Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 AM

97 posts, read 145,868 times

Advertisements

I'd hardly call Kentucky 'Home of the Yankees'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM

97 posts, read 145,868 times
I apologize. It's just incredibly frustrating trying to plan a move from 14 hours away. This is the best resource I've come across. Some are not as welcoming as others and some simply don't take the time to read the actual post. It appears that most would rather reply with a tried and true party line of 'get a job before you come, live close to your job, why don't you do it this way instead of the way you've been researching for months?'. I realize you get some clueless idiots on here, but it's refreshing when someone actually takes the time to read a post or ask questions, rather than assuming that OP hasn't done any research and is planning on moving their entire lives on a whim.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times
I am sorry, but the OP has done nothing wrong. And these responses about Houston being "my city" and "know it all Yankees" are pissing me off. My family moved to Houston 9 yrs ago from Ohio (previously from the Mid Atlantic) and Houston is our home. We are not know it all Yankees. We care about this city, and we welcome new blood, as we once were. To get all defensive and shut the city's borders so to speak is rude, and well, horrible.

Ignore them. I have yet to meet Houstonians in person like some of the people in this thread.

Welcome to Houston.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM

286 posts, read 555,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
If THIS is your hateful attitude, please do not move here! I've lived here all my life, and my parents and grandparents have lived here all of their lives. I have a right to express my thoughts on MY city!
I was born in the Texas Medical Center and quite frankly agree, the levels of growth in the past 15 years has become ridiculous. Then again Houston didn't exist centuries ago. And technically most of the growth in the Texas Triangle comes from south of the border which as far as I'm concerned you can thank Texas own Ross Perot for. If he stayed out of the 1992 election Clinton would have never won and the border would have been closed. This demographic shift not surprisingly has made it extremely difficult to get even a moderate Republican into the White House.

And coincidentally all these professionals now want to move into Houston because the other cities have become unaffordable. I have a friend in NJ who's married with one child and has a household income over $100k/yr and he has to live in an apartment sized condo since he can't own a home thanks to all their redistribution of wealth programs. No shock with his company sending him to Dallas for business he now wants to move there.

Regardless it's the City of Houston that decided in the late 90's not to expand the West 610 Loop, and also decided to build Westpark Tollway which opened overcapacity. If Houston had actually expanded the West Loop and built Westpark with more lanes then commuting from places like Memorial to Downtown wouldn't be such a hassle. Pretty much unless you live near Downtown the commute will indeed take some time.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Texas Releases List of State's Most Congested Roads | The Texas Tribune

So delays along the West Loop cost $81.84 million/yr. Along I-45 from Beltway 8 to 610 costs $116.49 million/yr, from I-10 to 610 is another $68.08 million/yr. No wonder why people from the Woodlands have so much trouble getting Downtown.

At least it looks like Houston intends to fix the problem, unlike the West Loop.
North Houston Highway Improvement Project

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 02-26-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM

19 posts, read 23,147 times
WOW Nugget_Brain! People have completely taken over your post with politics, small-mindedness and southern in-hospitality. I hope you got your question answered. lol. As you are aware I'm from Ohio and am moving to Texas as well. Please ignore these hill-jacks. They don't own their own thoughts, more or less the 4th largest city in the U.S. What gall ! lol.

I hope you love Houston as much as our family plans to when we move. And to do Houston an even bigger favor, lets tell our local yanks back home how awesome it is and encourage them to move here as well ! The more of 'us' there the better ! These people need to understand that the world isn't their little yard with an out-house out back. Its becoming/ is very 'global'. There small mindedness is there's and there's alone. Let me be the first to WELCOME YOU TO HOUSTON !

Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
This question comes up frequently. For some of us opening night enthusiasm is hard to maintain during the 6000th performance. But it should be. Please forgive our bad manners.

Try to remember that Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA, Harris County, if incorporated would be the 5th. That's just numbers. The area is more vast. You don't want us telling you that the Woodlands is great, while the job ends up with NASA.

Real estate agents are licensed by the state of Texas so they can work anywhere in the state. Most stick to their own chosen areas. The agent is not going to make enough money from your rental to care about a relationship, unless they are hoping to selling you that 400 thousand house. Your home purchase could possible be 35 miles from your rental.

Welcome to Houston. Live long and prosper.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Back in the first boom. DH's car pool could get to work from our subdivision near I 45 and 1960 door to door in 25 minutes. Three years later it took an hour and 1/2. I worked at a nursery that was in the deep woods just north of the airport. I took the summer off. Upon returning, there were hundreds of occupied houses that had been built. People were pouring in from all over the place.

The Houston area has a habit of putting in giant subdivisions and letting the feeder roads come later. We moved to Maplewood. They already had feeder roads connected to downtown.

Believe what you will. I lived it. It stopped when the bottom fell out of the oil business.
In 2010, I-45 was Texas most congested freeway.
TxDOT Names 100 Most Congested Roads | The Texas Tribune

Much of this is Houston's fault the Hardy Toll Roll extension into Downtown should have been completed 5 years ago, instead will have to wait until after 2020. That's near 15 years overdue.
Hardy Toll road connector making progress | Houston Politics | a Chron.com blog
https://www.hctra.org/about_construc...town-connector

Houston should have widened the West Loop over 15 years ago. Who knows when this will finally happen? Westpark is too narrow and will stay that way for decades.

Anyways Texas is back funding highway development for 2013 after it collapsed due to the 2008 recession. US 290 is being upgraded, 288 will need to be widened and the entire I-45 corridor into Downtown desperately needs to be upgraded.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Per your link, the decision for northern highways will not be made until 2016. Then they need to get funding, acquire ROW, engineering then construction. I will not live to see completion.

By the time it is halfway completed another million people will be here. Several years back the prognosticators said Houston's population would be doubled by 2020.

TxDot has no money for anything but pothole repair. There is talk of raising the gasoline tax a nickel a gallon. If any highways get built, they will be tollroads built with Spanish money.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM

HCTRA intended to take Hardy Toll Road to Downtown back in 2009. Now it won't be completed until after 2020. Traffic would flow much better had this taken place.
Hardy Toll Road Extension To Downtown - Traffic and Transportation - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

Anyways traffic flows much better out of Sugar Land. Both US-59 and US-90 will take you into the city. West Loop is a pain but what can you do when Houston thinks a tiny portion of Memorial Park is far too valuable. It's a joke that the West Loop b/w I-10 and US-59 were not widened when they could have easily been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston