Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 27,676 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain the difference between Mexican vs. New Mexican cooking? And perhaps tell me some good restaurants that specialize in each type?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
There are arguments/discussions on the differences between Northern New Mexican food and other New Mexican food and even how far up they go, geographically. It is not an exact or easy distinction, and the four borders of New Mexico do not define the exact cuisine usage, but here are some references you might want to look at and to me seem to be accurate:
New Mexican cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Food Timeline--Mexican and TexMex food history
Foods of New Mexico
NMSU: The Chile Pepper Institute - Home
I have some of my own versions of Rice, Carnnitas and Quesadillas. And cooks throughout the world vary on basic recipes.

I would say that generally most New Mexican meals are characterized by the serving of Sopaipilla's and Green chile or more specific "Hatch Green chile", chiles grown in Hatch, New Mexico. Jalapeño chili's which are common to all Mexican and Mexican-American cuisines are usually used less in New Mexican food.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-15-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would say that gernerally most New Mexican meals are characterized by the serving of Sopaipilla's...
At one time you could not find a Tex/Mex restaurant in the area that didn't offer sopaipillas included in the price of menu items. But lately I notice more restaurants either charging extra for the treat, or omitting it altogether from their menus.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,123 times
I grew-up in SoCal and now live here. I love Mexican food, sadly there is very little of it in Santa Fe. It is all New Mexican and after several years I have yet to acquire much of a taste for it. Here is my observation... at least compared to Mexican food in CA.

New Mexican - Lots of Green of Red Chili. Hot as hell. Thick tortillas. Pinto beans.

Mexican (Old Mexican) - Refried Beans, more fried items, free chips and salsa (a rarity in NM but common in CA), not very hot.

I guess it all depends what you are used to. In my opinion, the only "Mexican" restaurant near Santa Fe that is worth a damn is Gabriel's.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Mexican food covers a broad spectrum of styles from different geographic areas and is quite diverse. New Mexican and Tex-Mex (blech!) are regional subsets of Mexican food, as is what is offered in California.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
At one time you could not find a Tex/Mex restaurant in the area that didn't offer sopaipillas included in the price of menu items. But lately I notice more restaurants either charging extra for the treat, or omitting it altogether from their menus.

Where are you finding TexMex restaurants?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Hagerstown, MD. Waynesboro and Chambersburg, PA. Ayers, MA have had some fine TexMex restaurants. Operated by Mexicans who became US citizens and sought their fortune elsewhere...

But have not found any in the ABQ area....

Rich

Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Mexican food covers a broad spectrum of styles from different geographic areas and is quite diverse. New Mexican and Tex-Mex (blech!) are regional subsets of Mexican food, as is what is offered in California.
I spent a few days in Deming a few years back and the food there seemed much more Mexican than in Northern NM. What do you call that style down there, Sonoran maybe?

One major difference between Mexican and New Mexican is Mexican sauces are much more tomato oriented whereas NM is more chile oriented. Also I don't believe NM recipes use as much cumin as they do in Mexico.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-12-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I spent a few days in Deming a few years back and the food there seemed much more Mexican than in Northern NM. What do you call that style down there, Sonoran maybe?

Mexican style foods are varied across the country... New Mexico style Mexican food is very different than Sonoran style. Why would you think food in Deming would be "Sonoran style". I guess the chef or restaurant owner might call it that for a variety of reasons.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Ummmm...Does it make sense to you that they might just be in Texas?

In New Mexico, we refer to essentially the same cuisine as NewMex/Mex.

Regardless, it's all about tacos, enchiladas, chile rellenos, chile verde, salsa, tortillas and tortilla chips, guacamole, sopaipillas and honey, flautas, fajitas, and etc. and because virtually ALL restaurant foods today come from food service companies, there is even more uniformity than there was before the advent of frozen entrees!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque