Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 PM

189 posts, read 225,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
If you're going to do Pappasitos level of pricing, just go with El Tiempo instead. You actually get value for the higher prices, in terms of extra quality. There's one in Woodlake, Gessner just north of Westheimer.
El Tiempo is tex mex food. It's just a ninfa's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 02:47 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,426,971 times
For what the OP is asking, I'd suggest Las Alamedas in Cinco Ranch (new Katy) or Las Ventanas (off I-10 near Hwy. 6). Pico's on Richmond @ Kirby is another option inside the loop.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 AM

5,849 posts, read 6,222,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
What is upscale Mexican here if you don't really like Hugo's? I've not been that impressed with it the couple times I've went.

Irma's is damn good. I love that there's no menu.
For those of you that have been to Irma's, can you describe the dishes you've eaten there? I've never been and it sounds great. If I were to wander in, what could I expect them to be serving?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:03 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,098,022 times
There used to be Las Alamedas but the old location closed. It served Europeanized Mexican food: The Authenticity Myth | Houston Press

Quote:
If you have eaten in an upscale restaurant in Mexico City, you know what's happening here. This is exactly the kind of Europeanized food that elite Mexicans favor. For diners in Mexico City, authenticity is hardly a concern, but in Texas, this kind of European-style Mexican food is simply ludicrous. Who wants to go to a Mexican restaurant and eat a bad imitation of French food?

Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,310,773 times
Default Like mom's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
What is upscale Mexican here if you don't really like Hugo's? I've not been that impressed with it the couple times I've went.

Irma's is damn good. I love that there's no menu.
Ha! Unless you are Mexican, or brought up with someone cooking Mexican food at home, you might not see what the big deal is. The thing is, my mom used to cook a lot of dishes, they never had names, it was just 'Mexican food'. Sure, you could identify the ingredients, rice, beans, etc., but the way mom put them together was just a mish-mash of flavors.

Also, you have to remember that Mexicans, like other ethnicities, do not waste animal parts, so it could be something you are not used to. For example, my mom used to (still does) make a dish from cows tongue! A red sauce, green peas, potatoes... and it is delicious, tender. These are the kinds of dishes Irma's makes.

Another favorite of mine was my moms enchiladas, stacked, not rolled. Most people reading this will be familiar with the rolled ones, but my mom made them flat, like pancakes, and with cheese, or chicken, a red chili sauce, and always an egg on top. Dishes like that.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-10-2017 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-10-2017, 08:20 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
El Tiempo is tex mex food. It's just a ninfa's.
It's quite good TexMex, from my experience. I notice the difference in quality from other TexMex places. The Laurenzo family, which started Ninfa's in the 1970s, owns the chain. It has nothing to do with the remaining Ninfa's around town, which are owned by others.

It's not clear from the OP whether they're looking for interior Mexican or TexMex - they say "Mexican" but give Pappasito's and La Finca and Los Cucos as examples.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:25 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,781,366 times
^^^ I have to agree. To me, Ninfas quite is inferior to El Tiempo. Perhaps its just my tastes but I would never compare the two and would never choose Ninfas over El Tiempo.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:21 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,383,642 times
I've never been to it,
but I got to eat food from "Mi Pueblito" (Colombian) .... Oh my God, that food was so good

Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 AM

569 posts, read 1,082,716 times
For South American, I love Americas River Oaks. Great food and nice ambiance. It is pricey. They do have valet parking, but can also park for free in the parking garage connected to the restaurant/shopping strip. Definitely must have reservations.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:10 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,056,890 times
Irma's serves traditional Tex-Mex food...sometimes they offer exotic dishes like quail or deer meat tamales. They excel in customer service, and their lemonade is delicious.

Location on Chenevert is a favorite for city politicians...

A bit pricey, but worth going 2-3 times a year. It's a place I take out of towners as it's unique to Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston