And the kids who come from Mexico usually join the Surenos gang, a set of the Mexican Mafia. Don't know why.

Oh and, Menudo at this time of day? Dios mio. It's supposed to be for breakfast! Smells like fecies but tastes so good.
If you dont mind me asking, are you from Nor Cal?

Up north, you see a lot of Chicanos and Blacks being cooler with each other, but in LA and SD, there are A LOT more gangs, with A LOT more history, so its more segregated.
Also, in prison, Northern gangs are allied with Blacks in prison against Southern gangs and Whites, so that might play a part.

Most of the Hispanic gangbangers in LA and SD are Chicano, and very very very VERY few of them are lined up with Norteno gangs.

Maybe you get that from all the "illegal" gangs in cities outside of California tending to associate themselves with 13, or Southside.
But being Chicano or recently immigrated Mexican doesn't play as much a part as location in which prison gang the thug-types align themselves with.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
If you dont mind me asking, are you from Nor Cal?

Up north, you see a lot of Chicanos and Blacks being cooler with each other, but in LA and SD, there are A LOT more gangs, with A LOT more history, so its more segregated.
Also, in prison, Northern gangs are allied with Blacks in prison against Southern gangs and Whites, so that might play a part.

Most of the Hispanic gangbangers in LA and SD are Chicano, and very very very VERY few of them are lined up with Norteno gangs.

Maybe you get that from all the "illegal" gangs in cities outside of California tending to associate themselves with 13, or Southside.
But being Chicano or recently immigrated Mexican doesn't play as much a part as location in which prison gang the thug-types align themselves with.
Yes I am. I have come up to the conclusion that because these "chicanos" were born here, and have usually grown up in bad areas where Blacks and Latinos are more prevalent, both groups accept each other. And what do recent Mexican immigrants see when they move into neighborhoods with Black people? They see their "ghetto" sub-culture and are intimidated by it. A good example of this would be in L.A. I guess its all because these Chicano's are more Americanized than their paisano cousins.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,485,650 times
Quote:
What the hell? refused due to being Mexican? Where'd you hear that from? And what chicano guy? Was it this man? He's a Pakistani-American disguised as a Mexican. He speaks Spanish, and grew up in a Mexican neighborhood. He's claimed before in his music that he was Mexican. That doesn't work well when your name is Fahd Azam.

Then he should change his name to Abdullah Larsen.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I am. I have come up to the conclusion that because these "chicanos" were born here, and have usually grown up in bad areas where Blacks and Latinos are more prevalent, both groups accept each other. And what do recent Mexican immigrants see when they move into neighborhoods with Black people? They see their "ghetto" sub-culture and are intimidated by it. A good example of this would be in L.A. I guess its all because these Chicano's are more Americanized than their paisano cousins.
Nah, not at all.
Its just a different environment up there. Theres a lot of Chicanos in LA. And Blacks and Latinos have always shared neighborhoods in LA.
Even in South Central, it used to be like 70 percent Black and 25 percent Mexico back in the day.
Now its the other way around, and people are acting like the Mexicans just showed up. Trust me, theyre not all paisas.

I dont know too much about the Bay, but I know from the people Ive met from up there, the lifestlye is a lot different than LA.

You guys got all that hyphy stuff, and Latinos embrace Black culture a lot more, kind of like Puerto Ricans in New York.
But go down a little more south to Salinas, and you got more of the LA style, even though they are representing Northside.

Chicanos have always had a strong presence in LA and Southern California, so they have a stronger identity.
Back in the day, you would even see a few Black and white people dressed in that "Vato" style acting cholo.

It used to be kind of co-existence, not exactly integrated, but seperated with a some influences here and there.
In the early 90s, Chicanos were listening to all the new rap, loving the new rap style, and then you saw all the famous LA rappers like Snoop and Dre riding lowriders and dressing with Chicano influence.

Now, it seems people of all races get along more(you just got to go to a hip hop festival or something to see that).

Its pretty much the gangsters that are at each others throats. But what else is new, right?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Nah, not at all.
Its just a different environment up there. Theres a lot of Chicanos in LA. And Blacks and Latinos have always shared neighborhoods in LA.
Even in South Central, it used to be like 70 percent Black and 25 percent Mexico back in the day.
Now its the other way around, and people are acting like the Mexicans just showed up. Trust me, theyre not all paisas.

I dont know too much about the Bay, but I know from the people Ive met from up there, the lifestlye is a lot different than LA.

You guys got all that hyphy stuff, and Latinos embrace Black culture a lot more, kind of like Puerto Ricans in New York.
But go down a little more south to Salinas, and you got more of the LA style, even though they are representing Northside.

Chicanos have always had a strong presence in LA and Southern California, so they have a stronger identity.
Back in the day, you would even see a few Black and white people dressed in that "Vato" style acting cholo.

It used to be kind of co-existence, not exactly integrated, but seperated with a some influences here and there.
In the early 90s, Chicanos were listening to all the new rap, loving the new rap style, and then you saw all the famous LA rappers like Snoop and Dre riding lowriders and dressing with Chicano influence.
It depends what part of NorCal you go to. The Mexican Mafia was founded in Tracy, CA. A great book to read up on is "Always Running", by Luis Rodriguez. It was different back then.. way different.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,575,218 times
Anyone who eats menudo, as far as I'm concerned, has GUTS ! I'd tell you the nickname it used to go by, but this is a family forum, and I'd get severely reprimanded....

Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Anyone who eats menudo, as far as I'm concerned, has GUTS ! I'd tell you the nickname it used to go by, but this is a family forum, and I'd get severely reprimanded....
Once you get passed the **** smell and the chewy meat, its all good. Make you you properly add Oregano, onion, and Jalapeno. Don't blame the Mexicans though, this delicacy hails from Europe

Old 08-14-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
It depends what part of NorCal you go to. The Mexican Mafia was founded in Tracy, CA. A great book to read up on is "Always Running", by Luis Rodriguez. It was different back then.. way different.
Yeah, in the State Prison in Tracy, lol. Those were all East Los boys though.

The Bay Area is a lot different than all the northern farm towns like Salinas, Fresno, and Modesto.
The Bay is definitely on a different trip.
My dad was originally from San Jose before he moved down here.

I was at a Barnes and Noble the other day, and I couldn't find a book I wanted. I remembered seeing that title years ago, but couldn't find it. Is it good?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, in the State Prison in Tracy, lol. Those were all East Los boys though.

The Bay Area is a lot different than all the northern farm towns like Salinas, Fresno, and Modesto.
The Bay is definitely on a different trip.
My dad was originally from San Jose before he moved down here.

I was at a Barnes and Noble the other day, and I couldn't find a book I wanted. I remembered seeing that title years ago, but couldn't find it. Is it good?

No doubt its different. The "Arm pit" of California is what those places have been called. Ah San Jose. Was there last weekend at the Jazz and Salsa festival. Beautiful thing. People of all colors, races and ages were enjoying the salsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration