Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 PM

240 posts, read 453,368 times

Advertisements

so there were no minorities in fort bend county either? i didnt know all incomes could stay near each other in houston back then. so the middle, upper, etc AA, asian, and hispanic stayed in the inner city neighborhoods in houston? im glad the education thing was brought up cause i was going to ask if texas am, ut austin, university of houston accepted minorities back then and if any got STEM jobs like everyone else( science, technology, engineering, math)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,234,622 times
more segregated by money now instead of race....but whites are moving into 3rd ward and driving values up. However, they're not going to contribute to the area in terms of public schooling, little leagues, etc.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,972,924 times
I don't know. Houston seems fairly segregated to me.
Second Ward-Hispanic
Third Ward-Black
Fifth Ward-Black
Northside-Hispanic
Montrose-White
River Oaks-White

The Heights doesn't seem so segregated, and Eastwood is getting better. A lot of the nieghborhoods right outside the loop seem a little more integrated.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,446,793 times
Isn't there a race based "heat map" that floats around on this board from time to time? It shows little dots to represent different races on a map of Houston. I think it shows that Houston is something like the LEAST segregated major city in the US.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,974,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Somewhat. Anywhere in the South is.
Northern cities are far more segregated than the South. You can still find white ethnic neighborhoods i the North (Italian, Jewish, Irish, etc.).

Northerners like to talk about how tolerant they are while they are barricaded in their lily-white neighborhoods.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,732,872 times
Houston is remarkably integrated geographically--you are likely to encounter many people from many races and cultures in many areas of town. However, it is as segregated economically as any place I've seen, and this is an important distinction. While the lack of zoning may mean that there are tiny apartments and tract homes right next to McMansions, the amount of wealth here is predominantly held by white people. (disclaimer: I am white and have very little money)

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM

7,896 posts, read 11,455,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Can't remember which NY oil company moved a bunch of folks here to their newly built building back in the 60's. I think it was Humble. That started it. That was about the same time Champions was started. By the mid 70's the 1960 area was growing fast. Sugar Creek was growing fast by the early 80's, IIRC. The Woodlands and Kingwood got going in the early 70's. Most all the suburbs around any Big Town, USA were white flight.

We had a biracial baby in the mid 70's. We brought him to Texas at Thanksgiving. Some relatives shunned us, most were way nicer than they'd ever been before.

If there were any noticeable minorities at Spring high school it had to be just a few. My kid volunteered to host an exchange student in 1980. Her school friends were shocked that she could have that person live in her home. I think the kids were pretty much OK with everybody, but the parents took a while to adjust.

DH got out of college in the mid 60's. A friend who was in most of his engineering classes was not hired like everybody else. Most had a job by the beginning of the spring semester of their senior year. He got a job driving a truck until he could save the money to move north. There were tons of Iranian and Syrian students, everywhere.
Shell is the one who moved to Houston from NY in the 60's.

Humble was always a Texas oil company, bought by Standard of NJ after they missed out on Spindletop and the Tx oil boom. At some point Standard of NJ moved its domestic operations to Houston, I believe it was about the time period you mentioned. The villages were called by some "Yankee Stadium" as many of the transplants moved to the incorporated memorial villages on large lots which were wooded and had a rural feel back then. I believe these large lots were referred to as a memorial acre, not quite an acre but large lots... you are correct about the suburbs. IIRC, westheimer turned into a dirt road out around Fondren when I first came down.

I lived in Houston from 70 -75 then again from 83-2010. I noticed major changes in the city residents backgrounds over that time... Houston was a southern small city in 70 compared to today.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM

405 posts, read 825,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
However, the Dallas metro is still segregated compared to Houston. The majority of the black population living on the southern half of the area. The most integrated part of Dallas would be Arlington. Yes, Dallas has its ethnic neighborhoods, but that's still segregation.
See, I don't think it's fair to say that Dallas is "segregated" because the different groups of diverse people in Dallas lives in their own areas, because you can even go to cities like New York and San Francisco that are full of diversity and the same thing is true, probably even more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Houston's ethnic neighborhoods are mixed in with integrated communities.
The only thing that keeps diverse groups of people from settling mostly into their own enclaves like in most other extremely multi-racial/multi-ethnic cities across America like New York, San Francisco, Dallas, etc. is the fact that Houston has no zoning, so different groups of people seem more "integrated" due to the way Houston is set up.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
A lot of the segregation that you see now is somewhat self segregation in that people sometimes just preferred to live among their own race or ethnicity without holding any racial prejudices. Not all but some make it more of a personal choice

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,383,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
A lot of the segregation that you see now is somewhat self segregation in that people sometimes just preferred to live among their own race or ethnicity without holding any racial prejudices. Not all but some make it more of a personal choice
Actually,
it's because of culture and language, not because of race

My first language is Spanish and I have very little in common with Mexicans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston