Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The Northern burbs of Houston arent diverse in the slightest (The Woodlands, Conroe, Humble, etc.). They are every bit as not diverse as Frisco and Little Elm on the northern reaches of Dallas.
You don't think Little Elm is diverse? That's odd, because I felt it was very diverse when I lived there until recently. There were many black, hispanic, and white families in the neighborhood I lived in. Not many asian families though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Arlington is about as diverse as Humble.
Right LOL

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,083 times
Houston's segregated by class, not so much by race, imo.

Dallas? Hahahahahaha... there's some color in those northern neighborhoods nowadays, moreso than even 10 or 15 years ago. So I guess that can be called progress?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Houston's segregated by class, not so much by race, imo.

Dallas? Hahahahahaha... there's some color in those northern neighborhoods nowadays, moreso than even 10 or 15 years ago. So I guess that can be called progress?
I live in North Dallas by the Galleria. I highly doubt white is even the most common race here any more (at least not in my neighborhood). Hispanic probably is, but there are also alot of younger black couples and families here too. Across the street is a black church. And this is all in Far North Dallas by the galleria.

Look at Richardson. Spring Valley between Hillcrest and 75 turned into a Xerox of something out of Mexico.

Plano's Hispanic and Asian percentages are shooting up while its white percentage is falling fast.

East Collin county and Little Elm are becoming very popular for black families too.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
The Galleria area in Dallas has always beenthat way though. That's the area where more minorities in North Dallas lived. Dallas is still pretty segregated, by race and class, but it is changing.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Dallas is still pretty segregated, by race and class, but it is changing.
Yeah, The City Dallas has been starting gentrification in some areas over the last decade.

The city of Houston started that alot earlier which is the main reason why Houston is more "diverse" now as people on here like to call it.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times
Dallas is way segregated compared to houston

Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM

240 posts, read 452,219 times
what about the time pre-1980s in Houston? did any minorities live in the suburbs, have good paying jobs like doctor, engineer, nurse, accountant, etc., go to school with whites? were their any noticeable biracial or multiracial people? i never been to houston but ive read its a multicultural melting pot but ive have always wondered how long it has been like this.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee9mee9 View Post
what about the time pre-1980s in Houston? did any minorities live in the suburbs, have good paying jobs like doctor, engineer, nurse, accountant, etc., go to school with whites? were their any noticeable biracial or multiracial people? i never been to houston but ive read its a multicultural melting pot but ive have always wondered how long it has been like this.
There weren't really any suburbs back then. Sugar Land was a tiny little town and Katy may as well have been halfway to San Antonio.

And the creative geniuses hadn't even formulated the idea of "Hey, we could just replace "Sugar" with a fruit and call it the same thing!"

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Can't remember which NY oil company moved a bunch of folks here to their newly built building back in the 60's. I think it was Humble. That started it. That was about the same time Champions was started. By the mid 70's the 1960 area was growing fast. Sugar Creek was growing fast by the early 80's, IIRC. The Woodlands and Kingwood got going in the early 70's. Most all the suburbs around any Big Town, USA were white flight.

We had a biracial baby in the mid 70's. We brought him to Texas at Thanksgiving. Some relatives shunned us, most were way nicer than they'd ever been before.

If there were any noticeable minorities at Spring high school it had to be just a few. My kid volunteered to host an exchange student in 1980. Her school friends were shocked that she could have that person live in her home. I think the kids were pretty much OK with everybody, but the parents took a while to adjust.

DH got out of college in the mid 60's. A friend who was in most of his engineering classes was not hired like everybody else. Most had a job by the beginning of the spring semester of their senior year. He got a job driving a truck until he could save the money to move north. There were tons of Iranian and Syrian students, everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston