Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,404,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Illegals haven't that's for darn sure.
And neither have ethnocentric Hispanic-Americans who are advocates for these illegal aliens earned my respect.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,347,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Illegals haven't that's for darn sure.
I didn't ask you, I asked another member. I wasn't asking about illegals but about Latinos.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,544,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I know that Spanish from Spain or even Mexico City is diferent than the Spanglish stuff from places like TJ. The first accent is music to my ears. The second, nasty.
Continental (Castillian) Spanish is absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,544,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I didn't ask you, I asked another member. I wasn't asking about illegals but about Latinos.
Don't you think it's rather stupid for "La Raza" to demand "respect" for some amorphous term called "Latino"?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,863,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Don't you think it's rather stupid for "La Raza" to demand "respect" for some amorphous term called "Latino"?
it would be absolutely stupid to demand "respect"...but that is not the case. The inititive was to ask lawmakers to sign a "pledge" of respect

While we do not expect everyone to always agree with our positions, we ask that each and every member of Congress pledge to:
1. Acknowledge that Latinos make economic, civic, and cultural contributions to our communities and to the nation.

2. Engage in civil discourse and publicly oppose irresponsible rhetoric that dehumanizes and scapegoats Latinos, exploiting xenophobia for political gain.

3. Take a solutions-oriented, fact-based approach to evaluating public policy options for solving our nation’s most pressing problems.

4. Meet with advocates and leaders from the Hispanic nonprofit and business communities to hear a Latino perspective on the issues and to find areas of common ground based on our shared values and interests.

I endorse this pledge:

I dont see many "demands" here.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:54 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,404,679 times
I don't know of any member of congress that doesn't do all those things already for every ethnic group of CITIZENS or legal immigrants in this country.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM

385 posts, read 726,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Respect is earned. How about showing respect for our country by obeying our laws. Note how they attempt to make this a “Latino” issue, when the real issue is massive illegal immigration. I suppose they expect us to give illegal aliens a free pass, simply because the majority of illegals are Latino.

Leftist Group La Raza Demands Congress Sign ‘Pledge for Respect’ for Latinos | The Blaze
Kinda lame, since it says Latino and your saying all latinos are illegal. Not all latinos are for immigration just so you know, we are split as well.

I believe the pledge is for obvious purposes as well as others. A small example would be paintings of the Alamo just being whites, while Mexicans fought in it as well, not just on the Mexican side.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,670,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
Kinda lame, since it says Latino and your saying all latinos are illegal. Not all latinos are for immigration just so you know, we are split as well.

I believe the pledge is for obvious purposes as well as others. A small example would be paintings of the Alamo just being whites, while Mexicans fought in it as well, not just on the Mexican side.
Wrong! I challenge you to find one post in which I have stated that ALL Latinos are illegal. No, I said the majority of illegals are Latino. BIG difference. I am also well aware of the existence of anti-illegal Latinos. In fact, some are regular posters on this forum.

Lame is when one makes baseless accusations.

The pledge is nonsense. Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants are afforded the same rights and privileges as other ethnic groups. On the other hand, illegal aliens of any race/ethnicity have earned our disdain, and have certainly done nothing to deserve respect.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 PM

385 posts, read 726,159 times
Quote:
Wrong! I challenge you to find one post in which I have stated that ALL Latinos are illegal. No, I said the majority of illegals are Latino. BIG difference. I am also well aware of the existence of anti-illegal Latinos. In fact, some are regular posters on this forum.

The pledge is nonsense. Hispanic citizens and legal immigrants are afforded the same rights and privileges as other ethnic groups. On the other hand, illegal aliens of any race/ethnicity have earned our disdain, and have certainly done nothing to deserve respect.
I did find a post, and I qouted it. You posted a link about a group asking for respect, no on legal status but on race.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,863,815 times
Quote:

You may be right, The pledge may be nonsense, it may be that all memebers of congress already believe and practice the precepts of the pledge... so where did the "demanding" happen?[rhetorical]

You correctly point out that all races and groups enjoy equal protection under the law; and, you go on to state, that illegal aliens have earned distain.

That may be the case, but if illegal immigration is an American problem, and we are asking American lawmakers to make changes...should they also hold illegals in distain? Or should they explore and discuss issues and and solutions with an open and informed mind. No matter the outcome of the law; whether it be punitive or benificial.

Distain is fine for this forum, but not a good practice for our nation's lawmakers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration