Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:34 PM

101 posts, read 119,429 times

Advertisements

I would second Hugo's or Caracol as well as Las Alamedas in Katy. Another option I did not see above is Pico's @ Kirby and Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,307,174 times
Pico's

Old 05-10-2017, 06:30 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,058,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Not for Mother's Day. Not upscale, and the food is not that great, either.
Hugo's, Caracol - both excellent food, and nice ambiance.

For South American perhaps Churrascos Memorial City, or River Oaks?
Or Saldivia's South American Grill (great food, but I don't care for the interior)

Check the menus (online) and make reservation. Those places are pretty busy, especially for special occasion.
These.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:10 PM

311 posts, read 452,097 times
Near the Galleria, I would highly recommend Tango & Malbec, which as the name suggest is Argentinian, so it may not meet the Mexican criteria, but a good place nonetheless.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:28 PM

62,060 posts, read 87,781,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Good suggestions. Another one would be Irma's, they are located on Chenevert Street, across the street from Minute Maid Park. There is no menu, you have to eat what "Irma" makes that day! But it is good, but also $$$, and reservations are usually a must.

^^^^^ Interesting! Will go and try.
Is that the same place? This one has menu online....
https://www.zomato.com/houston/irmas...gn=GoogleMenus
Ugh.... my bad. I think you meant this one:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zag.../irmas-houston

Old 05-11-2017, 07:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,732,872 times
People in the legal community in Texas praise Irma's. It's near the courthouse. I've never been but would love to go. I don't associate it with "upscale" atmosphere or food, though. I would recommend Pico's. It's "upscale" but has a lot of staples as well. Haven't been to Caracol, but I'd love to try that place.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 AM
bu2

24,149 posts, read 14,989,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
^^^ I have to agree. To me, Ninfas quite is inferior to El Tiempo. Perhaps its just my tastes but I would never compare the two and would never choose Ninfas over El Tiempo.
El Tiempo is definitely a step or two above Ninfa's.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:12 AM
bu2

24,149 posts, read 14,989,666 times
Hugo's is "upscale." El Tiempo is really good, but it feels more like a Pappasitos in the atmosphere.

Personally I think Irma's is overrated. Its good and its different, but its not great and tends to be a little pricy compared to the competition.

Now Hugo's is in Montrose and Irma's is downtown. The original El Tiempo is in the Greenway Plaza area (although I think someone said there is one outside the loop).

Old 05-11-2017, 09:17 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,222,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Hugo's is "upscale." El Tiempo is really good, but it feels more like a Pappasitos in the atmosphere.
Agree and I also agree with a comment upthread about liking El Tiempo on Navigation more than Ninfa's next door. What I really like about El Tiempo is that they have a large brunch menu.

BTW, I went to Hugo's newest restaurant Xochi last night. Great space and the Marriott Marquis is a nice, contemporary addition to downtown. Xochi was very good, but not fantastic. I'd go back, but wouldn't necessarily go out of my way for it, if that makes sense.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,781,366 times
I feel the same as far as atmosphere of El Tiempo. I don't care for it. What I go there for is the Carnitas cooked "Old School" crispy and sometimes quail. Now, all there meat is very good but those Carnitas have become the only thing I order anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Agree and I also agree with a comment upthread about liking El Tiempo on Navigation more than Ninfa's next door. What I really like about El Tiempo is that they have a large brunch menu.

BTW, I went to Hugo's newest restaurant Xochi last night. Great space and the Marriott Marquis is a nice, contemporary addition to downtown. Xochi was very good, but not fantastic. I'd go back, but wouldn't necessarily go out of my way for it, if that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston