Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,593,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Rep points if I could give them.

This is a great reply to all those people basically saying, "join us, or else".
Keep in mind, he wasnt making a threat. This is in response to many of your own prophecies of there being a bad situation for Latinos if we don't devote ourselves to your way of thinking.
Bad situation?....NAAAAH !....WHAT 'bad situation'? Why would ANYONE imagine that in a nation of 330 million diverse people, held together only by their own 'mutual consent', in a society governed and defined by LAWS, rather than by ethnicity, ancestry, or religion, that there would be any need for any group to agree with any OTHER group's "Way of Thinking"? This is AMERICA, after all..and NOBODY can make ANYBODY do what they don't want to do. That's FREEDOM, man, and if you don't agree, my group will punch YOUR group right in its collective "group nose". Don't tell ME what I should do, and I won't tell YOU.....comprendes ?....

Now, let's sit down and discuss our future as a nation. I GET THE BIG CHAIR !! (And I get to talk FIRST !)....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM

4,802 posts, read 8,771,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Bad situation?....NAAAAH !....WHAT 'bad situation'? Why would ANYONE imagine that in a nation of 330 million diverse people, held together only by their own 'mutual consent', in a society governed and defined by LAWS, rather than by ethnicity, ancestry, or religion, that there would be any need for any group to agree with any OTHER group's "Way of Thinking"? This is AMERICA, after all..and NOBODY can make ANYBODY do what they don't want to do. That's FREEDOM, man, and if you don't agree, my group will punch YOUR group right in its collective "group nose". Don't tell ME what I should do, and I won't tell YOU.....comprendes ?....

Now, let's sit down and discuss our future as a nation. I GET THE BIG CHAIR !! (And I get to talk FIRST !)....
Woo hoo! The Mac attack is back!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,614,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So yours was a warning, but you declared my statement a threat?
Also the difference here is that people are not weather.
Thanks for your astute revelation. Can you say ANALOGY?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,701,957 times
In real life (as opposed to on this forum) I see no impending peril nor do I see many people making threats. I refuse to sign onto any of this "you're with us or you're against us" or "Latinos will fight back and retaliate!" BS - it takes away from my arguments and creates a false sense of tension between Latinos (although this discussion ISN'T ABOUT LATINOS, it's about ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!!!) and others. I just don't see this threatening, hostile atmosphere in real life and see no need to contribute to this doomsday scenario some people portray on the internet.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Woo hoo! The Mac attack is back!
Yes indeedy!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,438,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes indeedy!
Ditto

Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,328,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Are Latinos a threat to the U.S.?

Growing up in Orange and Los Angeles Counties, Leo Chavez never felt less than fully American... But over the past few decades, Chavez, a 57-year-old anthropology professor at UC Irvine, has watched with alarm as portrayal of Latinos has pervaded popular culture and seeped into political discourse... When I grew up Latino immigrants were only about 15 percent of the population. It's been a major transformation in my lifetime. When I grew up, most Latinos pretty much were speaking English. Orange County -- [when I was in college] probably 80 percent of Santa Ana was Anglo. Now it's 80 percent Latino.

This was what I was always afraid was going to happen when the sleeping giant was awakened. I am Hispanic and was born in this country, as were my parents and the family I know of. I am not saying anyone is wrong for feeling the way they do about being against illegal immigration. I am also against illegal immigration and I want them all deported post haste. I also believe that English should be the Official Language of our country and that not one iota of governmental business, state and federal, should be conducted in anything but English. What is going to happen when this simmering cauldron finally breaks and it all boils over? Will there be race and ethnicity killings and such as that? I pray not but the damn illegals have brought this on the law abiding Hispanic citizens who have nothing to do with the illegals or the people who seem to be all for them and open borders.
My take on the matter:

If you were born in this country, you are an AMERICAN, period. No need to justify that to anyone.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
In real life (as opposed to on this forum) I see no impending peril nor do I see many people making threats. I refuse to sign onto any of this "you're with us or you're against us" or "Latinos will fight back and retaliate!" BS - it takes away from my arguments and creates a false sense of tension between Latinos (although this discussion ISN'T ABOUT LATINOS, it's about ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!!!) and others. I just don't see this threatening, hostile atmosphere in real life and see no need to contribute to this doomsday scenario some people portray on the internet.
I imagine the 'nonexistent' illegal alien hostility was the impetus for the "We Can Stop The Hate" campaign and website. One has only to peruse the web and read the comments being left by Americans. The old adage applies: "There is none so blind, as he who will not see."

Quote:
When it comes to immigration reform, however, they no longer are relegated to the fringe. The rhetoric of hate groups, nativists, and vigilantes has taken over the lexicon of the public debate; their policy positions frame the country's political discourse, and their members have infiltrated the media as well as the ranks of those seeking to lead our country. In short, hate and extremists are defining the debate on immigration - and the portrayal of Hispanic Americans - at every level.
We Can Stop The Hate | About This Site (http://www.wecanstopthehate.org/site/page/about_this_site - broken link)

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM

638 posts, read 1,852,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
There are a couple of La razas. There is a radical group out there with that name, but the National Council of La Raza is far from a racist or radical group as some posters on here would like to portray. John McCain and Barack Obama even spoke before them to try to garner their support a few weeks ago.
You are correct, Barack Hussein Obama did address la raza and smeared immigration enforcement (ICE) as terrorists. He made very clear he is in favor of amnesty . . but you can call it, "comprehensive immigration reform".

These are the bad guys according to Barack Hussein Obama, tearing nursing mothers from their babies in the middle of the night.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Why such strong language unless addressing a racist or radical group. The equivalent of his speech is like listening to someone address Nation of Islam, drone . . until the phrase "White Devil" is used. Applause.

If la raza had its way, it would be "hate speech", a criminal offense, to use words like "illegal alien".

Last edited by r601020; 08-13-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,351,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That's really the message being pounded into everyone here.

Just keep in mind, hispanic people are strong willed and fight back. It won't be easy to give those looks of disgust at us, just a warning to all if you take racism to the streets, expect full retaliation. Be very careful about what you do personally with the generalizations taught on this and other forums. Keep it in perspective, most hispanic people are very civilized, nice, pay taxes, work like everyone else here in the US.
So, in order to stop these problems, are you willing to speak out against illegal immigration from SOB?

And, "racism in the streets"? That was the illegals and their supporters, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration