Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,772,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I don't think driving is only about speed and performance. I currently own Elantras, a mid sized SUV, trucks, a z06 and have previously owned many sedans both domestic and foreign, along with several mid 60's "Lucas, the prince of darkness" sport vehicles. I enjoy them all for various reasons.
I'm not sure why anyone would call any current SUV on the market a game changer.
The only reason I could possibly give for the Palisades/Telluride is because they may well be a game changer for their respective manufacturer that hasn't been in this larger SUV market on such an upscale platform to this point.

Pointing specifically to the quoted article, I believe people read what they want to read and take from that article the points that best defend choices and opinions.

Speaking of sporty sedans and SUVs I own a QX50. 325 HP and moderate handling. A friend has a bone stock Miata that handles like a large roller skate. Getting from point A to point B on a certain mountain road here in western NC I simply overpower him on the climb regardless of the twistys. Another friend owns an S2000..... no comparison, the S2000 rules, he also owns a Genesis sedan. It runs neck and neck with the QX50.
Yes, I am a driving enthusiast that admittedly violates the posted speed limit on occasion (not as frequently as my younger years, but once it's in the blood......). That label means I enjoy a variety of vehicles for what they offer, including a segment of the SUV population.
Infinity is not a mainstream manufacturer. They are a luxury company. Mercedes and BMW make fast sporty SUVs as well. I'm talking for what most people can afford and what most people buy. The article didn't address a few things though. The price of gas will go up again, and they still sell a lot of sedans. Ford gave up on them because they never invested too much time or money into making them competitive. I will reiterate my point about the Accord. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 30-35 mpg, 40 inches of legroom and 16-17 cubic feet of trunk space. There will always be a market for that type of vehicle. Especially when they are making them as well as they are now. There really aren't any mainstream sporty entries in the SUV market. Maybe for Ford Edge ST. But that's like $15-20k more than the Accord, slower, and gets 1/2 the fuel economy.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 AM

What I think would be "game changing" in the segment of mainstream crossovers is for Hyundai to offer the N version of the Sante Fe or Tuscon. Or for honda to put the 2.0 from the Accord into the CR-V. Or for Toyota to put the V6 from the camary into the RAV4.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:38 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,161,265 times
Game Changer will be the offering of a sliding 3rd row as well, so one could choose comfort for a short in town trip or cargo space for a longer trip.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Game Changer will be the offering of a sliding 3rd row as well, so one could choose comfort for a short in town trip or cargo space for a longer trip.
You're basically describing a minivan.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
You're basically describing a minivan.
Agreed, but since most Americans refuse to be seen in those, even though they are much for practical for 3 rows of passengers, that feature in a 3rd row would make a 3row crossover more appealing and functional.

I dont like SUV's so if i have another child and have to get one, I might as well get a 3row, to have a 3rd for for emergency than not have one at all.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Agreed, but since most Americans refuse to be seen in those, even though they are much for practical for 3 rows of passengers, that feature in a 3rd row would make a 3row crossover more appealing and functional.

I dont like SUV's so if i have another child and have to get one, I might as well get a 3row, to have a 3rd for for emergency than not have one at all.
If you're going to go with a 3 row SUV, get a Tahoe or something. Those small crossovers with the third row are terrible. The third row hampers practicality quite a bit.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:10 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,109,215 times
Quote:
What I think would be "game changing" in the segment of mainstream crossovers is for Hyundai to offer the N version of the Sante Fe or Tuscon. Or for honda to put the 2.0 from the Accord into the CR-V. Or for Toyota to put the V6 from the camary into the RAV4.
A point could be taken that your argument for affordability is in conflict with your "game changing" definition of mainstream crossovers.

I would put forth that our little QX50 is as affordable as many fully equipped small-mid size. I can't exactly remember, but I think we paid between 35 and 40 for it back in '15.

I will agree with you about it not being mainstream, but that's only because of the number sold, not necessarily the price. Extrapolating your definition, mainstream would also leave out Lexus, Acura, Genesis, etc. correct?

Old 09-04-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
If you're going to go with a 3 row SUV, get a Tahoe or something. Those small crossovers with the third row are terrible. The third row hampers practicality quite a bit.
Traverse and Telluride are the only 2 I think I could tolerate, but being 6ft3in, I wouldn't sit back there anyways. An Expedition might be the most comfortable 3rd row Ive ever been in. Makes you wonder if they just stuck car engines in old SUV's instead of replacing them with heavier Crossover vehicles, what kind of mileage they would have got.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:57 PM

7,510 posts, read 7,244,832 times
Looks like both the Palisade and Telluride exceeded sales expectations for August 2019.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:57 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,946,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Looks like both the Palisade and Telluride exceeded sales expectations for August 2019.
That's not true. Where are you getting this stuff from?

The product planners expected to be selling 15,000 Telluride's and Palisade's per month. That is what they initially signed up for with their suppliers. A month or two ago Hyundai/Kia cut the order to 12,000 per month. (I know this because my friend is a Purchasing Manager for one OEM and those suppliers were calling the other OEM's to try to fill unused capacity that Hyundai/Kia cancelled on them. This was for electrical components.) Hyundai/Kia have to pay a penalty on the piece costs of those 12,000 units they are now buying to make up for cancelling some orders.

The Telluride sold 6,400 units in August and the Palisade sold 5,115. That is a total of 11,515, far short of their initial 15,000 monthly goal.

Since the release the Telluride is averaging 5,645/month and the Palisade is at 4,789/month for a total of 10,434/month. Again, far short of the 15K/month goal and also well short of their current 12,000 per month commitment to their suppliers.

Don't see anything game changing about this - at all. Especially when they are cannibalizing their own products as Sorrento & Santa Fe sales have dropped 20% in the past few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia