Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,871,100 times

Advertisements

I think the combination of too nice of existing housing stock and a market not ready to support high-end new construction, both keeps Inwood from being a candidate for the kind of new construction activity that is currently building in Oak Forest.

The fate of the golf course, IMO, could have a lot to do with Inwood's future.

As for Sharpstown, I have thought that when gentrification comes there, it will come initially through the stock of mid-century moderns. That's what happened in Glenbrook. This restored MCM on Craigslist has already gotten some buzz on one of the architecture forums.

Cool little Mid-Century Modern for sale (broken link)

Its a good, tasteful modernist house. It would not appeal to those that like the more common current offerings of Tuscan, etc., but there is a strong audience for that type of house. People that flip over something like that. It will probably lure a creative class type out there. It is an example to me of how there is hope for these areas, and how some level of increased interest/values could arrive sooner than you might expect, if we could see more of this type of thing.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 PM

8,899 posts, read 20,128,234 times
How is Garden Villas (between Telephone/Mykawa) holding out?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,871,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
How is Garden Villas (between Telephone/Mykawa) holding out?
Actually fairly well I think. City Councilman James Rodriguez lives there, on Sante Fe. I almost bought a house on that block. A 1928 era Cypress Clad Georgian on a 50,000 sq ft lot. There are some neat houses back there.

They still have the airport noise to contend with, but the neighborhood is so unique the people that live there seem to love it. There aren't many places where you can be however long you think it is from Hobby to downtown, 15 minutes maybe? (I drive fast though), and get a home on a half to over a full acre.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 PM

8,899 posts, read 20,128,234 times
Cool - I was wondering how it was doing back there. Haven't driven through in years. A co-worker lived there for a while - her husband was a pilot.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,412 times
Default Considering Inwood forest Village

I am researching to buy a place. I would like to buy near downtown becasue I believe property values are going to go up as gas prices go up and investment in these properties will be outstanding.
However, my elderly mother lives with me and I want her to be safe. I have been looking at some foreclosures in Inwood Forest. I read someone speak of the hood being on the edge of this area. The home itself looks nice and well kept up, the neighbors seem to have an average income of middle class. Please provide feedback if this area would be worth investng in and safe to live in for the time being.

Thanks so much.
L

Old 06-03-2008, 02:35 PM

19 posts, read 84,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
Where do you guys in IF go grocery shopping? Do you go to the Kroger on 249 or do you go to the Food-A-Rama on Victory? Just curious, as grocery store patronage is one indicator of how strongly people feel about their neighborhood.
I try to go to Food-A-Rama, but their selection is limited. It was much better as Randall's. I also go to the Kroger on Antoine and Tidwell. I also go to the Foodland (or whatever it is now) on Little York and Bingle. If I'm going to really shop, I (or my wife) will go to Kroger on 249. Not because of where it is, but because of selection.

I PREFER the Kroger on Antoine and Tidwell, because it's my neighborhood Kroger.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM

19 posts, read 84,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llyons View Post
I am researching to buy a place. I would like to buy near downtown becasue I believe property values are going to go up as gas prices go up and investment in these properties will be outstanding.
However, my elderly mother lives with me and I want her to be safe. I have been looking at some foreclosures in Inwood Forest. I read someone speak of the hood being on the edge of this area. The home itself looks nice and well kept up, the neighbors seem to have an average income of middle class. Please provide feedback if this area would be worth investng in and safe to live in for the time being.

Thanks so much.
L
I live in the area. If you live in a house, you'll be as safe in IF as you would in just about any other area in Houston (for under $300k dollars!!!). The "hood" is the apartments that surround IF... and I do mean surround... followed by Acres Homes to the east. But you will seldom, if ever, see someone randomly walking down your street who doesn't belong there. My street is great. My neighbors are great. There are retired millionaires (with money that doesn't show up as 'income') and there are new families with kids (like mine). Regular, nice, people.

I'm not a fan of the Aldine ISD, but if you don't have kids, or wouldn't put kids in a city public school anyway, that's not an issue. If you have kids, do some research.

As for investment, it depends. I own a home here and I'm trying to buy more homes here. Some people can deal with "urban" (ie, average incomes, blue collar and white collar families, mixed ethnicities, etc.) and some can't.

I should join the homeowner's association or something. This place could use some marketing and some youth.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,613,118 times
I always think people should park their cars and walk a neighborhood. You meet and talk to the neighbors and figure out if you feel safe there.

A publicized walking tour of any transitional neighborhood could spur a turnover faster.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,271 times
I've just recently moved to Inwood Forest from the Garden Oaks area. I really enjoy the street I'm on...Its been turned into a dead end and the quietness of the evenings are great...Has anyone heard what the latest is on the golf course going or staying?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,635,968 times
Aldine ISD is one reason Inwood Forest will struggle to come back. Aldine is like Alief, a big albatross for a school district that will forever drag down real estate values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston