Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 03:32 AM

5,519 posts, read 6,242,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
That's not true. Where are you getting this stuff from?

The product planners expected to be selling 15,000 Telluride's and Palisade's per month. That is what they initially signed up for with their suppliers. A month or two ago Hyundai/Kia cut the order to 12,000 per month. (I know this because my friend is a Purchasing Manager for one OEM and those suppliers were calling the other OEM's to try to fill unused capacity that Hyundai/Kia cancelled on them. This was for electrical components.) Hyundai/Kia have to pay a penalty on the piece costs of those 12,000 units they are now buying to make up for cancelling some orders.

The Telluride sold 6,400 units in August and the Palisade sold 5,115. That is a total of 11,515, far short of their initial 15,000 monthly goal.

Since the release the Telluride is averaging 5,645/month and the Palisade is at 4,789/month for a total of 10,434/month. Again, far short of the 15K/month goal and also well short of their current 12,000 per month commitment to their suppliers.

Don't see anything game changing about this - at all. Especially when they are cannibalizing their own products as Sorrento & Santa Fe sales have dropped 20% in the past few months.
Your sales numbers are spot on, just about on what others are saying.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/427...ew-car-segment

The difference being they auto pundits are saying the monthly Sorrento sales drop of about 1000 units, is offset by the 6000 unit sales of Tellurides and therefore a net gain of 5000 units per month and all of the gain is with a more profitable 3rd row seater.

Another interesting article from Korea:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech...19_267908.html

Old 09-05-2019, 05:02 AM

7,513 posts, read 7,339,432 times
In the third month of Palisade retail sales, Hyundai's flagship SUV continued to exceed expectations with significant customer demand resulting in more than 5,000 retail unit sales.

Hyundai SUVs set their all-time August total sales record, selling 36,347 units and growing 31% compared with August 2018. Santa Fe sales (not including Santa Fe XL) were up 8% and Kona sales increased by 34%, which included the best monthly total ever for Kona EV sales. Tucson also established a new August record, gaining 21% and Hyundai's flagship premium three-row Palisade SUV continued to turn quickly as more inventory reached Hyundai dealers with a 15% increase compared with last month, July 2019.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:59 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,968,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
In the third month of Palisade retail sales, Hyundai's flagship SUV continued to exceed expectations with significant customer demand resulting in more than 5,000 retail unit sales.

Hyundai SUVs set their all-time August total sales record, selling 36,347 units and growing 31% compared with August 2018. Santa Fe sales (not including Santa Fe XL) were up 8% and Kona sales increased by 34%, which included the best monthly total ever for Kona EV sales. Tucson also established a new August record, gaining 21% and Hyundai's flagship premium three-row Palisade SUV continued to turn quickly as more inventory reached Hyundai dealers with a 15% increase compared with last month, July 2019.
Again, who says they are exceeding expectations? You just typed a sentence without stating a source.
Certainly not people inside Hyundai/Kia. In my part of the country there are tons of them sitting on dealer lots just like every other vehicle, no more or no less.

As far as overall SUV sales going up - OK, I get that, but that is normal when you start adding new models. Lincoln and Cadillac are also going through upswings and darn near everyone is showing big gains in SUV sales.

Plus, when you have to pay for FOUR vehicles that essentially operate in the same segment (Telluride, Palisade, Santa Fe & Sorrento) that really hits the bottom line hard compared to someone like Honda/Acura who only have 2 models competing there. (MDX & Pilot. MDX is really supposed to be a "luxury" model above all the others but in reality it's just an expensive, better looking Pilot.) You have to sell A LOT more than your competition to make that pay off and Honda (and others) still outsell all 4 of those Hyundia/Kia trucks combined.

Look, these are nice vehicles - I'm not saying they are junk or anything. But you are the one who called them GAMECHANGING in big CAPS and talking like they are the next F-150 program or something. They are a typical run of the mill SUV - nothing more. (And that's not a negative....nothing wrong with that.)

Last edited by iamweasel; 09-05-2019 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-05-2019, 12:21 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,211,040 times
Quote:
Again, who says they are exceeding expectations? You just typed a sentence without stating a source.
Certainly not people inside Hyundai/Kia. In my part of the country there are tons of them sitting on dealer lots just like every other vehicle, no more or no less.

As far as overall SUV sales going up - OK, I get that, but that is normal when you start adding new models. Lincoln and Cadillac are also going through upswings and darn near everyone is showing big gains in SUV sales.

Plus, when you have to pay for FOUR vehicles that essentially operate in the same segment (Telluride, Palisade, Santa Fe & Sorrento) that really hits the bottom line hard compared to someone like Honda/Acura who only have 2 models competing there. (MDX & Pilot. MDX is really supposed to be a "luxury" model above all the others but in reality it's just an expensive, better looking Pilot.) You have to sell A LOT more than your competition to make that pay off and Honda (and others) still outsell all 4 of those Hyundia/Kia trucks combined.

Look, these are nice vehicles - I'm not saying they are junk or anything. But you are the one who called them GAMECHANGING in big CAPS and talking like they are the next F-150 program or something. They are a typical run of the mill SUV - nothing more. (And that's not a negative....nothing wrong with that.)
To make them really game changing they will have the 3.3TT as a top end powertrain option and offer a Hybrid as well to go agaisnt the Highlander Hybrid and they can literally challenge anyone.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,720,401 times
Quote:

It's like talking to a wall. I wouldn't be surprised if movin2Reston is a Hyundai/Kia salesman.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,934,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
Just still waiting patiently for someone to explain to me what is game changing about these vehicles. If it's going to turn into a butthurt fest of people trying to justify their automotive choices, perhaps the thread should be closed. I'll ask again, what is game changing about this vehicle, and why was it outsold by the Hyundai Elantra 2:1?
It’s game changing because Kia Hyundai never had a real luxury type SUV. I guarantee that Genesis will get a gussied up version of these SUVs maybe even a V8.

How many of those Honda sedans do you think are bought by rental fleets? I personally don’t know anyone who wants a sedan anymore. Not one person. Most want SUVs .

Our current SUV has third row seats. I seriously can’t remember ever actually using them.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:46 PM

5,519 posts, read 6,242,620 times
Quote:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
(And that's not a negative....nothing wrong with that.)
Sentence without a source, you mean like that "tons of them sentence" A ton is 2000 lbs. so more than one would be tons of them. Unless you are talking about 2000 or more Telluride/Palisades on dealer lots. A quick check with Autotrader, shows 670 Palisades within 500 miles of me and 497 Tellurides, still short of tons of them.

The same parameters show well over 13,000+ Highlanders, 9,000+ 4-Runners, I got bored there and didn't check other SUVs, sorry.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 PM

9,613 posts, read 7,050,046 times
Damn, didn’t expect this thread to be so controversial. It’s funny that some people think gas mileage and power is all people want. Not like say a luxury 3 row suv for under $50k

Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,802,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s game changing because Kia Hyundai never had a real luxury type SUV. I guarantee that Genesis will get a gussied up version of these SUVs maybe even a V8.

How many of those Honda sedans do you think are bought by rental fleets? I personally don’t know anyone who wants a sedan anymore. Not one person. Most want SUVs .

Our current SUV has third row seats. I seriously can’t remember ever actually using them.
there are really only like 3 SUV's left. the grand cherokee, the 4runner, and the GM twins (yukon and tahoe). everything else is a lifted wagon or a lifted minivan. the genesis won't get the V8. they'll put the 3.3 twin turbo in. it should be an interesting vehicle. wouldn't mind taking a look at one once depreciation sets in. how many accords are bought by rental fleets? about as many as CRV's and other honda vehicles. plenty of people want sedans, they just don't want boring ones. there will always be a market for things like civics and elantras, because not everyone is dumb enough to spend $50k on a minivan, and they need a vehicle that gets 30+ mpg for their commute.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:16 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,968,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Honda sells far less to rental fleets than any other OEM. Bad example....

They are the best OEM at protecting their brand value and not dumping cars into rental fleets when they need a sales bump.

And I'm not some Honda lover, either. I hate them....but I respect the way they protect their brand. Toyota and Nissan are more than willing to dump a bunch of cars into rental fleets.

And as far as sedans go I have 3 of them in my garage so I guess I'm an oddball. But there is no doubt sedan sales are dropping everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia