Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,696,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Jerry Spencer had an idea after Alabama's tough new law against illegal immigration scared Hispanic workers out of the tomato fields northeast of Birmingham: Recruit unemployed U.S. citizens to do the work, give them free transportation and pay them to pick the fruit and clean the fields.
After two weeks, Spencer said Monday, the experiment is a failure. Jobless resident Americans lack the physical stamina and the mental toughness to see the job through, he said, and there's not much of a chance a new state program to fill the jobs will fare better.
Gov. Robert Bentley has called such claims "almost insulting" to Alabamians. The new program has signed up about 200 people who want to work, but so far only one employer has sought one worker, the administration said.
Americans will not do those jobs for meager pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,588,195 times
Quote:
The new program has signed up about 200 people who want to work, but so far only one employer has sought one worker, the administration said.
The employers certainly don't appear to be interested in hiring legal workers, do they?

Where's the link?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,696,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The employers certainly don't appear to be interested in hiring legal workers, do they?

Where's the link?

Alabama Immigration Law: Experiment To Replace Workers With Unemployed Coming Up Short

Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 AM

I always take these stories with a grain of salt. After all, why would those with a preference for cheap labor actually want to employ legal workers? Of course they'll claim legal workers won't do the work. These crooks remind me of plantation owners whining because they were losing their free slave labor. They too, claimed the work could ONLY be performed by the African slaves. It was also their contention that without those robust slaves, the U.S. economy would collapse. Clearly, they were wrong.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,876,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Americans will not do those jobs for meager pay.
So raise the pay! Why is that such a bad idea?

Instead the pro-illegal side would have us believe that we should just import lots of low skilled non-English speakers. The problem is that illegals cost us money. It is not cheap to import a low skilled worker here. Once here they pay little if anything in taxes and require all sorts of taxpayer support such as health care and paid interpreters because they're too dumb and lazy to learn English.

Hardly "cheap" labor.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,005,305 times
Misleading headline. Of course Americans are not going to pick fruit for a living, those types of jobs were always held by slaves and then by recent immigrants who spoke no English. Fruit picking jobs are perfect for students who are backpacking through the country or for legal immigrants who just arrived and are looking for quick work that doesn't require language skills.

Now, how about all of those construction and landscaping jobs that used to provide middle-class wages for Americans but are now offered to illegals for low under-the-table pay? How many Americans would love to have those jobs back? Whole different story there.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Clearly, there's a double standard. When Americans don't want to pick crops, it's usually attributed to laziness. Yet, most illegals (97%) are also not doing that work. But, somehow their decision to choose other jobs isn't considered laziness. Hmmm. . .

Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times
And to reiterate for the umpteenth time even though not many Americans will pick crops for a living there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal immigrant crop pickers. So what excuse do the Alabama farmers or any other farmers have for hiring cheap illegals instead? It's called greed. It has nothing to do with Americans being lazy.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,474,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Misleading headline. Of course Americans are not going to pick fruit for a living, those types of jobs were always held by slaves and then by recent immigrants who spoke no English. Fruit picking jobs are perfect for students who are backpacking through the country or for legal immigrants who just arrived and are looking for quick work that doesn't require language skills.

Now, how about all of those construction and landscaping jobs that used to provide middle-class wages for Americans but are now offered to illegals for low under-the-table pay? How many Americans would love to have those jobs back? Whole different story there.

Thank you thank you thank you. Found that out last summer when we had a huge remodeling task done, and additions.

Of course my contractor, the idiot, was legal, and told me upfront that his workers were also. Turned out to be such a lie, infact, i almost reported him, by taking pictures of him, paying the illegal workers in my backyard.

They did not know how to put wallboard up correctly, texture, correctly, paint, a kid could do better, tile, nope, they screwed it up. Roofing ,electrical, it was a joke. Nothing they did was right. I finally asked him one day, i want to see all of the workers I.D. and do you have inusrance on them. If not they need to go, and i told him of the pictures i took of him.

These fools, not going to speak for all illegal workers, but these clowns, could not do one freaking thing right. Me and contractor never got along after what he tried to pull.

I soon got a all new American crew, legally all of them, and you could tell by the work ethics, they knew how to do things right.

We just did not get along though me and him and my family, so at the end he walked, and we finished the rest of our project, and with the inspectors past with flying colors.

Never again, will i ever trust another contractor. Things got done, but not easy, and not a pleasant experience.

So tell me how much does a contractor really save on a job, to save a buck, when in the long run, the project ended up costing him so much more money. They did not know what they were doing, so he had to buy materials to replace what they screwed up. Costing him more money out of his pocket.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,876,452 times
Some idiot went to install appliances in our house. He spoke a handful of words of English. I sincerely doubt he was legal. It took us a week to get the appliances installed correctly because the idiot could not communicate in English nor could he figure out how to fix the minor connection problem. They finally sent someone who spoke English and was probably not an illegal with a junior high school school education. He fixed the problem in less than fifteen minutes.

I do not understand why anyone would assume that most illegals are capable of much of anything at all, let alone skilled labor. Less than half have a high school diploma. Poorly educated criminals are not usually most people's first choice for employees. I see no reason to welcome them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration