Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:27 AM

133 posts, read 481,184 times

Advertisements

We love Garden Oaks, those great big lots are wonderful!

So, no word from anyone on the meeting on Thursday?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Impressive work from the Inwood Neighborhood Association

Have you guys seen the new site they came up with? It is very cool and they even have the PowerPoint from the meeting.

The association has really stepped up their game the past few years. It's nice to see...

Check out the presentation, and sign the petition:
Save The Green Space

Last edited by inwood dreams; 08-03-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Have you signed the Inwood Forest Petition?!?!?!?!

Check it out. Help encourage the city to buy the whole course. Sign the petition here:

INWOOD FOREST GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB PROPERTY Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

50 posts, read 203,091 times
is inwood forest still a flood zone?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:39 PM

137 posts, read 284,150 times
I would say so....anytime it rained for more than two to three hours steady and it was time to call the insurance company again...although they have tried to fix the drainage issues so I hope it works out for those who still reside there.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:03 PM

50 posts, read 203,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj007 View Post
I would say so....anytime it rained for more than two to three hours steady and it was time to call the insurance company again...although they have tried to fix the drainage issues so I hope it works out for those who still reside there.
yeah, i thought i heard somewhere that this wasnt a flood zone anymore, but they made me buy flood insurance

Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM

We're on the old West course and we are still in the flood plain. Maybe some of the east moved out? From the Vogel Creek dig out? Not sure...

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
It is encouraging to see all of this positive buzz about Inwood and Candelight Oaks. We bought in CO 4.5 years ago back when we have no kids because of the large attractive homes (most in the area of 3000sf), reasonable prices, and short commute to downtown. From where we are it is just a 20 minute commute down TC Jester and IH-10 to downtown, and about the same to the Galleria if you get on 610 at TC Jester and head down that way.

Candlelight Oaks is definitely seeing a shift in demographic from empty nesters to families with young children. I was also pleased to see we had a gay household buy in the hood last year, which is encouraging since gays for whatever reason seem to lead the charge in bringing back a neighborhood to glory.

From my view the biggest negatives for CO are about the same as for Inwood - proximity to trashy apartments and quality of schools. The apartment people don't bother us too much in our neighborhood, although it definitely doesn't improve an outsider's perception of the area. Many of our families send their kids to Our Savior Lutheran School, since most of the neighborhood is zoned to HISD (I think a portion of the neighborhood north of Tidwell is Aldine ISD).

Hopefully they will be successful in having the old Inwood Golf Course turned into park land, because what happens to that will likely be the biggest factor in the direction Inwood takes in the next decade. I'd honestly love to see more activity by the city to crack down on these slum apartments, condemn them, and demolish them (just condemning them and leaving them doesn't do much good because of squatters, as DeSoto has shown).

As for the grocery store question posed earlier in the thread, we split between Randalls on W 34th, Food-A-Rama, Kroger at Antoine and Tidwell, and Food Land depending on who has what on sale. My preference for general grocery shopping is Food-A-Rama. Kroger is closer but the employees there are incredibly rude and unhelpful, and it is kind of scary there after dark (thus it is dubbed the "ghetto Kroger"). Food Land has good sales but has narrow aisles and is overrun with hoodrats and illegals on the weekends, making a Saturday grocery run about as fun as going to the dentist. Randalls I shop at mainly because it is on the way home from work.

I guess my overall thoughts are the area has a lot going for it, but definitely has some challenges to overcome.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 PM

BillyOCeansEleven, loved all your thoughts. I'm excited to see all the positive buzz too! The area is so close to making the change over...you can see it changing. For us in Inwood I think it hinges on the course. CO is so nice, I drive past it everyday on the commute in (which I use TC Jester).

We really love the new Randall’s on 34th and 290. They are so stinkin’ friendly there! Also, I’m still shocked to say it, but that darn FoodaRama on Antoine and Victory has the best produce we’ve found.

We are also noticing a ton more foods there catering to the Hispanic market.

I still haven’t heard any more news on the City buying the golf course…just sittin’, wishin’ waitin’…

Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM

137 posts, read 284,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasesaythe4th View Post
yeah, i thought i heard somewhere that this wasnt a flood zone anymore, but they made me buy flood insurance
We moved out after FEMA almost forced us out but it was probably for the best. You don't have to answer this but how much is your flood insurance now? Or is it considerably higher than before?

From what I remember, FEMA officials who wanted us to sell, had told us that insurance was going to sky rocket. It was probably a gimmick to get us to sell but we did good on selling it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston