Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,607,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

There was a workable migrant worker plan BEFORE they all started jumping the fence. Bracero Program which could have been UPDATED and REFORMED TO 21st CENTURY STANDARDS if our government was on their job instead of loafing off.

THAT'S MY OPINION.
I've mentioned the "bracero" program before.. but either nobody's HEARD of it, or it doesn't fit today's agenda. It worked. It benefitted employers, and Mexican laborers were eager to 'sign up'. It was neat, clean and simple, and there were no 'false expectations', and no 'anger' as we see now. It did TWO things..it supplied labor where (and when) needed, here in the US..and it supplied 'income" into the Mexican economy. It was subject to the oversight and approved by BOTH governments. THere were plenty of workers who participated year after year, and who were glad to do so.

Why it wouldn't work NOW, is a question nobody wants to 'tackle'...mainly, because I suspect, many of us aren't really interested in "working", as much as we are in being allowed to LIVE HERE, without going through the legal hassle of properly immigrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,520,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm VERY familiar with the "farms" in Carlsbad, CA - right along I-5 - near the outlet mall. The owner of those fields hires only those in country LEGALLY -
also........
Victorvile, Bakersfield,[Riverside,(Rubidouix)aka, West Riverside], Fontana, Rialto, Upland, Ontario,ETC.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,970,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I've mentioned the "bracero" program before.. but either nobody's HEARD of it, or it doesn't fit today's agenda. It worked. It benefitted employers, and Mexican laborers were eager to 'sign up'. It was neat, clean and simple, and there were no 'false expectations', and no 'anger' as we see now. It did TWO things..it supplied labor where (and when) needed, here in the US..and it supplied 'income" into the Mexican economy. It was subject to the oversight and approved by BOTH governments. THere were plenty of workers who participated year after year, and who were glad to do so.

Why it wouldn't work NOW, is a question nobody wants to 'tackle'...mainly, because I suspect, many of us aren't really interested in "working", as much as we are in being allowed to LIVE HERE, without going through the legal hassle of properly immigrating.

Well you know who was against that don't you? The UFW (mostly hispanic), Cesar Chavez's group. They didn't want low-paid foreigners brought in to bring down wages and keep job benefits non-existent.

It was farm workers themselves that wanted that program stopped because they saw it as a way to keep them down. Just like IT people oppose unlimited H1-B visas being given out to bring their wages down.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,970,416 times
Actually -- that might be a good idea. Announce that for all those jobs that are primarily worked by hispanics, we're going to get them some competition from Mexico and they'll just have to compete with Mexicans for their jobs.

The other problem -- there really are not all that many farm worker jobs, less than 2 million total jobs in agriculture and only about 25% of those jobs are held by illegals. The Bracero program was to bring in cheap agricultural workers so it wouldn't really begin to accomodate the illegals currently here.

Mechanization was one reason the Braceros were no longer needed, and the UFW was another because they worked to get the program closed.

Fight in the Fields - UNITED FARMWORKERS UNION | PBS

Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,281,539 times
I have a sneaking suspicion of Chavez were alive today-------he would likely be in tight with the Minutemen

Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,104,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion of Chavez were alive today-------he would likely be in tight with the Minutemen
No offense but that does not speak highly of him.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,274,286 times
I have a feeling that Mach50 doesn't like black people. Illegal immigrants are taking jobs away from mostly BLACK AMERICANS. Mach50 most likely has a hidden, racist agenda to make it seem otherwise.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,149,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I have a feeling that Mach50 doesn't like black people. Illegal immigrants are taking jobs away from mostly BLACK AMERICANS. Mach50 most likely has a hidden, racist agenda to make it seem otherwise.
It's pretty silly to say that illegal immigrants are taking strictly one races jobs. Who is this affecting? Manual laboring Americans. Race has nothing to do with this, as immigration as a whole has nothing to do with race either.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,274,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
It's pretty silly to say that illegal immigrants are taking strictly one races jobs. Who is this affecting? Manual laboring Americans. Race has nothing to do with this, as immigration as a whole has nothing to do with race either.
Actually, read the book 'State of Emergency'. It is based on illegal immigration and it is affecting black Americans the hardest.

And the vast majority of the immigrants coming into the U.S. lately have not been black.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,149,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Actually, read the book 'State of Emergency'. It is based on illegal immigration and it is affecting black Americans the hardest.

Then that book is based on complete BS. Race has nothing to do with this. It is America's laboring class who's suffering, despite their color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration