Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGreenMan View Post
Is Houston segregated?
Compared to places like Dallas or the NE. No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Compared to places like Dallas or the NE. No.
I wouldnt say Dallas is segregated either. You can find segregated neighborhoods and suburbs, but overall it certainly doesnt feel that way at all. Check out Walnut road in Garland that has Korean, Vietnamese, and Mexican markets all next door to each other. Or the area just north of the Galleria. Tons of different kinds of people. Or Plano, which now has the largest Asian population in the DFW metroplex (city proper) and the 2nd largest in the Southern States outside of Houston (by sheer numbers, not percentages). Carrollton has tons of Korean churches right next to english speaking ones. Then there is Koreatown which is surrounded by Mexican/Salvadoran businesses to the South and Las Collinas on the west. Las Collinas is home to a whole lot Indian owned businesses. Irving as a city has the highest percentage of foreign born residents in the Metroplex at 37% split between Mexico, El Salvador, and India. DFW is also home to the 6th largest Indian community in the states after NYC, Chicago, The Bay Area, DC, and LA. Yet there really isnt one Indian community. They are spread out amongst cities like Carrollton, Richardson, Irving, and Plano. The Fort Worth side of the Metroplex might be more segregated (outside Arlington), but the Dallas side isnt at all outside a few inner city neighborhoods.

Maybe 20 years ago it was, but not now.

This wasnt my way of saying Dallas is more integrated than Houston, just to despell the myth that Dallas is segreated.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I wouldnt say Dallas is segregated either. You can find segregated neighborhoods and suburbs, but overall it certainly doesnt feel that way at all. Check out Walnut road in Garland that has Korean, Vietnamese, and Mexican markets all next door to each other. Or the area just north of the Galleria. Tons of different kinds of people. Or Plano, which now has the largest Asian population in the DFW metroplex (city proper) and the 2nd largest in the Southern States outside of Houston (by sheer numbers, not percentages). Carrollton has tons of Korean churches right next to english speaking ones. Then there is Koreatown which is surrounded by Mexican/Salvadoran businesses to the South and Las Collinas on the west. Las Collinas is home to a whole lot Indian owned businesses. Irving as a city has the highest percentage of foreign born residents in the Metroplex at 37% split between Mexico, El Salvador, and India. DFW is also home to the 6th largest Indian community in the states after NYC, Chicago, The Bay Area, DC, and LA. Yet there really isnt one Indian community. They are spread out amongst cities like Carrollton, Richardson, Irving, and Plano. The Fort Worth side of the Metroplex might be more segregated (outside Arlington), but the Dallas side isnt at all outside a few inner city neighborhoods.

Maybe 20 years ago it was, but not now.

This wasnt my way of saying Dallas is more integrated than Houston, just to despell the myth that Dallas is segreated.
1) Having all sorts of ethnic restaurants and neighb9orhoods doesn't make a place more integrated.

2) Despite all of what you said, it doesn't make me feel any better about even visiting - much less moving - to Dallas. Conveniently, you left out describing how the one race that I'm a part of is integrated in the DFW Metroplex, which leads me to still believe Houston is more integrated and welcoming of a person with my skin color more than Dallas. Not to say that Dallas is the worst place, but still, a person of my race needs to consider their options very carefully, even in this....no, especially in the socially regressive 2000s.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
1) Having all sorts of ethnic restaurants and neighb9orhoods doesn't make a place more integrated.

2) Despite all of what you said, it doesn't make me feel any better about even visiting - much less moving - to Dallas. Conveniently, you left out describing how the one race that I'm a part of is integrated in the DFW Metroplex, which leads me to still believe Houston is more integrated and welcoming of a person with my skin color more than Dallas. Not to say that Dallas is the worst place, but still, a person of my race needs to consider their options very carefully, even in this....no, especially in the socially regressive 2000s.
I was just giving examples. I dont know which race you are apart of so I wouldnt know what to say. If you are African American, then the southern suburbs of Dallas are extremely integrated with middle class african americans, hispanics, and whites. I dont know if there are many Asians down there. Thats just one example. If you are hispanic, then you wouldnt have to worry about anything because Hispanics are 1/3 of the population of the Metroplex and they are everywhere. Since on the whole, African-Americans seem to prefer Houston, (if you are one) you very well may like it better there.

Im not trying to say Dallas is more integrated than Houston. Heres the difference. Houston has been integrated for years. Dallas just got to that point about 20 years ago. But because of its late start The Metroplex has had to strive harder to get what Houston has had and theyve done a damn good job.

If you are reluctant to even visit Dallas because your afriad of how you would be treated because of the color of your skin, you really dont know anything about the place.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
I was just giving examples. I dont know which race you are apart of so I wouldnt know what to say. If you are African American, then the southern suburbs of Dallas are extremely integrated with middle class african americans, hispanics, and whites. I dont know if there are many Asians down there. Thats just one example. If you are hispanic, then you wouldnt have to worry about anything because Hispanics are 1/3 of the population of the Metroplex and they are everywhere. Since on the whole, African-Americans seem to prefer Houston, (if you are one) you very well may like it better there.

Im not trying to say Dallas is more integrated than Houston. Heres the difference. Houston has been integrated for years. Dallas just got to that point about 20 years ago. But because of its late start The Metroplex has had to strive harder to get what Houston has had and theyve done a damn good job.

If you are reluctant to even visit Dallas because your afriad of how you would be treated because of the color of your skin, you really dont know anything about the place.
Sorry if I sounded like an ass back there, but I just wanted to make sure that these places where a lot of people were raving about were integrated, not just diverse. I currently live in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, and for the most part, while it may be "diverse" in numbers, race relations in general - and this especially goes for minorities who don't fit into the stereotype - are mostly pathetic, especially considering that where I am has plenty of high-paying jobs and minorities who are professional and educated. I've heard about how Dallas was fairly segregated (or at least more segregated than the other major cities in Texas), so I just wanted to make sure that either my assumptions were right or if I needed to hear something that would contradict what I've heard.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Sorry if I sounded like an ass back there, but I just wanted to make sure that these places where a lot of people were raving about were integrated, not just diverse. I currently live in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, and for the most part, while it may be "diverse" in numbers, race relations in general - and this especially goes for minorities who don't fit into the stereotype - are mostly pathetic, especially considering that where I am has plenty of high-paying jobs and minorities who are professional and educated. I've heard about how Dallas was fairly segregated (or at least more segregated than the other major cities in Texas), so I just wanted to make sure that either my assumptions were right or if I needed to hear something that would contradict what I've heard.
Dallas is still more segregated than Houston, but that doesnt make Dallas (and DFW on the whole) a segregated place considering very few areas of the US are more integrated than Houston. Again, Dallas was pretty segreated 25 years ago. Now, most areas are pretty integrated.

I grew up in the LA area in the 80's and 90's. Basing it off that, Dallas has excellent race relations. Houston is more laid back than Dallas (in general) so there is more tension between people in general in Dallas (in my opinion). Just like areas of Houston, you will find segreated areas of Dallas. You will also find very integrated areas of Dallas. My neighborhood is very integrated.

I guess my point would be this. Dallas and DFW are changing faster than any other Metro area in the US (yes, moreso than Houston too). Most of these changes are for the better (sans the crime rate, which is going up). This is due to the exponential growth that DFW is getting.

Houston is diverse and (for the most part) integrated, it always has been. Dallas and DFW havent always been diverse or integrated, now it is. Something positive has to be said for the area changing in the right ways so quickly.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Dallas is still more segregated than Houston, but that doesnt make Dallas (and DFW on the whole) a segregated place considering very few areas of the US are more integrated than Houston. Again, Dallas was pretty segreated 25 years ago. Now, most areas are pretty integrated.

I grew up in the LA area in the 80's and 90's. Basing it off that, Dallas has excellent race relations. Houston is more laid back than Dallas (in general) so there is more tension between people in general in Dallas (in my opinion). Just like areas of Houston, you will find segreated areas of Dallas. You will also find very integrated areas of Dallas. My neighborhood is very integrated.

I guess my point would be this. Dallas and DFW are changing faster than any other Metro area in the US (yes, moreso than Houston too). Most of these changes are for the better (sans the crime rate, which is going up). This is due to the exponential growth that DFW is getting.

Houston is diverse and (for the most part) integrated, it always has been. Dallas and DFW havent always been diverse or integrated, now it is. Something positive has to be said for the area changing in the right ways so quickly.
However, the Dallas metro is still segregated compared to Houston. The majority of the black population living on the southern half of the area. The most integrated part of Dallas would be Arlington. Yes, Dallas has its ethnic neighborhoods, but that's still segregation. Houston's ethnic neighborhoods are mixed in with integrated communities.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
However, the Dallas metro is still segregated compared to Houston. The majority of the black population living on the southern half of the area. The most integrated part of Dallas would be Arlington. Yes, Dallas has its ethnic neighborhoods, but that's still segregation. Houston's ethnic neighborhoods are mixed in with integrated communities.
I guess youve never been to Carrollton, Irving, Richardson, or Garland? Garland and Richardson are more integrated than Arlington in my opinion.

Go down Walnut street in Garland, Main Street in Richardson, the area just north of 183 in Irving, or Legacy in Plano and tell me if you still feel that way.

They arent any different than the ethinic neighborhoods Ive been to in Houston except maybe the sizes.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
I went to college in Abilene with a couple of black friends who where from Grapevine.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I guess youve never been to Carrollton, Irving, Richardson, or Garland? Garland and Richardson are more integrated than Arlington in my opinion.

Go down Walnut street in Garland, Main Street in Richardson, the area just north of 183 in Irving, or Legacy in Plano and tell me if you still feel that way.

They arent any different than the ethinic neighborhoods Ive been to in Houston except maybe the sizes.
I've been to all except Carrollton. Arlington seemed the most diverse to me.

When it comes to ethnic neighborhoods in Houston; for example: Chinatown is in one of the most diverse areas in Houston with a large black, white, Asian, and Mexican population. The Mexican population is rapidly increasing the wards (specifically 5th Ward); also the historical black neighborhood like South Park and South Acres have growing Mexican populations as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston